Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Exorcist Version You Never Seen vs 25th Anniversary edition?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 01:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel compelled to buy the never seen version tomorrow at best buy but the 25th anniversary has a 75 minute documentary "Fear of God" while the version never seen has none.

Which one is better?

Also $14.99 does not seem that big of a bargain for the Version never seen.

I was hoping it would be $9.99 or one of those 2 for $15 deals.
Old 03-01-05, 04:06 AM
JM1

To be honest, it was a double dip for me, because though I prefer the newer version of the movie on The Version You've Never Seen (sound and pic are better too) , the Fear Of God doc is excellent and well worth having. You should be able to get the 25th anniversary edition quite cheaply online somewhere.
Old 03-01-05, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search is still everyone's ignored little friend:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....on+anniversary

My own opinion: Go with the 25th anniversary edition. You get a superior version of the film, plus one of the best making-of documentaries there is. The Version You Never Should Have Seen adds an amped-up sound track with cheap scares, pointless digital effects and a literalization of the ending that panders to people who haven't been paying enough attention to the movie to understand the finale.
Old 03-01-05, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Search is still everyone's ignored little friend:

My own opinion: Go with the 25th anniversary edition. You get a superior version of the film, plus one of the best making-of documentaries there is. The Version You Never Should Have Seen adds an amped-up sound track with cheap scares, pointless digital effects and a literalization of the ending that panders to people who haven't been paying enough attention to the movie to understand the finale.
Ditto. I wanted to know the same thing about a year or two ago,so I did some re(search), and ended up getting the 25th anniversary version. I haven't seen the other version, but I'm really not that interested in it. And I wouldn't pay more than 9.99 for it, $14.99 isn't a very good price. It's been on sale many,many times before for 9.99 or less. The retailers just try to gouge us on older stuff(original), when the new stuff (the beginning) comes out. I'd hold out for a better price if you are planning on getting it.
Old 03-01-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's enough about 'The Version You've Never Seen Before', for me, that I like it ... but only as a supplement to the proper, 25th anniversary version. [For instance, there are transformations which look fake in the original which look great in the new one; there are some subliminals; I do like the cleaned-up spider-walk ... but none of it is neccessary.]
Old 03-01-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own both versions. If I had to choose one, it would probably be the "25th."
Old 03-01-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
After much debate it was 25th anniversary version for me.
Old 03-01-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
There's enough about 'The Version You've Never Seen Before', for me, that I like it ... but only as a supplement to the proper, 25th anniversary version.
Yup... Personally, I own - and quite enjoy - both versions, but you must start with the 25th anniversary edition.
Old 03-01-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure I have a response in one of those linked threads... but I'll just chime in with more praise for the 25th Anniversary edition.

I prefer the original cut over TVYNS, so this is really a no-brainer. Plus, the extras are fantastic...
Old 03-01-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the difference:

The Exorcist - Better features.

The Exorcist: TVYNS - Better video and audio.
Old 03-01-05, 01:36 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget:

The Exorcist - Better edit of the film.
Old 03-01-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The video is only slightly better with TVYNS (though I haven't compared the two on my new and improved DVD player and display -- I'll do it tonight).

However, the audio is a day and night improvement with TVYNS. However, some raise a valid point about it being too "gimicky."
Old 03-01-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got them both and made a custom cover and put them in a slim double. It was worth owning both for me. You can get my cover at my website linked below if you like.
Old 03-01-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have TVYNS because it looks and sounds great and thats all I need,if I see the 25th Ani.edition real cheep I will pick it up.
Old 03-01-05, 05:15 PM
mwj

The 25th Anniversary edition is my preferred cut and the documentary included is excellent.
Old 03-01-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Another vote for the 25th Anniversary.
Old 03-01-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Better extras, better movie with the 25th Anniversary edition.
Old 03-01-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If you really loved the Star Wars "Special Editions" with Greedo shooting first and all sorts of CGI crap added to a lot of the shots, buy "The Version You've Never Seen Unless of Course You've Seen This Version in Which Case It's the New Version You've Also Seen", because it does basically the same thing.

If you have any taste at all, buy the 25th Anniversary edition instead.
Old 03-01-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
I'm just waiting for Exorcist: Beginning: The Version We Haven't Seen. It can't be worse than the one we have seen.
Old 03-01-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually like TVYNS. I bought the 25th Aniversry on WS VHS only weeks before I got my 1st DVD player (it has the documentary as well). My VHS copy is one of the few videos I never got rid of when I upgraded to DVD (Same thing with both Star Wars Box sets)
Old 03-02-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If you really loved the Star Wars "Special Editions" with Greedo shooting first and all sorts of CGI crap added to a lot of the shots,
I don't think it's fair to compare Greedo shooting first; Greedo shooting first runs completely counter to the original version. The stuff in the new 'Exorcist' which sucks just makes things which were implied and hinted at more overt, it doesn't (by my memory; I could be wrong) re-define entire characters. And the CGI improved things in 'Exorcist'; I'm sorry, but in the old version, that single-frame transformation looks crap. Great movie, lousy effect. Yes, the movie overcomes the crap effect easily, but I like it better when fixed.

But, keep in mind, I only actually saw it once, and it was in a theater full of people who'd clearly never seen the movie. I have fond memories of that cut because it was a good experience in the theater, so I look kinder upon it than it might deserve. And I certainly still prefer the original.

buy "The Version You've Never Seen Unless of Course You've Seen This Version in Which Case It's the New Version You've Also Seen",
This made me laugh because I did always think the title was presumptuous; why would you buy a DVD for a movie you've never seen before? I know some people blind-buy, I do it too, but why build the marketing campaign around it?
Old 06-25-05, 09:43 AM

exorcist

thanx for all the info and wise words 25th it is cheers