Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Just beginning with RE 4...will I miss anything if I don't kill everything?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 06:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

I finally put my game in after buying open day. have been eagerly, eagerly, antcipating finally getting into it and i couldn't be happier! i already played the demo so knew what i was getting into. it is so intense. every single encounter is like gut wrenching and tense, every one.

Anyway, I was in the village at the very beginning and was wondering if I am missing anything besides the occasional peso or handgun ammo if I don't kill every villager and including the buzzsaw villager?

Should I be trying to kill them all because i was kinda going about it with some stealth. i mean it is impossible considering they all are alerted upon first encounter. but, the bell rang and they all went to mass and thus no more encounters. so am i missing out?

also, is there a way to get into the save room in the village with the weird red symbol on the door or is that for a later adventure?

Thanks for all...
Old 02-24-05, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nah nothing really to miss in the beginning. Im 25 and its hard for a game to keep me entertained for more than an hour now a days. Its been a while since I was able to play a game 4 hours straight without even realizing how much time has passed. The difficulty is perfectly set in normal mode. You will get stuck sometimes but never frustrating. The team in Capcom that made this team should surely get their props for designging the game the way it is.
Old 02-24-05, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Well, killing everything/everyone gets you more pestos and items. Killing the chainsaw men/women get you 10,000 pestos I beleive.
Old 02-24-05, 09:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
The difficulty is perfectly set in normal mode. You will get stuck sometimes but never frustrating.
Glad to hear this! I've been intrigued after reading the reviews and how different this is from the rest.

I never got big into the series as it was too difficult for me and I got sick of having to run around dodgning things to save ammo.

Sounds like both of those have been "fixed" in RE4.
Old 02-25-05, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Glad to hear this! I've been intrigued after reading the reviews and how different this is from the rest.

I never got big into the series as it was too difficult for me and I got sick of having to run around dodgning things to save ammo.

Sounds like both of those have been "fixed" in RE4.
i didn't like the series either. i bought RE-make when it first came out, put it in for like 15 minutes, hated the control scheme and then sold it. i saw a gameplay movie of this one and became interested. got the demo disc the next day, played it and absolutely loved it. the controls were so much better and much to my liking.

see i am a die hard "Eternal Darkness" fan and wanted another survival horror ever since and RE 4 is amazing and blew me away when i first demo'd. i bought on release day and haven't played until yesterday, simply because of time and now that i had all the time in the world, but like my dvd's i couldn't get over the not playing hump. yesterday i finally did and was SO glad. if you have a cube this is a MUST buy!

1 ? ...what is the best way to kill the chainsaw guy without having the shotgun yet, a grenade of some sort?
Old 02-25-05, 10:23 AM

In the beginning the best way to deal with the chainsaw guys is to run. Honestly!!! And on another note the first 2 bosses you'll face will make you say to yourself *HOLY S41T*. The big fish boss and the big giant will make you jump. Im half way thru disc 2 right now. Getting pretty difficult as expected but never to the point where I want to give up.
Old 02-25-05, 11:54 AM

In the beginning the best way to deal with the chainsaw guys is to run. Honestly!!! And on another note the first 2 bosses you'll face will make you say to yourself *HOLY S41T*. The big fish boss and the big giant will make you jump. Im half way thru disc 2 right now. Getting pretty difficult as expected but never to the point where I want to give up.
but if i were to stick it out and go for the gold...how best can i kill him and do it easily?

thanks for all the great info too.
Old 02-25-05, 12:10 PM

You should have the shotgun by the first time you face chainsaw guy. I'm pretty sure you see chainsaw guy in the barn after you find the note about the blue amulets, right? The shotgun is in the first part of town in the upstairs of one of the houses. I'd say that if you missed it, restart your game. You will absolutly need it soon, and it's a waste of $ to buy it.
Old 02-25-05, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Blotto
You should have the shotgun by the first time you face chainsaw guy. I'm pretty sure you see chainsaw guy in the barn after you find the note about the blue amulets, right? The shotgun is in the first part of town in the upstairs of one of the houses. I'd say that if you missed it, restart your game. You will absolutly need it soon, and it's a waste of $ to buy it.
where is this note for Blue Amulets? i got the shotgun, but after the villagers went to play bingo.
Old 02-25-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You won't really need all the money you get from killing all those villagers. The best way to make money is to collect treasures (invest in a treasure map, it's worth it), and defeat bosses. The chump change you get killing standard villagers isn't worth the trouble.

If you're really intent on killing the chainsaw guys, my advice is to use the shotgun, and wait until they get close enough for you to get a good headshot. I didn't have the balls to fight them with a pistol, and it would probably take quite a few shots just to get them to stagger, and I'm sure a hell of a lot more to kill them. It actually takes quite a few shots with the shotgun to kill them, so I couldn't imagine wasting all that pistol ammo on them.
Old 02-25-05, 06:53 PM

Anyone here beat the game yet?
Old 02-25-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone here beat the game yet?
Beat it awhile back. Awesome game as many of us mentioned in the other RE thread. Difficulty is just right so it doesn't get too frustrating later on and the action stays intense all the way through. The levels are probably more scary in the earlier parts of the game, but I enjoyed the look all the way through.

I honestly don't know how any game could be better this year, but maybe Zelda who knows.
Old 02-26-05, 04:59 PM

What do I need from very first merchant?

Just wondering what would be a necessity if anything? I was thinking maybe the medium attache case?? But that is $30,000 so I get that and only a couple other things. I also saw Rocket Launcher and stuff, but don't know if I need those right away because I didn't see too much ammo right after for the other guns besides rifle but it would be cool. Should i upgrade guns (shot and hand)?

So can anyone tell me what I DEFINITELY should buy with around $42,000 pesetas which is what I usually have when I get to the first merchant right after Chapter 1-1.

Thanks people...
Old 02-26-05, 06:06 PM

I'd go with the treasure map (it pays for itself) and the rifle. I can't recall if you needed the bigger case for the rifle-you might. I'm on my third time through and you can carry everything over to the next game so it's been awhile since I've had to upgrade anything. Have fun.
Old 02-26-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, you will be missing out on some ammo and money. In general, I'd say just kill every god damn thing in site, including the cows. Well, ok, you don't need to kill the cows, but it's damn amusing to knife it to death. I find in the RE games it's always best to just clear the areas anyway. And in this RE game, running out of ammo really is rarely that big an issue unles you just have crappy aim.

While it's probably true you don't need all the money, if you're like me, you'll want to basically buy everything, including the big prizes you get after beating the game. And you'll need a lot of money for that, so collecting everything isn't too bad an idea.

Having beat the game, all I can say is just play through it. It's just great. And the second time through, with all the upgraded weapons, is a hoot too.