Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Miramax ever release Scream uncut on dvd?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-22-05, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since they have finally started releasing some 'unrated' versions on dvd.

Does anyone know,or think they will attempt to tie in the 2006 10th Anniversary of the film with a new uncut 16.9 transfer?

Now true,their current 'unrated' versions are basically R level films,while Scream was originally(foolishly) given an NC-17. So technically,they may be unable to release it unrated.

In that case,they could attempt what they did with Trainspotting and resubmit the uncut version. It passed with an R this time around. Since Scream is not 'too' graphic or anything,I don't see why the uncut version could not be R rated?

They also have the opportunity to use seemless branching and offer both versions,or slide by Disneys policy and release it unrated. Since afterall,there is no 'official' mention on the MPAA website of it previouslly being NC-17 and edited down to an R.

Until then,I'll just have to make do with my uncut excellent sounding laserdisc,while my old dvd copy catches dust on the shelf.
Old 02-22-05, 08:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
i didn't even know there was an unrated version...what was cut out?
Old 02-22-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What unrated discs that would've gotten an NC-17 or X have they started releasing? Darkness is getting an unrated release, but that was cut down from an R to PG-13.

Since afterall,there is no 'official' mention on the MPAA website of it previouslly being NC-17 and edited down to an R.
Er...the fact that the commentary itself discusses it and everyone familiar with the film at the studio knows about it might be a stumbling block.

DJ
Old 02-22-05, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From IMDB:

The US LaserDisc version contains 20 seconds of restored footage that was originally cut to avoid being slapped with the NC-17 by the MPAA. It also has commentary by director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson. In the commentary, Craven notes five places where his cut differs from the theatrical release:
-Steve's guts are shown pouring out of him as Casey looks on. In the released version, the very last few moments of this are shown.
-Casey hanging from the tree was time compressed in the film release (it is at
normal speed here).
-When Tatum meets her death by garage door, her head is shown, very briefly being flattened.
-After Kenny the cameraman's throat is cut, he stares at the blood on his hand after touching his neck, and then looks up at the killer.
-Billy clearly loses control as he delivers his final cuts to Stuart.
-After Billy and Stuart have finished stabbing each other, there is a shot of
Stu's hand dripping blood into a puddle, with Sydney's father looking on.
Old 02-22-05, 09:22 AM
Banned

The Korean R3 is 16:9 and uncut
Old 02-22-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if they're going to do a new edition next year for the 10th (althogh that sounds like a great idea)... but if you're region-free, the R3 Korean edition is uncut, 16x9, and contains the same extras as the U.S.

EDIT: That's what I get for grabbing some food before hitting Submit. digitalfreaknyc beat me to it.
Old 02-22-05, 09:42 AM

The funny thing is that they did release the uncut version on VHS, so I don't see why DVD would be a problem.
Old 02-22-05, 10:13 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I have the uncut LD version. Was disappointed when the current R1 boxset did not include the uncut version. Hopefully eventually...
Old 02-22-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
16:9 is the key. I can take or leave the cut footage. I might have to check out the R3 disc. I sold my set 2 years ago when I got my HDTV.
Old 02-22-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I have the uncut LD version. Was disappointed when the current R1 boxset did not include the uncut version. Hopefully eventually...
Possibly when Cursed comes out on DVD.
Old 02-22-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have held off since it wasnt the uncut or anam. edition. I had a copy of the uncut one off pay-per view a few years ago and the only differences I saw were more guts and blood.
Old 02-22-05, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by steebo777
Possibly when Cursed comes out on DVD.
That would be ironic, given that Cursed was cut from an R to a PG-13. I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

DJ
Old 02-22-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DealMan
The funny thing is that they did release the uncut version on VHS, so I don't see why DVD would be a problem.

not only that....but there were some prints of the uncut version that were screened in theaters, as I show the uncut version first....
I actually saw it at a dollar theater the summer of its release....the theater had a banner advertising that they were showing "the director's cut"...
I didn't think much of it until my school showed the R rated cut of the film the next semester and I noticed things missing from the beginning sequence and especially the Billy and Stuart scenes near the end of the film....
Old 02-22-05, 12:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The US LaserDisc version contains 20 seconds of restored footage that was originally cut to avoid being slapped with the NC-17 by the MPAA. It also has commentary by director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson. In the commentary, Craven notes five places where his cut differs from the theatrical release:
-Steve's guts are shown pouring out of him as Casey looks on. In the released version, the very last few moments of this are shown.
-Casey hanging from the tree was time compressed in the film release (it is at
normal speed here).
-When Tatum meets her death by garage door, her head is shown, very briefly being flattened.
-After Kenny the cameraman's throat is cut, he stares at the blood on his hand after touching his neck, and then looks up at the killer.
-Billy clearly loses control as he delivers his final cuts to Stuart.
-After Billy and Stuart have finished stabbing each other, there is a shot of
Stu's hand dripping blood into a puddle, with Sydney's father looking on.

