Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you buying less "Special Editions"? Do you always buy "Special Edition" versions?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Are you buying less "Special Editions"? Do you always buy "Special Edition" versions?

Old 02-25-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there was a regular and a special edition version of a DVD, I always used to buy the special edition version. Didn't matter on the price difference, I felt inadequate if I didn't own the superior version.

Just lately, however, I've started asking myself "why?" Most of the time, the most I ever watch of the extras is a quick flick through after I've watched the movie for the first time. After that, I rarely ever even click on them again, let alone watch a second or two.

So I was just about to pre-order the Man on Fire Special Edition DVD, when I suddenly realised that I didn't give a damn about any of the additional extras on Disk 2. Then I went to pre-order Lemony Snicket and realised the same thing.

Why should I shell out extra for stuff that I really don't care about?

Sure, there are movies where I do want all the extras, or I think I might do, but the vast majority of the time I don't.

So now I'm gonna start only buying Special Editions when I really actually want the additional extras on the Special Edition (or it features an extended cut or something like that). Otherwise, single disk release for me.

What's your approach to Special Editions?

Last edited by Squirrel God; 02-25-05 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 10:57 PM

there's gotta be a difference.
6th day over 6th day se there really isn't any, go for the cheaper one
one flew over the cuckoo's nest I HAD to get the one with the better picture quality and 5.1
can't think of many others now...
Old 02-25-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always buy the Special Edition...but I think I've watched extras on about 3 of my 500 or so DVD's. Yeah, it's just an obsession.

Edit: Typo. If you're really curious, you can play "Where's Typo" (get it, like Where's Waldo? God I'm witty) in the quote below.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 02-25-05 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I always buy the Special Edition...but I think I've watched extras on about 3 or my 500 or so DVD's. Yeah, it's just an obsession.

-JP
Exact same situation here. I always have to own the BEST version (in R1, of course), even though I rarely watch extras. Guess we're just marketing pawns
Old 02-25-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the beginning of the format I bought the SE or deluxe version of everything I could. If the SE was a release that came out much later it I would only buy it depending on how much I liked the film and what the extras were. Today if I buy the standard version cheap the week of release and the double dip comes out months later I usually only buy it for a different cut of the film and not for any extra bonus material.
Old 02-25-05, 11:34 PM

I usually watch the majority of the features on my discs at least once, but there are alot of times they only mildly amuse me or lead me to watch them again. Most of the time, I only care about DVD Commentaries. I can't get enough of them. Most other features I don't care for (Except "The Snowball Effect" on Clerks X. One of the best, most comprehensive documentaries on a DVD...evar )
Old 02-26-05, 12:04 AM

Its all about the audio and video quality. I buy whatever has the best. I think "Extras" are a waste of possible bitrate whether it be for an improved audio track or more video detail. I think I listened to some of the commentary on Toy Story and a little bit of the extras for Aliens. Not my kind of entertainment. So if SE/UE/etc offers something more in the way of quality, I buy it. Otherwise its whats on sale...
Old 02-26-05, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by KPlummer
Its all about the audio and video quality. I buy whatever has the best.
I agree completely. Extra features are always a welcome addition but when it really comes down to it I buy whichever has the better transfer.
Old 02-26-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I try to buy SEs when I can afford them. I almost always hold out for the better editions just because I'm snobby like that. DVDs made me this way, I swear.
Old 02-26-05, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
I try to buy SEs when I can afford them. I almost always hold out for the better editions just because I'm snobby like that. DVDs made me this way, I swear.
You can say that again. I bought Eternal Sunshine the day it came out. Then, about a month ago, I walked into WalMart and saw the S.E. on the shelf. Now, every time I look at my DVD collection, I think of how much cooler that shiney 2-disc edition would look in place of the stupid yuckie dumb regular old edition. I swear, I've turned into a primate because of DVD's...I always gravitate toward shiney objects.

PS: What part of Houston?

-JP
Old 02-26-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would agree with those who say it's the A/V quality that's important, but I don't have any hard and fast rules when it comes to DVD buying. I take it on a case-by-case basis and ask myself if spending extra for the SE is worth it. I did get the SE of Raging Bull because it wasn't that much more than the single-disc edition, and because the single disc edition has no extras at all. Also, I knew the extras were of high quality, and it is an important film that I would want extras for. However, I'm sure not going to spend a lot more, like with the Ray LE or the LE of The Shawshank Redemption. I've always been that way, but HD being on the horizon has reinforced my feelings about this. I mean, I don't mind rebuying something that cost me less than $20 later when it is released in HD, but I would hate to spend $30 or more for something and then want to get the HD version.

So, I guess I will say I won't always get the SE, especially when the more fully loaded edition is priced significantly higher than the non-SE, and if the cheaper option has some extras. I've never been one to buy "gift sets" where a regular DVD is packaged with something like a CD soundtrack or a movie cell.

Oh, and about Eternal Sunshine: no way. I'm happy with the single-disc edition I already have with some nice extras, especially considering the SE has no better A/V quality. Besides, I like the keepcase better than the digipak.

Last edited by Drexl; 02-26-05 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-26-05, 12:34 AM

I'm not going to upgrade...not because I don't want to (I'm the exact opposite, prefer the digipak to the keepcase), but because I don't want to support studios that release a SE of a film only months after the initial release. If I ever see it in a pawn shop for $6 or so (like, a year from now) then I'll consider buying it, but otherwise I'll stick with the one I have. It just irks me to know that there's a version out there with more features than the one I have...even if I'll never watch the features. I'm so anal...it's really sad.

