Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Blink 182 going on "indefinite hiatus"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Not that I care, but I hadn't seen it reported here, so...

From E! Online:

Blink-182 is going on the blink.

In an announcement from its record label that stopped short of saying the punk-pop trio had disbanded, the group was described as being "on indefinite hiatus."

Television viewers may recognize "hiatus" as an old network term meaning "when your favorite show gets canceled, but nobody has the heart to tell you to your face."

Befitting Blink-182's newly murky status, Geffen Records said there was no timetable for the band to start being a band again.

"No one knows what tomorrow may bring," the label said in a statement.

Rumors of Blink-182's demise were sparked when the group was a last-minute scratch, along with Ozzy Osbourne, at a tsunami-relief benefit concert Friday in Anaheim, California. Osbourne's absence was explained as being prompted by a "family emergency"; Blink-182's was chalked up to "unforeseen circumstances."

A rep for Geffen confirmed that the "unforeseen circumstances" was the band's unraveling. There weren't details as to what went down, only that after rehearsals the word hiatus began being bandied about.

The official story is that guitarist/singer Tom DeLonge, 29, bassist Mark Hoppus, 32, and drummer Travis Barker, 29, want to spend time "enjoying the fruits of their labors with loved ones."

"For over a decade, Blink-182 has toured, recorded and promoted non-stop all while trying to balance relationships with family and friends," Geffen Records said.

Founded in San Diego in the early 1990s as Blink with original drummer Scott Raynor, the retitled band made its major label debut in 1999 with Enema of the State. The album was the unofficial soundtrack of skate parks everywhere, spawning the sometimes-jokey, always-catchy hit singles "All the Small Things," "Adam's Song" and "What's My Age Again."

Two more studio albums have followed for the tattooed trio: 2001's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, and 2003's self-titled release. Last summer, the band headlined a tour with fellow Southern California rockers No Doubt.

Barker, who joined the band in 1998, already has a side project set. He'll debut in April in the new MTV reality series Meet the Barkers, about him, his beauty queen wife and their children.

If the show does well, don't expect the word hiatus to come up anytime soon.
Old 02-23-05, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caught this on Fuse last night. Blink 182 was one of my favorite bands. A great band in concert. They will be missed.
Old 02-23-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad. Not a huge fan but I like them enough to not want to see them disband
Old 02-23-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always thought they were a very solid zippy little pop band that got unfairly got lumped in with vastly inferior imitators (similar to Def Leppard, for example.) I think this is probably a sign that they're really growing up and don't want to be doing boobie/fart/Satan jokes in front of 15 year-olds when they're 40. Good for them.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-24-05 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 10:13 AM

That's too bad...I wish I had seen them in concert.
Old 02-23-05, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
That's too bad...I wish I had seen them in concert.
I don't think you missed much. I saw them last year with No Doubt (the reason I was there) and they were pretty forgettable. I wasn't a fan to begin with so maybe I wasn't ready for their style... I dunno. They didn't have as much energy as you would expect. Definitely paled in comparison to ND.
Old 02-23-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks...I loved blink182.
Old 02-23-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1 crappy band down, 237 crappy bands to go.

I nominate Incubus for the next "disbanding"...unless Creed is still together.
Old 02-23-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Travis Barker as a drummer, but I'm sick of bands making money off real punk.....which has been over for some time. Green Day can sell albums, but that shit is about as punk as Hillary Duff.
Old 02-23-05, 02:50 PM

odd...

That news on their website was taken down. It'd been up for two days with over 3800 posts. Do they not want anybody else knowing they broke up?
Old 02-23-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He'll debut in April in the new MTV reality series Meet the Barkers, about him, his beauty queen wife and their children.

