Reload this Page >

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Official Specs Out

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-22-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are three versions for release on 4/26: a widescreen/fullscreen single disc edition and a two-disc collector's edition.

Specs on both versions:
audio commentary by Director Brad Silberling
Brad Silberling and the Real Lemony Snicket commentary
deleted scenes
outtakes
three featurettes
- Building a Bad Actor
- Making the Baudelaire Children Miserable
- Interactive Olaf

And on the Collector's Edition:
featurettes on
- the world of the film
- costumes and disguises
- Violet's Functional Designs
- incredibly deadly vipers
- the sad score
two features on the sound design
special effects analysis for several scenes
two gruesome galleries
- Shadowy Stills
- A Woeful World

Now, if they decide to add the theatrical trailers (and maybe a DTS track) to the releases, I'll be a very happy camper.

Personally, I can't wait. I loved this film and if Passion of the Christ wasn't nominated for Makeup, I'd definitely support this for Makeup. Also, I definitely think this could be a surprise Art and Costume winner.
Old 02-22-05, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats up with all the 1-disc and 2-disc releases lately and with the 2-disc price a lot more? i cant wait to see this, i havent heard too much about it but it looked really cool.
Old 02-22-05, 09:51 PM

real snicket commentary? es teh impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
real snicket commentary? es teh impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the hell did you just say?
Old 02-22-05, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 666 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
What the hell did you just say?
I'm not sure either, but he sure meant it with all those !!!!!!!!!!!...
Old 02-22-05, 10:02 PM

i dunno snicket seems like a person who would keep to himself and never have official records of himself on video/audio. at least while his books are still popular...its a marketing gimmick.
Old 02-22-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i dunno snicket seems like a person who would keep to himself and never have official records of himself on video/audio. at least while his books are still popular...its a marketing gimmick.
Exactly. There is no Lemony Snicket. I would guess that the commentary is with the author of the books, Daniel Handler.
Old 02-22-05, 10:18 PM

i kno. theyll probably have jude law on and pretend hes lemony snicket. that would be dumb as hell...

and btw i kno i was only kiddin about snicket. although it would be cool if he was real, i think the gimmick has gone far enough. becuase of it, sadler will still have little to no rep from his series...
Old 02-22-05, 10:25 PM

He's not trying to keep too quiet since he put out a movie and an Unauthorized Autobiography.

Last edited by Atreus; 02-22-05 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 10:30 PM

yeh "his" autobiography was quite crappy, and really dont blow the lid off of anything we already didnt know from Unfortunate Events. Most unexcelent!
Old 02-23-05, 08:24 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Now, if they decide to add the theatrical trailers...to the releases, I'll be a very happy camper.
Fully, heartily agreed but, considering Paramount's recent history with trailers (e.g. SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW), I wouldn't hold my breath. Here's hoping there's at least a Wal-Mart/Best Buy bonus disc released at the same time that features them...
Old 04-26-05, 09:11 PM

Hi. Is there a version of the collector's edition of Lemony Snicket that comes with a book? I saw one listed on futureshop.ca, but I'm not sure if just the regular collector's edition..
Thanks
Old 04-26-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Yeah, I think Wal*Mart carries it... I think I saw an ad on TV about it.
Old 04-27-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by johnsun
Hi. Is there a version of the collector's edition of Lemony Snicket that comes with a book? I saw one listed on futureshop.ca, but I'm not sure if just the regular collector's edition..
Thanks
I got my collector's edition from Digitaleyes and it came with a book in the slip cover. I think it might be different from the one I saw at Walmart, which had a different book and was packaged with the regular dvd.

And I am still working through the special features on this one. A very impressive dvd release for what I think is a very impressive movie. A++
Old 04-27-05, 02:08 AM

Hi.. Is the entire DVD shirk wrapped? Are you able to tell if the book is in there without tampering with the package? I might try to exchange it if I can tell if the book is not in there..

What's in the book anyways? Is it worth getting?

