Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally got over not watching the "DVD's in your que" hump!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 07:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

So after months and then probably a year, I finally got over not watching all the DVD's in my que hump!

Let me explain...since I have started collecting seriously only 2 or so years ago, I was under the illusion that since I have the DVD's I have all the time in the world to watch them. So I would buy and buy and never watch and watch, not a single one. Living in my old apartment I probably only watched 2, maybe 3 in that 2 year span. And, I had no excuse, I had the time, but the only DVD's I could watch were ones that I rented which was often, but because there was a time limit, they were the only ones I could watch. The last one I watched was literally in October when I made myself put in the extended cut of "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) from the Ultimate Edition.

Anyway, tonight I finally said WTF! am I waiting for...all I am doing is missing out on watching for the first time or re-watching great DVD's. So I just did it like ripping off a band-aid and put in the anticipated "Saw". I was getting tired of reading about it and just missing potential spoilers so I popped it in and it was a very decent movie and thus the stigma of not watching was over.

I know have "Raging Bull" SE in the player and plan on watching later tonight. It is like a great weight lifting and I can't wait to watch all the rest!!

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 02-21-05, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need a hug? =)
Old 02-21-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the opposite of your problem.

I spend all my time watching the new arrivals but only manage to completely clear my "to watch" pile about once or twice a year, which means that I rarely manage to rewatch anything.

I really must sort that out.
Old 02-21-05, 08:02 PM
Suspended

..... i have like 70 dvds i havent watched and i cant force my self to watch them.... i dont even know why i bought them.... i have had band of brothers taken(mini series) buffy seasons angel seasons CSI dawn of the dead UI so much stuff i havent watched and when i try to watch them i turn it off cuz ill get my netflix that day..... or i just dont feel like watching it.... drives me crazyz lol
Old 02-21-05, 08:18 PM
Defunct Account

Why do you guys rent if you have so many DVDs? I have only rented one DVD in my life, and that was to compare the original release with a SE that I was reviewing. Heck I have a lot of movie in my "to watch pile" and but I do go through them.
Old 02-21-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never rented.

If I want to see something, I'll buy it, then sell it on if I don't want to keep it. Usually don't lose much money, sometimes make some.
Old 02-21-05, 09:47 PM

i have like four in my watch pile...i need more things to fill out the day...
Old 02-21-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I began to get tired of having so many unwatched DVDs, so last spring, I registered a second account at DVDAF and created two folders: watched and not watched. At first count, I had around 70 titles that I had not watched.

Although I began watching more, I went through dry spells where there'd be a lot of stuff coming out that I'd get and yet, would watch very little of it. I mainly attribute to it being the summer and not actually having a ton of time to watch anything because of other activities getting in the way.

After Christmas, I had over 80 unwatched titles. I decided to compose a backlog schedule. Each week consisted of five titles, although the two weeks I had off for winter break had 30 combined. Although I got behind on it, it did help a lot. It shouldn't be a chore to watch stuff you willingly bought, but I had a real sense of accomplishment as that folder at DVDAF got smaller.

Had I stuck to my schedule, I would've been caught up at the end of last week, but more added titles over the weeks sorta threw me off. I've currently got 15 left in my unwatched folder, most of which will require quite a bit of time (i.e. The Last Temptation of Christ, Ikiru, and Once Upon a Time in the West), but I'm pretty optimistic that I'll be down to a few unwatched titles by next week.
Old 02-21-05, 10:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by scott1598
So after months and then probably a year, I finally got over not watching all the DVD's in my que hump!

Let me explain...since I have started collecting seriously only 2 or so years ago, I was under the illusion that since I have the DVD's I have all the time in the world to watch them. So I would buy and buy and never watch and watch, not a single one. Living in my old apartment I probably only watched 2, maybe 3 in that 2 year span. And, I had no excuse, I had the time, but the only DVD's I could watch were ones that I rented which was often, but because there was a time limit, they were the only ones I could watch. The last one I watched was literally in October when I made myself put in the extended cut of "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) from the Ultimate Edition.

