Reload this Page >

So I Got Banned from the DVD Aficionado Forum

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-20-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't a frequent poster (only 70 posts since registering last April), but just got banned there for a post I made in a thread about the drop off in discussion quality. I guess the powers that be there don't like any sort of conflicting views, since I had never spoken out against the way things were there prior to the post.

Upset because a mod had deleted the user name of the member I was referring to (done only because I was responding to him several pages later and wasn't about to quote his entire manifesto), I commented on how the mods seemed to be enforcing petty rules that weren't necessary just because they were unable to solve the true issues, like lack of quality discussion.

Well, both posts I made in that thread were gone when I went to it the following morning and then when I tried to post, I got the good old message about not having permission to respond to the topic. A quick check of an old post of mine revealed that I had indeed been banned.

I love DVDAF and liked to drop by the forum when I got the chance, but the admins are trying to control virtually every element of the board, including how the community thinks, it's not really a surprise why the board gets mediocre traffic.

Just had to vent a bit, since I thought the banning was unfair, but will move on and avoid doing something like registering new accounts. Also, this may not be the place to post this, but since it's DVDAF related, I thought this would best suited here. A mod can feel free to move it.
Old 02-20-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This seems like more of a "Other" topic...
Old 02-20-05, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ho shit me too. i got banned for saying that predator 2 has been touched up by bush (no male nudity) . Even though it was a joke, they wanted to press their own politcal views on me and the other members by suspending me and praising bush for his wonderful carreer. Then, when i got back an accused the mods of being overzealous and out of control, they had me virtually "whacked"

That board sucked anyway. Only like one post a day, and usually about Alien v.s. Predator (which i also got iced for criticizing)
Old 02-20-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

True. Like I said, a mod can move this bad boy if they'd like.
Old 02-20-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
It's happened to someone I knew here as well(been here a long time). Just a random discussion and this person posted a conflicting point of view to an arguement with a mod, and poof! Banned. He won't tell me which one it was though. I just tread lightly when discussions involve a moderater around here.

Speak not against the mods, thou shalt be banned.

And yes, should be an otter thread.
Old 02-20-05, 08:26 PM

Banning seems a bit extreme.
Old 02-20-05, 08:27 PM

here is the predator topic. As you can see, they deleted both of my "extreme" comments and made it look like i retracted them:

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5006

Also, for your viewing pleasure, the AVP thread which started the whole buzz:

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...pic=4994&st=15

Enjoy!!!! EDIT: Yeh, i was in a bad mood that day but that fuckin guy was seriously getting on my nerves.
Old 02-20-05, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by emhello
Banning seems a bit extreme.
My point exactly. BTW, in those AVP posts i clearly said that the movie was horrible, anmd suddenly the guy thought i was challenging him to a cock fight or something. Not to mention he was one of the mod's buddies...
Old 02-20-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hang around there, just like I do at about 7 other forums, and I've noticed that many who get banned simply act like assholes and say stupid shit that offends or just sounds childish. I'm not saying any names....I can't keep track of everyone, but banning certian morons is fine by me. I sure never heard/read Al saying anything harmful.

Yeah...they are a bit tight over there....too many diaper-dandies. But still....if you don't know how to speak to people with respect and with a decent level of maturity....then I would'nt want you around either.
Old 02-20-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My point exactly. BTW, in those AVP posts i clearly said that the movie was horrible, anmd suddenly the guy thought i was challenging him to a cock fight or something. Not to mention he was one of the mod's buddies...
Unless their where some posts in that thread (What's Wrong With My Avp Dvd?) you linked to that have been since been deleted, It looks to me like you where thread-crapping.
Old 02-20-05, 10:05 PM

I was a member there for almost a year and a regular poster. I was banned for pointing out that a large group of posts had been deleted. I'll admit that some where off topic but for the most part they were on topic. When I asked why they were deleted I was banned. I enjoyed the DVDAF from quite a bit but lately it has become way to restrictive. The people there were great but I am looking for a forum for people to express their opinions.
Old 02-20-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Atreus
I was a member there for almost a year and a regular poster. I was banned for pointing out that a large group of posts had been deleted. I'll admit that some where off topic but for the most part they were on topic. When I asked why they were deleted I was banned. I enjoyed the DVDAF from quite a bit but lately it has become way to restrictive. The people there were great but I am looking for a forum for people to express their opinions.

