Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Robot Chicken

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Robot Chicken

Anyone else watching this on Adult Swim? It's Fing hilarious! They do skits with stop motion using action figures. They better keep this show. It's miles better than than pile of shit called Tom goes to the Mayor.
Old 02-20-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just going to start this thread. That was great! Lots of classic action figures and toys. They must have spent a lot on ebay. Some you could tell were custom made though, like some of the Silons.
Old 02-20-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cough*cylons*cough
Old 02-20-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

gotta catch the replay tonite...missed it first on....

looks great...the original editor of toyfare is in on this....if you read twisted toyfare, then you know how funny this can be
Old 02-20-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
cough*cylons*cough
Spellcheck didn't seem to mind.
Old 02-20-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was the funniest premiere Adult Swim has ever had. Like Cameron said, it was co-created by former ToyFare editor Matthew Seinrich and two of the writers were responsible for some of TTT's best bits. But where was the "Jesus vs. The Crazy 88 Rabbis" Kill Bill parody that was supposed to be part of the first episode? They'd better not have wussed out on showing that one.
Old 02-20-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These guys were on "The Screen Savers" recently; show looks good. They said they have even more stuff that had to be cut out, which will probably be released on Dvd.
Old 02-21-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Replay'd it, haven't watched yet. Hope it's good.
Old 02-21-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tom Goes to the Mayor rocks. It helps to see the episodes a couple of times.

This did not rock.

I must be the only person on this forum that likes the former and dislikes the latter.
Old 02-21-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Tom Goes to the Mayor

just caught the Robot Chicken Replay...

Not enough meat to it...a bunch of short clips thread together with a wacky video host...sucks they didn't do the Jesus/Kill Bill parody didn't play...wonder who stopped was more pissed...the churches or the people at band apart...

Seems this show would be a nightmare to show on tv and release on dvd...so many properties to liscence....the transformers bit was funny...

hope this turns into a full half hour show
Old 02-21-05, 02:30 AM

I liked it. I'll check it out again next week.
Old 02-21-05, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be another one to say that Tom Goes To The Mayor is a steaming pile of shit.

However, I was in tears during the entire 11 minutes of Robot Chicken. The "Bloopers" segment of the show had me rolling. The Dukes of Hazard? Transformers? Cylons? A hockey player checking a little kid who is at a urinal? GENIUS.
Old 02-21-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love Tom Goes to the Mayor, but I also really enjoyed Robot Chicken. Their styles are completely different from one another - Tom's slower-paced, awkard humor vs. Chicken's rapid-fire, slapstick humor - but I like both of 'em.
Old 02-21-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I heard about this when Seth Green was on Conan last week. I thought it was great. Apparently there are a ton of voice guests that are contributing to the show. Kind of funny when Seth McFarlane is doing voices for Green's show now.
Old 02-21-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-21-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw alot of my childhood toys acting a fool!
Old 02-21-05, 06:00 PM

I liked it.
Old 02-21-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This article describes my feelings on the show perfectly:

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=1786

Robot Chicken: Please Stop Greenlighting, Adult Swim

By Matt Wilson

02-18-2005, 1:05 PM

Robot Chicken is Adult Swim's latest disaster piece of a Newgrounds fallout to air on its pitiful Sunday night lineup. And it's amazing that there is still no justification for stop motion animation on TV, going as far back as Gumby or Land of the Lost. I'm not dissing the medium, but even after decades no one has put it to good use. When your best offering is THE PJs, maybe it's time to move on to something else. Try spin-art.

Seth Green, who apparently has a lot of time on his hands with no career outside of Austin Powers and the latest generic college slacker flick, dances his action figure collection around for the whole world to see, instead of his parents, like I imagine he did when he was five years old and more appropriately aged to be doing this. Not that the action figure of choice really seems to matter. They have no context in the script. Rather than actually write clever parodies of the toys' source material, Green uses Optimus Prime and Teletubbies to enact bad MAD TV material. I mean if you laugh at Tinky Winky smoking a joint, something that would have possibly been funny in 1999, then feel free to jump in front of a bus.

