Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary Tyler Moore Show, season 2 coming this summer!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-23-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that season two will be out this summer. I know lots of people have been waiting and praying for this - probably the second most wanted second season after Twin Peaks.

I never picked up season one because of the cost and the fact that it's not one of my absolute "must have" shows, and also because of the uncertainty that Fox would continue to release subsequent seasons. Anyway, now that it appears that there will be more season sets, and also because the price on season one has come down a bit, I may be tempted to get started on collecting it. It is one of the acknowledged great TV shows, which makes it fairly important part of a comprehensive collection of classic TV.
Old 02-23-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts
I hope the price point is a little more reasonable.
Old 02-24-05, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a good day indeed.
Old 02-24-05, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Halle-freakin-lujah!
Old 02-24-05, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Halle-freakin-lujah!
The audio was crap on Season 1, rent first if possible.
Old 02-24-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I own season 1. I didn't care if the audio sounded like crap. Mary Tyler Moore was on DVD and was a million times better than some old VHS tapes that I had. The fact that season 2 is finally being released is a godsend, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.... bad audio or not. Besides, for an old show the audio didn't sound too bad to me anyways.
Old 02-24-05, 08:10 AM

I own season 1. I didn't care if the audio sounded like crap. Mary Tyler Moore was on DVD and was a million times better than some old VHS tapes that I had. The fact that season 2 is finally being released is a godsend, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.... bad audio or not. Besides, for an old show the audio didn't sound too bad to me anyways.

It's a free country, do as you wish.
Old 02-24-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

*violin music*
Old 02-24-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice news - I though this was a lost cause.
Old 02-24-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by billy9215
It's a free country, do as you wish.
I intend to. A lot of people have wanted this second season for quite some time now. If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple as. Discouraging others is kind of a crappy thing to do, considering a lot of fans have gambled their money with the first season in hopes that FOX would eventually see good sales and release more of this fantastic show. You'll always have people who aren't happy though I suppose, meh.
Old 02-24-05, 10:55 AM

I'm really looking forward to this. I do wish they'd done a better job on Season 1 (why wasn't it like the Dick Van Dyke DVDs? They were excellent!) but at least we'll get it this way!
Old 02-24-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Given what happened with Quantum Leap's music, is the MTM stuff uncut or is the audio changed?
Old 02-24-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know this sounds silly, but I'm about to cry. I love this show. It aired during some of the best years of my life.
Old 02-24-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am very happy for you Mary Tyler Moore fans!
Old 02-24-05, 10:53 PM

I do wish they'd done a better job on Season 1 (why wasn't it like the Dick Van Dyke DVDs? They were excellent!)

WTF??
You MUST be joking with this comment.
The S.1 MTM DVD set is one of the BEST TV-On-DVD boxed sets available today. (IMO.)

Video quality is absolutely superb in every respect. Colors look sensational; not a bit of distracting video noise, etc.

And the Mono sound is not bad at all. Another one of these faces ---> applies with regard to the previous comment re. "crappy audio" on the MTM-1 set. Sounds fine to me. I'm quite certain the Dolby Digital Mono (2.0) sound utilized for the DVDs on MTM-1 is a good representation of how the show sounded in 1970-1971 when originally aired on CBS-TV. If dialog is "shrill" at times (and a lot of comedy shows can be), it's not due to the DVD transfer I don't think -- it's because that's the way it sounded in 1970.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how anyone can berate ANY part of the excellent MTM-1 set. Until the 5 Dick Van Dyke Show season sets emerged from Image Entertainment in 2003 and 2004, the MTM-1 set ranked (easily) as my #1 TV-On-DVD boxed set in terms of overall quality. *

* = Which, of course, includes the terrific nearly hour-and-a-half documentary "Making Of" feature included on Disc 4 of the set. A very good "extra" worth re-visiting on occasion.