Anyway, tonight I finally said WTF! am I waiting for...all I am doing is missing out on watching for the first time or re-watching great DVD's. So I just did it like ripping off a band-aid and put in the anticipated "Saw". I was getting tired of reading about it and just missing potential spoilers so I popped it in and it was a very decent movie and thus the stigma of not watching was over.

I know have "Raging Bull" SE in the player and plan on watching later tonight. It is like a great weight lifting and I can't wait to watch all the rest!!

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm not trying to attack by any means, but why do you have the link labeled to your collection "My small, but I like it collection"? If you haven't seen most of them, how do you know you like them?

I used to work in a video rental store and never really got a chance to watch what I bought. I still got the opportunity to watch hundreds of great movies though Now that I don't work there anymore I've been able to watch a lot more in my collection. When I decided to convert from vhs to dvds I got all of the dvds of the vhs I had that were worthwile.....everyone except Raging Bull. Now that I finally have it, I feel like my collection is complete after waiting 4 years for its release. So with the growth of my collection at a halt, I think I will really get a chance to watch all of those I haven't
Old 02-21-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I often wonder if it's all the extras that slow people down and contribute to the backlog?

I don't watch most extras, just tend to skip through them very quickly after I've watched the film. For a few films, I do sit down and watch all of them though, e.g. I watched everything on the Matrix Trilogy boxset because I love the films so much.
Old 02-21-05, 10:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Apparently, you still have a "U" and an "E" on that "unused" pile.
Old 02-21-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to be bad about this. Not quite as bad as you it seems, but I'd buy 2-3 DVDs a week and then watch 1-2 of them. Still, my backlog built up quite a bit over time, and I also ended up with a bunch of movies that I'd watched once and would probably never want to watch again. Finally I decided that was getting a little ridiculous so I sold off some of my backlog that I decided I'd never watch (or never watch again), cut my DVD buying down to about 1 DVD per week, and started watching the movies that I bought. I've still got a few DVDs that I've never watched and occasionally I'll still buy a movie and not watch it, but I'm not as bad now as I was.
Old 02-21-05, 10:39 PM

Since the beginning of the year I've cut my backlog in half from about 40 to 21 now, I'm hoping to be all caught up at the end of spring semester (end of April). I haven't rented anything since I cancelled my Netflix at beginning of November, that hasn't stopped me from buying more though.
Old 02-21-05, 10:49 PM
Banned

I don't seem to have this problem. I seem to have a slightly different problem.

Well, first of all, let me just say that I don't rent. I just simply don't. For one, there's simply not that many films that I would like or want to see, so I don't feel the need to go throw away say $5 on a movie that I could own for just $10-15 more. This is also why I don't bother going to the theater any more. I may, just may, go see Ep. III in May, but that's even doubtful.

The point of the above paragraph is that my DVD buying is not weighed towards the movie side. It's weighed more heavily towards the TV shows. Hence my slightly different problem that I alluded to earlier. In my movie "not watched list" there is maybe a couple. In fact there is only two that I can think of, and I'm working through one of them right now. Both are "Lonesome Dove" sequals and at nearly 6 hours each, you can see why it'd be difficult getting through them.

However, my problem lies, like I said, with my TV show sets. Currently, I have 5 sets unwatched: VOY - S7, Highlander - S6, Xena - S5, Hercules - S5, and Dark Angel - S2. I hope that someday I will get caught up and then consider buying a few other series like: SACD's Lost World, Alias, and La Femme Nikita.

