Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the least regarded best picture winner in your collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nearly all of us have the Citizen Kane's, Gone With The Winds's, Casablanca's in our collections, but what is the least highly regarded best picture oscar winner on your shelf? For me it's the 2 disc Around The World In 80 Days set - not really among the best-of-the-best for sure but still a nice movie. it was the second disc of features and I guess the nice case that made me buy it. What's your least best picture you own?
Old 02-28-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chicago. I've seen the stage version and the movie, but I can't say that I'm a very big fan.
Old 02-28-05, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy--GLADIATOR, a fun riff on the far superior BRAVEHEART theme, but about 10,000 miles away from legitimate Best Picture material.
Old 02-28-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll agree with Gladiator. I'll also have to add Driving Miss Daisy.
Old 02-28-05, 05:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably Gladiator or Shakespeare in Love, though I love both flicks and was happy to see them win.
Old 02-28-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gladiator here for sure.
Old 02-28-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Gladiator as far as "least" goes comparatively to other winners. I still love the movie though. It would have been Chicago, which i had bought as a blind buy but traded back to blockbuster.
Old 02-28-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forrest Gump.
Old 02-28-05, 06:26 PM
Banned

Which Best Picture DVD do I have that is the least regarded? Hmm, that's an easy one. Bad Boys II. Huh? What? It has to be a Best Picture winner? The Academy can go piss in the woods for all I care.

If this year's nominations doesn't tell the ordinary person just how out of touch the Academy is with the common movie goer, then nothing will. I mean let's face it. The Academy's job is to nominate late-year films that most people have not or will not see, just to help boost these films' box office numbers. None of the nominations grossed over $100 million and yet they wonder why people don't watch the Oscars anymore? A film that makes less than $100 million is usually considered a flop these days.

For example, I don't understand why Troy wasn't nominated for more than just costume design. I actually really enjoyed that movie. I watched it in 3-sittings however, so I wasn't over-whelmed by it all at once. But for entertainment value, I'll take a Troy over a Million Dollar Baby anyday.

And another thing I find despicable about the Academy is that it seems that they're in league with the professional movie critics. For example, the Academy pretty much knows what kinds of film they like to coddle to, so they go tell the movie critics to give bad reviews to other movies just so that it'll keep their box office numbers down, but yet sometime it backfires, as in the case of Passion of Christ. How many critics panned that movie, and how much did it make? And of course it was snubbed at the Oscars as well.

Now the above in just my theory, I can't prove a thing, but it makes you wonder why the films that get Academy attention get it, and other films that probably deserve it, get over looked. In fact, there was some reports that some of the Academy members hadn't even seen the movies they were voting on. So you tell me.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm getting a little sick of the Academy Awards lately.
Old 02-28-05, 06:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
anybody have a list of the last 40 or so years and i can tell ya?
Old 02-28-05, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
anybody have a list of the last 40 or so years and i can tell ya?
Here's a link:

http://listsofbests.com/list/10/

I don't own very many, only seven. Of those, my least favorite would have to be How Green Was My Valley. I only bought that because it was included in a box set which contained the great silent classic Sunrise.
Old 02-28-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Seems a lot of people bag on A Beautiful Mind as being undeserving.
Old 02-28-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forrest Gump or Chicago, both bought for my wife.
Old 02-28-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going My Way...not one of my favs, but it's on a 2fer disc with Holiday Inn (which, back when I bought this disc, was one of the few Fred Astaire movies on DVD.)
Old 02-28-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good post Mike Lowery, I agree totally... it's funny to watch the awards and see how "out there" some of the awards are.
Old 02-28-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Sorry about the rant, but I'm getting a little sick of the Academy Awards lately.
Rants are fine, if they are on topic and make a point. Learn the difference between a ramble and a rant.