Atreus....banned? Now I do find that shocking. I remember enjoying your posts, so this, I just don't understand. I still stand by what I said earlier....but I admit things are getting a little weird. I still prefer dvdaf for all my "tracking the library" needs. I have little time to post anywhere any more....which is a shame.

Just can't beat dvdtalk.

Of course....Mobius is a great forum also.
Old 02-20-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I love DVDAF and liked to drop by the forum when I got the chance, but the admins are trying to control virtually every element of the board, including how the community thinks, it's not really a surprise why the board gets mediocre traffic.
The admins control the place and because so, you are a slave to their rules if you feel that you want to post on THEIR message board.

Following their rules is what you signed up at the beginning. So guess you are just screwed.

For example, the rules around here is general topics not involving DVD's themselves should go in other as others have posted.
Old 02-20-05, 10:16 PM

meh. the site was crapp anyway. i did enjoy my last few days, however...
Old 02-20-05, 11:12 PM

From what I've heard, DVD Af is a messageboard version of 1984. Obey Big Broth- er, the mods.
Old 02-20-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The admins control the place and because so, you are a slave to their rules if you feel that you want to post on THEIR message board.

Following their rules is what you signed up at the beginning. So guess you are just screwed.
I've got no problems following rules. This was the first board I had been banned from in four years and trust me, there were other times and places where I probably deserved to be banned.

And they didn't have a concrete set of rules posted when I initially joined. Had the board been run so strictly from the outset, I wouldn't have bothered joining (I lurked a while before registering). It's their board and they can run it as they see fit. But things aren't going to improve if they continue to ban people over ridiculous reasons. Continuing to do so is just going to deplete their already small community.

But it's all good. Like I stated earlier, I love the site, didn't mind the board, but I can certainly do without it.
Old 02-21-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
here is the predator topic. As you can see, they deleted both of my "extreme" comments and made it look like i retracted them:

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5006

Also, for your viewing pleasure, the AVP thread which started the whole buzz:

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...pic=4994&st=15

Enjoy!!!! EDIT: Yeh, i was in a bad mood that day but that fuckin guy was seriously getting on my nerves.
Dude, I don't visit that forum ever, but if these examples you posted are any indication of your average posts over there, I can understand why they would get fed up and eventually ban you. Like others have said, sometimes people seem to forget online to be civil. Doesn't really matter if you were in a "bad mood" that day. Would you act like that speaking face to face to somebody in real life?
Old 02-21-05, 07:02 AM

i remember mobius was pretty anal with their members too...they banned me before for using my chinese name which they somehow assumed was a nickname...
Old 02-21-05, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by badger1997
Dude, I don't visit that forum ever, but if these examples you posted are any indication of your average posts over there, I can understand why they would get fed up and eventually ban you. Like others have said, sometimes people seem to forget online to be civil. Doesn't really matter if you were in a "bad mood" that day. Would you act like that speaking face to face to somebody in real life?
Ditto.
Old 02-21-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by badger1997
Old 02-21-05, 07:40 AM
Banned

What do ya know, I got banned as well a couple of days ago in the Discussion thread over there. Ed is a fuckin douchebag.

Here is what he said. This is simply insane.

Our objective is not to provide a forum for people to express their opinions.
I mean...shaaa...wtf...

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 02-21-05 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-21-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There is another DVD forum?
Old 02-21-05, 08:36 AM

Said it once, said it a thousand times..

they own the site, they can do whatever they want.

Donate to them and i'm sure they wouldn't have banned you...
Old 02-21-05, 08:37 AM
Banned

Sure, they own it, but you can't just create a message board and tell the people that they can't express opinions.
Old 02-21-05, 08:38 AM

Sure they can!

the same way DVDTalk tells people not to post in a certain forum, not to swear, not to do other stuff...

If you don't like it, don't post!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.