Old 02-23-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
:yawn: Who?
Old 02-23-05, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I like Travis Barker as a drummer, but I'm sick of bands making money off real punk.....which has been over for some time. Green Day can sell albums, but that shit is about as punk as Hillary Duff.
wank, wank, wank. they made money off their creative product just like every other band or artist before them and they didn't ruin punk, punk did a fine job doing that itself. people need to lay off Blink and Green Day and all the other successful bands to come from "punk" or "punk-pop" roots just because, in their eyes, they've sold out. its one thing to not like the music or a band because the sound doesn't appeal to you. its another entirely to hate a band because you think they ruined a scene. get real.

Last edited by WestEndRiot; 02-23-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
I was at the show on Friday, and was bummed that they canceled. Dave Navaro leaked that they broke up the day before. (not at the show, but somewhere else after the fact)
Old 02-24-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WestEndRiot
wank, wank, wank. they made money off their creative product just like every other band or artist before them and they didn't ruin punk, punk did a fine job doing that itself. people need to lay off Blink and Green Day and all the other successful bands to come from "punk" or "punk-pop" roots just because, in their eyes, they've sold out. its one thing to not like the music or a band because the sound doesn't appeal to you. its another entirely to hate a band because you think they ruined a scene. get real.
I don't think they ruined any "scene" since there wasn't one. Making money off something you had no part in is what bothers me. And the fact that they claim to still be punk is annoying. Personally, I am not bothered by their sound or anything, but you can't have the best of both worlds with punk (sound/attitude and selling platinium records). Again, you can't be on a major record label and be on MTV and be nominated for a Grammy and still be punk. It goes without saying. If they want to call themselves something else that's fine. Who the fuck are you, anyway?

Either way, I hope Travis does another Transplants album and/or they continue their side projects.
Old 02-24-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
That's too bad. Their last cd was great. I really got into it.
Old 02-24-05, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Personally, I am not bothered by their sound or anything, but you can't have the best of both worlds with punk (sound/attitude and selling platinium records). Again, you can't be on a major record label and be on MTV and be nominated for a Grammy and still be punk.
ah yes, the punker-than-thou attitude...gotta love it. no wonder the scene died.

oh, and i'm a music fan. nice to meet you. who the fuck are you?
Old 02-24-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw them live with No Doubt, and like a previous poster, they were not that good and had very little energy. I have to admit, though, they had some very good singles from all of their albums.
Old 02-25-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WestEndRiot
ah yes, the punker-than-thou attitude...gotta love it. no wonder the scene died.

oh, and i'm a music fan. nice to meet you. who the fuck are you?
same here. I don't know, to each his own, I guess. something just bothers me about a band that claims to embody the punk rock attitude/lifestyle and then you end up seeing them on Cribs or something. It seems too hypocritical. But whatever. In my mind, punk is and has been dead. If these guys don't, so be it.
Old 02-25-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
That's too bad. Their last cd was great. I really got into it.

Agreed.
Old 02-26-05, 04:47 PM

GG Allin - That was PUNK
Old 02-27-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't say I'm surprised. This band's been over for about 5 years now. The first time I saw them live, they were incredible. But a year later, I saw them again and they totally phoned in the show. Don't even get me started on those last two piles of shit they released as albums. But alas, Dude Ranch will always hold a special place in my heart, and for that album, I am grateful. Rest in peace, Blink 182...please?
Old 02-27-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
So, instead of one sorta ok pop group, we'll end up with three more-than-likely bad pop groups? Sounds normal to me.
Old 02-28-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FatTony
Can't say I'm surprised. This band's been over for about 5 years now. The first time I saw them live, they were incredible. But a year later, I saw them again and they totally phoned in the show. Don't even get me started on those last two piles of shit they released as albums. But alas, Dude Ranch will always hold a special place in my heart, and for that album, I am grateful. Rest in peace, Blink 182...please?
I completely disagree. I've been a fan of theirs since Cheshire Cat and I think their last two albums were their strongest.
Old 02-28-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw blink 182 a long time ago at a small club in minneapolis. Main reason i went was to see MXPX (let the flames begin), but I had heard Dude Ranch and liked it. I have to say, they put on a great show. Haven't seen them since, but at least on that night, they rocked out bigtime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.