-JP
Old 02-26-05, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy the first version that comes out - period. The movie is the only thing that matters to me.
Old 02-26-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tandem
I buy the first version that comes out - period. The movie is the only thing that matters to me.
B-I-N-G-O

.. unless there are existing versions available when I'm interested in purchasing a title. I have a priority list and if by the time I get around to buying a certain title, I may actually have a choice. Brazil would be one example, albeit maybe not the best example. I slapped down the bills for the thee disk set mainly for both cuts of the film, but that's it. However, I would have been perfectly happy with the bareboned release if it were not for the availability of the second film cut. I think Drexl nailed it though .. it's case by case with heavy leaning towards best quality on top.

As of a month ago, I now own a region free player and I have to say, with respect to available editions, director's, special, ultimate .. so on, the decision making process is going to be that much more problematic.

At least with overseas "bigger" releases, they are done right. The material is spread out over two to three disks on special editions and there are commonly multiple soundtracks, more specifically, DTS tracks. So, with respect to quality and available options, usually the SE versions win out over region 1 releases. The best of both worlds and this SE versus bare question is almost moot ...

Last edited by visitor Q; 02-26-05 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-26-05, 07:46 AM
Cool New Member

Oh, and about Eternal Sunshine: no way. I'm happy with the single-disc edition I already have with some nice extras, especially considering the SE has no better A/V quality. Besides, I like the keepcase better than the digipak.
I was prepared to buy the Eternal Sunshine SE 2-disc set. When I looked it over, I couldn't justify shelling out the $20+ on it. Much of the bonus material from the single disc is getting recycled on the second disc of the SE. As mentioned, the A/V quality is the same. In my opinion, the SE in this case is just another marketing ploy (*no big surprise*) to get the buyer to shell out another $20+ on the same title. In this case, didn't Universal more or less just break the single disc edition into 2 DVDs, add a little fat to the bonus materials, and slap the banal "Collector's Edition" across the top?

There are some very nice special/collector's editions out there, but likewise it seems studios also use this as a tactic to get people to pay double the price for the same title.

But I could be wrong...
Old 02-26-05, 08:07 AM
Banned

I try to only buy Special Editions, if it's Barebones it should at least be anamorphic or a Superbit.
Old 02-26-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care about extras, since I have so many discs I barely have time to watch the movie, much less anything else. I'll only buy an SE if it offers an A/V improvement (anamorphic, DTS, etc.) over the other version or it's one of my all-time faves.
Old 02-26-05, 08:50 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like natevines, I'm a complete marketing whore--I figure if a movie is worth buying, it's worth getting the biggest, baddest version. And in the case of double dips, Blockbuster (a company I typically loathe) has made getting decent value from trading in my original purchase a reality, so I don't feel like I'm losing out too bad. Ironically, now that I'm a new father of a baby that won't sleep more than 80 minutes at a time, it's easier for me to watch extras than the films to which they're attached...
Old 02-26-05, 10:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i buy the SE because when it comes to a movie i love or really like i usually want to know as much as possible about the movie, how it was made, little tidbits. usually the back up material is more credence to why i liked the movies and is actually interesting, especially if they include the stars or directors i particularly like and admire. when i have a barebones for the enjoyable movie i usually need more.

sure i might only watch the extras once in a lifetime, but it is nice to know they are there!
Old 02-26-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I try to buy the best edition if possible esp. if I can get a good deal on it.

E.g. I was able to get the I Heart Huckabees SE for $19.99 so I got that instead of the single disc.

I got the Master & Commander 2-disc for $29.99 with a $10 MIR so I got that.

I couldn't find a deal on The Terminal 2-disc or Ray LE so I got the single-disc for both of those.

If a new SE comes out, I usually upgrade esp if I can still get a decent amount for the old version.
Old 02-26-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to have the most special edition of a movie.....period. Funny thing is, I never watch special features either. I owned the Matrix movies (separately), never watched them more than twice and never the special features and I just traded them in to get blockbuster credit towards the boxset. I hate myself. That's 7 discs I am not gonna watch too! (10 disc set, 3 for the movies)
Old 02-26-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I have to have the most special edition of a movie.....period. Funny thing is, I never watch special features either. I owned the Matrix movies (separately), never watched them more than twice and never the special features and I just traded them in to get blockbuster credit towards the boxset. I hate myself. That's 7 discs I am not gonna watch too! (10 disc set, 3 for the movies)
I double dipped to get the Matrix boxset and I watched every last second of the extras. But then they rank among my favourite movies of all time.

You have to double dip to get the improved transfer and 5.1 on the first movie too - which is really a massive improvement to boot
Old 02-26-05, 11:59 AM

I'll, 99% of the time, buy the SE on the intitial release. The only time I question the amount of extras is when it comes to double-dipping. It usually comes down to how many times in the last year I've watched the disc...

Recent upgrades: Get Shorty & Heat.
Recent Pass On: Half Baked (considered it for about half-a-second)
Old 02-26-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I buy whatever I want whenever I want it. If a newer version comes along that actually has more content I will buy that too.
Old 02-26-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ONLY buy the SE if the audio and particularly the video is improved.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.