Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any news on a VALENTINE R-Rated cut dvd?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this isn't the most popular slasher movie, but I was curious if anyone has heard whether or not the R-Rated cut will ever get a dvd release? I read at the Internet Movie Database that several scenes were trimmed down to get a PG-13 rating, because of the "political atmosphere" at the time surrounding violence in movies. Some of the trimmed scenes sound really cool. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-24-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I doubt it. It's a forgotten (and overall quite bad) horror movie. Most people probably wouldn't care if it's re-released.
Old 02-24-05, 10:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wasn't this already R during its theatrical release?
Old 02-24-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stickz2
I read at the Internet Movie Database that several scenes were trimmed down to get a PG-13 rating, because of the "political atmosphere" at the time surrounding violence in movies.
Scott Shelton is right, the trims did not reduce the rating (which is weird; you'd think if you're going to force cuts, you might as well go all the way).

This is what the IMDb says, under alternate versions (which seems wrong, since it was never released in that format): "According to director Jamie Blanks a lot of the violent scenes were trimmed down. This was not done to satisfy the MPAA (the original cut was rated "R"). Instead Warner Bros. thought that due to the political climate the amount of violence as shown in the original version was not tolerable at the time."

Then comes something unrelated, followed by this list which, I assume, is the stuff which was trimmed down:
- A scene where Dorothy is attacked by the killer and dressed as the Cherub was cut.
- Shelley's death was trimmed heavily. Originally, her neck actually split open and spewed blood. Now it is only implied. Ruthie's death originally contained blood flowing out into the shape of a heart. This was digitally "cleaned up" later on to decrease impact.
- The death of Kate's neighbor Gary, was trimmed. He was originally hit with the iron 11 times, instead of the 2 shown in the film.
- Dorothy's stepmother, Kim Wheeler (Benita Ha), is murdered by the cherub. After Paige is electrocuted in the jacuzzi, her skin begins to melt.

They list other deleted scenes, but none are given a reason why they would've been deleted to make the movie less violent, so I left them off.
Old 02-24-05, 12:35 PM

I actually liked the movie very much, but because the violence was edited, I decided to get rid of the dvd and wait for a new release. I really don't think it's far fetched to believe that a new edition may come out someday. Just about anything gets released these days and sometimes REALLY bad movies get released more than once. I may have to re-acquire that dvd again (price appears to have dropped dramitically recently) and hold onto it until hopefully a new releases comes along.

I should also note in agreement with the above posts that IMDB shows the movie was rated R and the DVD on Amazon also shows R-rated. I guess when I read the "alternate versions" section I assumed they changed the rating to PG-13, but in fact it was always R-rated even after the excessive violence was removed. I guess if the DVD was re-released it would be director's cut and probably still rated R.

Last edited by stickz2; 02-24-05 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, 'Enough' got a special edition and no one in the world wanted it...why not Valentine?
Old 02-24-05, 12:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Hey, 'Enough' got a special edition and no one in the world wanted it...why not Valentine?
The man has a point.
Old 02-24-05, 01:30 PM

Don't give them hope.
Old 02-24-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not Valentine? Because Enough is enough.
Old 02-24-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, God. Something I had almost mercifully forgotten (referring to Valentine. haven't seen Enough)

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 02-24-05 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enough Special Edition was great, especially if you like eating feces and copulating with dogs.
Old 02-24-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about you guys but I want an uncut version of Bats!
Old 02-24-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by demonio
I don't know about you guys but I want an uncut version of Bats!

ummm there IS an uncut Bats dvd

It was released PG-13 in theaters,then a 'special R rated version' was released on dvd.

You can find that in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart in case you are dieing to own it.

I would'nt mind an uncut Valentine. While not the greatest film,it was simply 'ok'...and I think all censored(either by the studio of MPAA demanded) films should be restored