What makes this show so insulting is that the stop-motion elements are good. The timing is great. However, we're not looking at clay figures, we're looking at action figures, essentially puppets. It's not really animation that I could marvel at. Worse, the production value of every aspect of this show screams "I AM NOT READY FOR TELEVISION." Robot Chicken originated in a webtoon on Sony's now-defunct Flash Portal. It'd be a lie to tell you it has improved since then. It carries with it to television all of the things you hate about bad web cartoons: hushed, awkward voice acting, story concepts brainstormed by 12-year-olds, no sense of quality control, and direction that does not know when to give up on a bad joke, stretching each one into infinity.

Nothing illustrates this point better than the six-minute "Bloopers" skit in Sunday's episode. It starts off being not funny, and it successfully rapes your soul by the end. Every single joke is telegraphed, from the "animal goes wild" joke to the ceaselessly stupid "host hangs himself" closer. Has there ever been a stretch of dead air this long? From an adult cartoon that pitches itself as "frenetically fast," this is inexcusable.

Robot Chicken embodies everything Adult Swim thinks audiences want. You can find pieces of Sealab 2021, Stroker and Hoop, the "Dreams" episode of Space Ghost, and Adult Swim's own needlessly smug textual bumpers in this show. And that's depressing. This show is climatically retarded; it builds and builds until you can't even be amused at its awfulness.

If you're not staring at your TV dumbly by the end of the program, then congratulations, you're easily amused! You probably think Will Ferrell is a comic genius! For the rest of us, you know, INTELLIGENT people, come join me. I will build us a boat and we can sail away from this alienating TV universe. It will be a magical journey, and anyone who says "Bizarroooooo!!" or "Move every zig" will be pushed overboard.
Old 02-21-05, 06:29 PM

wow is it just me or does the writer of that article sound like a total douche?

it has to be the most hate-filled review of a cartoon ever written.
Old 02-21-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by _tony_
wow is it just me or does the writer of that article sound like a total douche?

it has to be the most hate-filled review of a cartoon ever written.
While I'd agree that the writer seems to be going out of his way to be negative... I can't say I disagree with much written there. That was pretty much my thought last night as well. I laughed once or twice (which I suppose isn't bad for a 15-minute program), but I found the whole thing -- from concept through execution -- to be pretty lame and sophomoric. And not in a good way, like some other AS fare (Aqua Teen, Sealab, Harvey Birdman, etc.)
Old 02-21-05, 07:52 PM

I missed it totally. I'll have to look for the reruns.
Old 02-21-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what was the name of the 1st ep.? I just scheduled an SP for this in order to check it out and I'm hoping I didn't miss the 1st one.
Old 02-21-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather have Robot Chicken than re-runs of the same shows every night. Yes, Adult Swim is awsome. As is ATHF, Sealab, Family Guy, Futurama etc but I don't want to see the same ATHF episode 3 times a week. Robot Chicken had what a lot of people love. Old action figures doing stupid stuff. So it's stop motion? So what? What the heck is Tom goes to the Mayor? Copied pictures of the stars and crappy backgrounds with minimal animation and lame storylines? Seriously Tootle Day? A day where the towns dogs get married? What the heck is that? It's something but it's certainly not funny. Optimus Prime and other autobots kicking the crap out of Star Scream? Cylons falling over? A drunk superman hitting a robber with a bottle? Funny. When I was a kid I certainly didn't think dogs getting married or the lame guy from King of Queens owning a electronics store making stupid noises was funny. But I did think playing with my toys and putting them in stupid violent situations was. Ya it might be "sophomoric" but at least it's not moronic.
Old 02-21-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I laughed and I think Will Ferrell is funny so I guess cool guy over there won't be inviting me to any of his parties.
Old 02-22-05, 12:50 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was hilarious

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.