MTM-2 on DVD ----->

Last edited by davidvp; 02-24-05 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-25-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Nice news - I though this was a lost cause.
Fox had already announced late last year that it was looking at several ways to get MTM back on track starting this year. It was even considering the Lost in Space approach--releasing the seasons in two volumes to have lower price points--but it apparently decided that the single-volume season would work best.
Old 02-25-05, 08:05 AM
Cool New Member

My wife and I are all over this one like an elephant on a peanut.
Old 02-25-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rasalas
Fox had already announced late last year that it was looking at several ways to get MTM back on track starting this year. It was even considering the Lost in Space approach--releasing the seasons in two volumes to have lower price points--but it apparently decided that the single-volume season would work best.
And even earlier than that, it was announced with an insert that came with the first season when it first came out for a release in the spring after its release.
Old 02-25-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And even earlier than that, it was announced with an insert that came with the first season when it first came out for a release in the spring after its release.
Well, I think that was Marty's point (to which I was replying): That Fox had reneged on that promise, so much time having passed since then that it had become a lost cause.

My point was that this "new" news simply confirms Fox's statement last year that MTM S2 was back on track and that it was looking at releasing it in one form or another sometime this year. In other words, it stopped being a lost cause last year when that announcement was made.
Old 02-25-05, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by davidvp

WTF??
You MUST be joking with this comment.
The S.1 MTM DVD set is one of the BEST TV-On-DVD boxed sets available today. (IMO.)
The menu system is one of the worst I've ever seen. It doesn't compare at all with Dick Van Dyke. As to the video quality, it's not bad but could be better. Same with the sound. There weren't anywhere near as many extras as on the Dick Van Dyke sets either.

As to it being one of th e best TV on DVD boxed sets, we definitely disagree. I own probably 10 different TV shows on DVD. MTM is among the worst translations of them. The whole thing feels rushed. I think this is why sales have lagged compared to other TV series that have been sold on DVD. It's not terrible, but definitely not as good as this wonderful show deserves. I hope they do a better job on season 2.

Last edited by whoster69; 02-25-05 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 04:48 PM

The menu system is one of the worst I've ever seen. It doesn't compare at all with Dick Van Dyke. As to the video quality, it's not bad but could be better. Same with the sound. There weren't anywhere near as many extras as on the Dick Van Dyke sets either.
The MTM-1 Menu design is a *tad* slow in taking you to where you can get to the "Play" button (granted). But other than a very slightly slow transition time (which is unusual for DVD Menus, I agree), I think the Menus are great on that set. Detailed Sub-Menus with multiple screens for EACH episode (10 chapter breaks for one 25-minute program; amazing IMO). *

* = But, perhaps that's part of what you dislike about it -- too many screens to navigate just one episode??

Anyway, YMMV (and obviously does in this MTM-1 regard) -- but I like the WHOLE nine yards about the Mary set, and just felt the need to defend what I consider is an excellent effort by FOX on that MTM set. It doesn't feel "rushed" to me in the least (if it had been rushed, I'm doubting they'd have done all those detailed 10-Chapter-Per-Show Menu screens for each of the episodes).

Re. Dick Van Dyke -- I *do* agree with you on those sets -- those ARE better IMO than ANY TV-On-DVD set on the market as of this date, including MTM (IMHO that is). Which is why I prefaced my previous remarks with "up until the Van Dyke sets...".

As to it being one of the best TV on DVD boxed sets, we definitely disagree.
Yes, we certainly do. But, to each his own.

I own probably 10 different TV shows on DVD. MTM is among the worst translations of them.
I can only respond to this comment with utter disbelief and bewilderment. Such a comment deserves
another icon IMO. Because I cannot fathom this attitude towards this excellent hunk o' boxed set. And I shall defend the MTM set as being EASILY one of the best of all current TV-On-DVD products available to the masses as of this writing.

Ciao.

Last edited by davidvp; 02-26-05 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Disc two arrived today via Netflix. After renting disc one I decided to purchase the set from Amazon when it was 60 or 70 percent off but the sale had just ended.
Old 02-28-05, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This show needs to pick up the pace! I really need the Chuckles The Clown funeral episode (as I'm sure we all do), and another episode I had not been able to forget about is a poker game where Lou is yelling to Ted "You are banished from my kingdom!" This show is one of those classics that has some of most memorable characters ever! Mary, Lou, Ted, Murray, and there's so many more. Television just doesn't get made like this anymore and even if the menu systems might be a tad slow or if the quality isn't 100%, I'm not going to be picky. The show is still going to entertain me just the same and I'll be able to have them forever.
Old 03-01-05, 05:10 AM

The quality is "100%" on the MTM-1 set. Always was.
All things considered, couldn't possibly be any better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.