Thanks

Originally Posted by onebyone
I got my collector's edition from Digitaleyes and it came with a book in the slip cover. I think it might be different from the one I saw at Walmart, which had a different book and was packaged with the regular dvd.

And I am still working through the special features on this one. A very impressive dvd release for what I think is a very impressive movie. A++
Old 04-27-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 2-Disc Collector's Edition comes with a big slip cover that encompasses both the DVD and the book. The 2 were sealed together when I got it. The book is hardback and is the first book of the series, "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning." There is a sticker on the front saying that the book is in there, although that is obvious when you see the set. I didn't know this was going to be included when I ordered it. I had actually been meaning to pick this book up though so this worked out well for me.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-27-05 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Circuit City Bonus DVD for the 1-disk has:

Filming Sorrowful Scenes, which is a multi angle behind the scenes featurette
Dire Warnings, are the trailers.

It's 29 minutes total. Two parts, one is in the cave, the other is in the boat with leeches. You watch a split screen with four images and can choose whatever audio you want, or listen to a mix of them all. It is kind of cool when they actually do film the scene because you see the rough cut after.
To my knowledge, this is the only disk that has the Trailers.
Old 04-27-05, 01:52 PM
Banned

I thought the movie was ok. I liked the dark look but wasnt a fan of Carey in this movies...the others were great so I may still pick it up
Old 04-27-05, 03:19 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You gotta be fuckin' KIDDING ME!!! I buy the $30 mondo-bitchin' set and can't get the trailers, but someone who buys the rinky-dinky version half the cost of mine does??? WTF?!
Old 04-27-05, 03:48 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. The trailers are on an exclusive bonus disc bundled with the single disc version.
Old 04-27-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
You gotta be fuckin' KIDDING ME!!! I buy the $30 mondo-bitchin' set and can't get the trailers, but someone who buys the rinky-dinky version half the cost of mine does??? WTF?!

I wish Paramount was still reading this, but I wonder if it would make any difference.

Regardless, I'll wait till I find a used copy of the the 2 disc and the bonus disc in the local used CD shop down the road. Smooth move Paramount, I was going to buy it blind.
Old 04-27-05, 08:48 PM

I just saw the collector's edition w/ book in a store.. Boy, what a dumb idea to make the slipcover fit both the DVD and book.. After I finish watching it, I'm I going to put the book back with the DVD so it's doesn't wobble around inside?

Does the non-book version have a normal size slipcover?
Thanks
Old 04-27-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the non book version doesn't have a slipcover...it's just the 2disc cover art sans slip cover...so basically, what I did was throw the slip cover out...who needs it.

MATT

Great dvd and great flick. Also, skipping this disc just cause the trailers are not included is pretty ridiculous...especially since I can think of half a dozen OTHER paramount DVDS that have the Snicket trailer on them...some you probably already own!
Old 04-28-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Name some. Not cuz I don't believe you. I'm just curious if I actually already own any of them.

K
Old 04-28-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm open to constructive criticism) but isn't a trailer like a bogus special feature anyway. I mean I wouldn't be like, "Aww man, no talent bios, forget it, what kind of Collector's Edition is this?". Just my opinion...

I just saw the collector's edition w/ book in a store.. Boy, what a dumb idea to make the slipcover fit both the DVD and book.. After I finish watching it, I'm I going to put the book back with the DVD so it's doesn't wobble around inside?
Many recent dvds I can think of have come with a "book" and have also had a "slip cover" that is made to fit both the dvd and the book (Stand by Me: Deluxe Edition, Slacker Criterion Collection and My Own Private Idaho: Criterion Collection come to mind) Haven't hear anyone complain about those special editions. I ordered my Collectors Edition through the Circuit City price error and was stoked to get a "free" book with it... again, just my opinion...

I guess I just don't get the grounds for bitching. Fuck the trailer IMO.

Last edited by JackBurton; 04-28-05 at 02:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.