Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Can someone help me with a Tivo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-05, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me with a Tivo question

Is it possible to set tivo to record say, an extra 5 minutes on top of what its suppose to record? Several times now, the end of the show is cut off which is annoying when you have watched an hour of the show to only miss the ending. I know i could program it to record the next show and therefore catch the ending, but i don't want to have to keep doing that.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Old 02-26-05, 06:48 PM
Cool New Member

Once you have scheduled a program, select Options, you should see a Recording Options menu. Click on the Stop Recording selection and pad the five minutes.
Old 02-26-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SonicCookie
Once you have scheduled a program, select Options, you should see a Recording Options menu. Click on the Stop Recording selection and pad the five minutes.
If you only have one tuner then be careful not to overlap with another show.
I know alot of people who have this problem when they want to record LOST and The West Wing. LOST on ABC usually goes over, The West Wing on NBC usually starts on time. So, if they want to record both, they can't because of the overlap. If you have Directv w/ 2 tuners you will not run into this problem unless you're recording 2 shows after LOST.
Old 02-26-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Now if only there was a way to have it start recording about 2 minutes late (darn ABC and their Wednesday time shifts).
Old 02-26-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Now if only there was a way to have it start recording about 2 minutes late (darn ABC and their Wednesday time shifts).

I've never done this.. but can't you manually record something? Using the time, day and channel like you would a vcr??
Old 02-26-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I've never done this.. but can't you manually record something? Using the time, day and channel like you would a vcr??
You can, but it would be much easier if it had the ability to do so on a season pass. If you set a manual recording, it will record whatever is on that channel, regardless of whether or not the show you want is actually airing that week.
Old 02-26-05, 10:54 PM

thanks guys - been missing the end of the shield for the past couple of weeks
Old 02-26-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The beauty of Tivo. Based on the shows I watch, it recorded a John Tesh concert.
Old 02-27-05, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
You can, but it would be much easier if it had the ability to do so on a season pass. If you set a manual recording, it will record whatever is on that channel, regardless of whether or not the show you want is actually airing that week.
There's a fairly simple hack to add this capability, if you have hacked your Tivo to get a command prompt in whatever fashion. Basically it adds negative padding options to the list. Seemed to work okay, when I still used it.

But for the most part, I simply stopped watching shows that intentionally make it difficult like that. They need viewers more than I need to put up with that sort of crap.
Old 02-27-05, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The beauty of Tivo. Based on the shows I watch, it recorded a John Tesh concert.
You always kinda struck me as a closet John Tesh fan.

All my Tivo ever picks up as suggestions is cartoons and science fiction. However, it is dead on accurate about my preferences there..
Old 02-27-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have season passes for Jack and Bobby, and Kevin Hill after Lost. Kevin Hill is the lowest priority so I also set up a weekly manual recording on that station from 8:05 to 9:00 and have it set to start recording early. I check the to do list each week and cancel the manual recording if it's not a new episode of Kevin Hill or if one of the other shows is a rerun - in which case the season pass of Kevin Hill would take over. It sounds complicated but it's really pretty easy.

I just looked and the idiots over at ABC have decided to pad Lost with an extra 3 minutes of commercials so I have to change the manual recording to start 2 minutes early this week. [sarcasm]Too bad I never get to see ABCs precious extra commercials.[/sarcasm]
Old 02-27-05, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by PresidentGringo
thanks guys - been missing the end of the shield for the past couple of weeks
Yep, a good rule of thumb is to always pad the F/X shows and always pad the HBO shows. Even HBO movies (esp. the Cinemax movies) often need padding, I've discovered.