And please don't make statements that are so obviously not based on anything substantive. For example, you said "None of the nominations grossed over $100 million and yet they wonder why people don't watch the Oscars anymore?" when in fact last night's Oscarcast had the best rating since 2000 - in other words, more people tuned in to see this broadcast than any of the 3 years when the Lord Of The Rings trilogy was in contention.

EDIT - Well, apparently ABC released some "optimistic" ratings figures which led me to make this statement, which now appears to be wrong. Apparently reality tv doesn't apply to facts.

Last edited by marty888; 03-01-05 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-28-05, 08:56 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
If this year's nominations doesn't tell the ordinary person just how out of touch the Academy is with the common movie goer, then nothing will. I mean let's face it. The Academy's job is to nominate late-year films that most people have not or will not see, just to help boost these films' box office numbers. None of the nominations grossed over $100 million and yet they wonder why people don't watch the Oscars anymore? A film that makes less than $100 million is usually considered a flop these days.......
1. How much money a movie makes has nothing to do with it's quality.

2. The studios put out the quality films late in the year so they get more oscar attention. So it's not that the Oscars award late year movies, it's that most movies worthy of consideration come out late. The only 2004 movie that didn't come out after Thanksgiving that I tought warranted a nomination was Eternal Sunshine.

3. As for entertainment value, I get your point. I watch movies mainly for entertainment. But even I realize there is also an artistic element to film. There's a difference between making a list of favorite movies of the year or making a list of best movies of the year. The Oscars are picking the best film, not the members favorite film.

Sometimes they overlap, but sometimes not. Someone might say Spider-man 2 was their favorite of 2004, but there's something wrong with them if they think that it was the best film of the year from an artistic stand point, for example.
Old 02-28-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I personally like Gladiator, and would rank it far above Braveheart (if I owned that, of course). Just my opinion.

Anyway, I'd say American Beauty. Was a one-shot deal for me. I just don't find anything in it worth rewatching it for (well, beyond the obvious ).
Old 02-28-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdoug57
Forrest Gump or Chicago, both bought for my wife.
Yea, Forrest Gump was the first film that came to my mind. I always thought that movie was way overrated. If not Forrest Gump, then I'd have to say American Beauty.
Old 02-28-05, 09:03 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by marty888
...when in fact last night's Oscarcast had the best rating since 2000 - in other words, more people tuned in to see this broadcast than any of the 3 years when the Lord Of The Rings trilogy was in contention.
No they didn't. Ratings were down this year.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Hollywood is now 0-3 in the world of major league awards shows.

Following in the footsteps of both The Golden Globes and Grammy Awards, ratings for Sunday night's 77th Annual Academy Awards were down this year.

Some 41.5 million viewers on average watched ABC's Oscar telecast this year, a 5 percent drop from 2004, according to Nielsen Media Research. The sweep by "Million Dollar Baby," the Clint Eastwood boxing flick that won four of the top six awards, drew a 25.2 rating and a 38 share, according to figures released Monday afternoon by ABC....
Old 02-28-05, 09:27 PM

I guess it depends what article you read.....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ings-abc_x.htm
Old 02-28-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
My least favorite of what I own is Rebecca.
The least regarded is On The Waterfront. Elia Kazan testified before the HUAC, so it's unacceptable for political reasons.
Old 02-28-05, 09:58 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
I guess it depends what article you read.....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ings-abc_x.htm
Nope. That one says it's a 1% increase in the top 56 markets. The cnn one I posted is the overall nielson ratings, which were down 5%.

So it's not conflicting, but rather just a different stat. The overall ratings are what matter most, just looking at the 56 top markets is silly.
Old 02-28-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Although still beloved by many, Best Picture-winning musicals that I own such as The Sound of Music and West Side Story are often regarded harshly as hokey and maudlin. It seems like more people these days have mocked songs like "I Feel Pretty" than have actually seen the films.

DJ
Old 03-01-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Chicago. I've seen the stage version and the movie, but I can't say that I'm a very big fan.
same here....this is a movie that just didn't do it for me. I guess that I'm not a musical type of guy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.