IMDB doesn't seem to include that Casey's stabbing was also trimmed, the commentary makes mention to this as well.
Old 02-22-05, 02:23 PM

So this is the best version to get:

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=19485

Just checking as it's not listed on dvdcompare.net.

matt
Old 02-22-05, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattgoble
So this is the best version to get:

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=19485

Just checking as it's not listed on dvdcompare.net.

matt
Yes. There is a Japanese version that supposedly has crappy quality as well as an earlier Korean single release that was also supposed to suck.

This one is the best one.
Old 02-22-05, 02:41 PM

I have this disc, which is apparently out of stock pending a re-order at the moment. It is uncut and 16x9 and the picutre looks decent.

DJ
Old 02-22-05, 02:50 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I recall hearing that the director's cut negative was not available when they made the current R1 DVD and that was the reason for it not being present. Not sure if this is true or not since the Korean R3 DVD has the director's cut.

Despite the fact that only 20 seconds or so are trimmed, they are a damn good 20 seconds.

I'm particularily fond of the garage door scene.
Old 02-22-05, 02:52 PM

does anyone have or know of a site with screencaps of the uncut scenes? thanks...

-matt
Old 02-22-05, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by djtoell
I have this disc, which is apparently out of stock pending a re-order at the moment. It is uncut and 16x9 and the picutre looks decent.

DJ
That's the korean single disc i was referring to. It's supposed to be ok, but not very good.
Old 02-22-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don' forget the audio is also more impressive and louder on the uncut print

Yes the MPAA had a problem with it being 'too intense' at the time,so other than the 20 seconds of cuts, the audio was 'toned down' alittle(by having the volume at slightly lower levels).

That was the main difference I noticed when viewing the uncut laserdisc and it felt like a completely different darker film. I tried reviewing my dvd after seeing the laserdisc print,and it just didn't 'feel right' so to speak.

I would love too have this version on dvd in 16.9 though,but my laserdisc will hold me over until then.

..and yes I know Miramax's current 'unrated' dvds were of films originally rated R,or would get an R anyway in uncut form. That is why I said they could either

A-resubmit the uncut version and hope to get an R this time like they did with Trainspotting
B-release both versions on the same disc through seemless branching.
C-release it uncut anyway,and heck they could 'mistakenly' put an R rating on the package like they did with the original Trainspotting release years ago(before it was rerated R uncut). Disney never got after them for that,despite it being well know the disc was the uncut version of a then NC-17 film.
Old 02-22-05, 03:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
C-release it uncut anyway,and heck they could 'mistakenly' put an R rating on the package like they did with the original Trainspotting release years ago(before it was rerated R uncut). Disney never got after them for that,despite it being well know the disc was the uncut version of a then NC-17 film.
tsk tsk, the MPAA frowns down on this practice.
Old 02-22-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Don' forget the audio is also more impressive and louder on the uncut print

Yes the MPAA had a problem with it being 'too intense' at the time,so other than the 20 seconds of cuts, the audio was 'toned down' alittle(by having the volume at slightly lower levels).

That was the main difference I noticed when viewing the uncut laserdisc and it felt like a completely different darker film. I tried reviewing my dvd after seeing the laserdisc print,and it just didn't 'feel right' so to speak.

I would love too have this version on dvd in 16.9 though,but my laserdisc will hold me over until then.

..and yes I know Miramax's current 'unrated' dvds were of films originally rated R,or would get an R anyway in uncut form. That is why I said they could either

A-resubmit the uncut version and hope to get an R this time like they did with Trainspotting
B-release both versions on the same disc through seemless branching.

D-Give up all hope on Miramax, buy a cheap region-free player and settle for the R2 (Japan) or R3(Korea) disc.

Old 02-22-05, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
That's the korean single disc i was referring to. It's supposed to be ok, but not very good.
I popped it in once just to check on the uncut status. PQ looked fine. I can take some screenshots soon, if you're curious.

DJ
Old 02-22-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yes. There is a Japanese version that supposedly has crappy quality...
Where did you here that?
I own the Japanese Anamorphic release from Asmik (which is OOP I believe), and it looks great on my 50" TV!

Last edited by clappj; 02-22-05 at 03:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.