But back to the actual movies, I tend to watch them as soon as I get them. Mainly to check for bad discs.
Old 02-21-05, 10:53 PM

Want to hear about backlog? I have right around 500 dvds and I have only watched about 30% of them. I have seen all of the movies before, in theaters, years ago, etc. But as for the dvd itself, I just never seem to find the time to watch what I cannot help but buy. My new years resolution was to watch some of the movies plus features, but I keep buying more and not watching. Must gain restraint.
Old 02-21-05, 11:01 PM

yeh, ive stopped going to the movies long ago. pwn3ing is just better (unless molvie sux - then make great holiday gifts). My problem is that i never get around to special features. I'm always tired after watching the flick. Alot of the time ill be a movie iva never seen before just because the disc(s) are packed, but i never get around to actually enjoying them. Like Hellboy and RE:Apocalypse....damn....
Old 02-21-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
You guys make watching DVDs sound like doing your taxes or trying to lose weight.
Old 02-21-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I counted a few days ago, and of my 670 titles (give or take), I've got about 160 movies that I've either never seen (theater, rental, ever), or that I saw so long ago that I've forgotten about the content (things like the Ghostbusters sequel, I remember watching it as a child, but I couldn't give you a detailed plot description, much less commentary on the acting, direction, dialogue, and etc).

After making that count a few days ago, I told myself that I was going to buckle down and work my way through my backlog before spending any more cash on new titles. But then I had to see that Target misprint of West Side Story (a film on my Best Picture wishlist)...and my plan went all to hell. However, with that exception aside, I'm back to "no more purchases until you've watched what you have."

Psh. Yeah right, that'll happen. :-/

-JP
Old 02-21-05, 11:43 PM

I am loving this time right now!! I have only bought ONE dvd this month (Ice Pirates)!!

Currently I am watching the Farscape Vol 2 starburst edition. Once that is done I WILL BE CAUGHT UP COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWWWHAHHHAAHAHAHAHH!!

Sorry, just had to rant for a second!!!

Judging from the release schedule it is going to be a while before anything else I want comes out!

I may actually find time to play some video games!!

Take care all!!
Old 02-22-05, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The only time I typically have an unwatched pile is when I buy quite a lot of titles around the same time..especially if TV Shows are in the mix.

Recently, I've had to get through MacGyver, Wonderfalls, Dukes Of Hazzard, and The Greatest American Hero. Added to that, I also bought the Scorsese Box Set, and several other single films. I've gotten through most of it, but my unwatched pile is still there, if only much smaller:

Raging Bull: Special Edition
Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut
American Splendor
The Greatest American Hero: Season One

Of course, Tuesday brings a few more titles to that list...
Old 02-22-05, 06:13 AM
Banned

I try to watch within a few days of a purchase.

That's why you buy DVD's ya know, to watch em.
Old 02-22-05, 07:04 AM

I have alot of time.. and I used to spend alot of time deciding which dvd I wanted to watch and I usually ended up watching the same movies over and over.. but yeah one evening I just threw in a random un watched disc and REALLY enjoyed it. I've been watching all new titles since.
Old 02-22-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the only unwatched dvds I usually have are TV shows. Way too much content to get through quickly. Movies however I have no problem blazing through (though to be fair I don't really buy that many movies and instead choose to rent).
Old 02-22-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have far too many that I've never even watched, some of which I've had for 4-5 years. But I really have no inclination to watch soon. And what's worse, I'll probably never seen any of the movies in my queue as I have this damned mood swing problem. I'll turn on a movie that I think I'll want to watch and then turn it off after a few minutes and pop in a different one I want to watch more. Then I realize that I don't want to watch that one more and turn back to the first one. Often I end up not watching anything.
Old 02-22-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will never catch up. Of 850, I think I have watched about 45% of them. I don't mind, though. I think of it more as a film library, it's not something I feel too much pressure to ever try to get caught up on.

The one thing that I HAVE gotten better on is watching the special features in a timely fashion. I used to watch a DVD, and avoid watching the special features because I wanted to watch another DVD. Now, I buckle down and watch the special features close to the time I watched the DVD. With releases like Hellboy 3-disc and Alien Quadrilogy, it's rough sometimes!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.