Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

X-FILES - What were the Main Unanswered Questions ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 06:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot has been written comparing Lost with X Files and the danger of having too many unanswered questions.

I watched a fair bit of the X Files but wasn't a fanatic fan and missed much of the last few seasons.

so after it all, what were the main unanswered questions that the X Files left behind ?
Old 02-28-05, 09:09 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm i'd say..why did they ever continue the series after the movie would be my big question..basically the movie moved the stories plot beyond a point were they could successfully back track and continue on like it didn't happen.
Old 02-28-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
There were some with unsatisfatory answers as well. Mulder's sister for one.
Old 02-28-05, 10:15 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The last few seasons muddled everything up to the point that I'm not even sure what the questions are any more, to say nothing about the answers. I watched the show religiously for six seasons, and then towards the end I got so confused by things I could hardly recognize the show any more.
Old 02-28-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The last few seasons muddled everything up to the point that I'm not even sure what the questions are any more, to say nothing about the answers. I watched the show religiously for six seasons, and then towards the end I got so confused by things I could hardly recognize the show any more.
Same here. I just... gave up on the show at some point. It just kept trying to entangle too many things together, to the point where it no longer felt worth it to try to keep up. Disappointing the route the show took towards the end, and the main reason I favor keeping most shows to around 5-6 seasons.
Old 02-28-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show got wonky after season six. It was still a good show but there were too many characters and too many tangents into past episodes. I believe it officially jumped the shark somewhere in season seven. One question I have is did they officially figure out the father of Scully's baby? I know it was strongly hinted that Scully and Mulder had gotten busy at one point, or points, but I don't recall that it was ever a "Mulder is the father of my baby" deal.
Old 02-28-05, 12:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is begining to sound like Desperate Housewives.
Old 02-28-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I share the thoughts of others here. After season 5 I didnt understand what the hell was going on anymore. I stopped watching about season 7. They should have stopped before the movie and tied up most loose threads in the movie but FOX had to milk it.
Old 02-28-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
The show got wonky after season six. It was still a good show but there were too many characters and too many tangents into past episodes. I believe it officially jumped the shark somewhere in season seven. One question I have is did they officially figure out the father of Scully's baby? I know it was strongly hinted that Scully and Mulder had gotten busy at one point, or points, but I don't recall that it was ever a "Mulder is the father of my baby" deal.

I don't think they ever explicitly said Mulder was the father, but I think the insinuation was pretty strong that he was the father.
Old 02-28-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
The main unanswered question -- Why did I keep watching for so long?
Old 02-28-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel like they pretty much said that Mulder was the father of the baby during Season 9.

The two part "wrap up" of what happened to Samantha in season 7 was crap. It absolutely shouldnt have ever happened like that and if someone asks me what was wrong with the final seasons of The X-Files, its the first thing that pops to my mind.

Season 7 and Season 8 have their good moments. I think the Season 8 finale would have probably been the best place to leave it. Some of the standalones in Season 9 arent bad, but the mythology episodes just make you want to cringe.
Old 02-28-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out whether the supersoldiers were aliens or part of a government program. That was one of my unanswered questions. After the last couple seasons I couldn't figure out whether there actually were aliens or if it was all a govt conspiracy to drive me nuts.
Old 03-01-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by JesseCuster
I know it was strongly hinted that Scully and Mulder had gotten busy at one point, or points, but I don't recall that it was ever a "Mulder is the father of my baby" deal.
That was my question, did they actually get it on, and was it good?
Old 03-01-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even bigger question - what are they going to do in the next movie?
Old 03-01-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I'm still trying to figure out whether the supersoldiers were aliens or part of a government program. That was one of my unanswered questions. After the last couple seasons I couldn't figure out whether there actually were aliens or if it was all a govt conspiracy to drive me nuts.
My take on it was that instead of forcing Dogget to follow some conspiracy that was Mulder's passion, the whole "super soldier" thing was created for a whole new unrelated conspiracy that would capture Dogget's passion. Since he was rescued by them in the Gulf, and pretty much owed his life to them we were supposed to get behind it. It was kinda flimsy and not executed very well.

To answer your Q, a gov. thing. I don't think they were alien.
Old 03-01-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To answer your Q, a gov. thing. I don't think they were alien.
It was pretty much stated that they were a part alien hybrid.
Old 03-01-05, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
It was pretty much stated that they were a part alien hybrid.
That's the way I remembered it, too.
Old 03-01-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did the show start sucking once it left Vancouver?

I really did enjoy it for a time though! well done TV.
Old 03-02-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by buzzdalf
That's the way I remembered it, too.
I guess my memory was hazy. Or I conjured up something better than the writers in my mind.