Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Debate is Dead...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Debate is Dead...

Old 02-21-05, 04:56 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD Debate is Dead...

...just in case anyone wasn't aware, DVDDebate.com appears to have folded...kind of a shame; they had some great screen shot comparisons comparing different DVD releases, including across Region lines. They were the premier site to offer tangible evidence that the recent THE FIFTH ELEMENT: ULTIMATE EDITION did, in fact, have a substantially improved transfer over the original Superbit release of the film. I'm sad to see them go...
Old 02-21-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of the site.

Just checked it out. Maybe just a site problem?

Last edited by ernestrp; 02-21-05 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Well, that sucks. At least we still have Beaver.
Old 02-21-05, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, as I've said my whole life, thank God for Beaver.
Old 02-21-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know it's folded?

I just assumed the server was down.

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
They were the premier site to offer tangible evidence that the recent THE FIFTH ELEMENT: ULTIMATE EDITION did, in fact, have a substantially improved transfer over the original Superbit release of the film. I'm sad to see them go...
When I looked at their screenshots, the Superbit looked better than the Ultimate Edition to me.
Old 02-21-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a shame, always was a site for me to check for region comparisons and new announcements and such. They are dead...was on the other day and the site had announced they were shutting it down.
Old 02-21-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's bad news
Old 02-22-05, 08:12 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Squirrel God
When I looked at their screenshots, the Superbit looked better than the Ultimate Edition to me.
Well obviously I can't hold up the proof for any third parties to judge anymore but, with all due respect, if you really thought that, you'd stand to have your vision checked. The original Superbit had substantially more "jaggies", as evidenced by the "tunnel shot" with Leeloo they featured, and notably less color saturation.
Old 02-22-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Well obviously I can't hold up the proof for any third parties to judge anymore but, with all due respect, if you really thought that, you'd stand to have your vision checked. The original Superbit had substantially more "jaggies", as evidenced by the "tunnel shot" with Leeloo they featured, and notably less color saturation.
It wouldn't matter if you had the screenshots anyway. They were really small JPEGs, so it's hard to deduce anything conclusive from them, particularly with things like "jaggies". The colour saturation would've been skewed by web colours anway.

When I looked at them, based on what they were, the Superbit looked to have slightly more detail. If the jaggies have been reduced, as you say, then this may be because they used additional anti-aliasing on the Ultimate Ed. which could've masked some of the detail.

It's a shame DVD Beaver haven't compared these two yet with decent screenshots.
Old 02-22-05, 11:20 AM
Banned

Each picture was as large as the box representing your last post...hardly "really small". I disagree on the detail comment, as well, but again, we have no online proof anymore with which to fuel our respective points of view.