Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do most people in your area know what a "Criterion" is?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a fact people where i live, in southern cal.and people couldn't tell the difference and just buy it like it's a normal dvd, the closes somebody beside myself knowing what a criterion was a rare dvd seller, and i asked about criterion's in general and he responded "yeah i sell a few of those"

so the question is do people in your area generally know what a criterion is?
Old 02-20-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The masses don't know or care what a Criterion is. It's the same all over. I think it should be known that Criterion puts more effort into each release than any other distributor, but that's it. I can't stand people who have to own all the Criterions simply because they're Criterions.
Old 02-20-05, 07:14 PM

Nah, no one knows. Unless you do your research and check into older films on dvd, like all of us, there's little chance of you knowing.
Old 02-20-05, 07:20 PM

There's little chance of the general public having any idea about most of what is discussed on this forum.
Old 02-20-05, 07:24 PM

No one I know know's or cares what Criterion is. Why would they though if they don't obsessively collect dvds?
Old 02-20-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
So, what exactly is a Criterion DVD? I've heard it referenced to on these boards a number of times but have no idea myself. Please enlighten.
Old 02-20-05, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
I thought more of Criterion during the Laserdisc phase. They put out good discs usually, sure, but they are not that special anymore.
Old 02-20-05, 07:45 PM

I have about 3 friends who know what Criterion is, I have a few hundred who go "widescreen? huh?"
Old 02-20-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the people I know around here doesn't even know what DTS means!

Many people don't care about anything except the movie and a good price, period.
Old 02-20-05, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they don't release movies i personally like, so i am not to quick to spread the criterion-love around.
Old 02-20-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
So, what exactly is a Criterion DVD? I've heard it referenced to on these boards a number of times but have no idea myself. Please enlighten.
www.criterionco.com
Old 02-20-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got one friend who knows, but that's only because I told him.
Old 02-20-05, 08:33 PM

i wish more releases came out on Criterion, but they seem to have a strictly "classics only" policy. Sure, those movies are good but if more new releases came out on Criterion DVDs then they would be the most successful company imo.
Old 02-20-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
i wish more releases came out on Criterion, but they seem to have a strictly "classics only" policy. Sure, those movies are good but if more new releases came out on Criterion DVDs then they would be the most successful company imo.
I'm pretty sure it's less of a "Classics only policy" that keeps them from releasing more newer releases, but more a matter of rights. They do put out some new movies, like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," but that's not really a mainstream title in the first place (though I've heard it's their biggest seller.) Movies like "Armageddon" are the rare exception. I bet they'd love to do editions of films like "Lost in Translation," and I remember reading that they'd love to release some of Miyazaki's animated movies, but most companies just aren't willing to give them the rights, even though they would be likely to put out better editions than the current releases. (Yes, I realize some non-Criterion current releases have perfectly good editions, I'm just talking some of the slightly less mainstream titles, that wouldn't be "financially viable" to release multi-disc editions of.)

But I love a lot of the classics they put out ("The Third Man" is one of my most treasured DVDs, and I expect "Kagemusha" will become one too,) so I can't complain. They still do some amazing special editions, their quality is getting even better, though other companies (Warner) are putting out some excellent presentations too.
Old 02-20-05, 08:52 PM

a Ghost in the Shell Criterion would be beyond awesome
Old 02-20-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes...yes they do...know

What I like about Criterion is when people started putting out great 2 disc editions they took it up a notch with better packages and more content...battle of algiers, slacker, and so on
Old 02-20-05, 09:04 PM

I would love to see a FLETCH Criterion. That would kick some serious ass.
Old 02-20-05, 09:06 PM

none do, although I wouldn't either if I didn't stumble onto this forum..
Old 02-20-05, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
I thought more of Criterion during the Laserdisc phase. They put out good discs usually, sure, but they are not that special anymore.
My thoughts exactly. They stood out by creating the best special editions on laserdisc, but now the major studios do the same work when they want to. However Criterion gives "classic" films a quality presentation.
Old 02-20-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Usually around here, people think I'm talking about some star thats like 2.7 billion miles away from our planet. Or they think it's a new astrology sign.

If they know quality films...chances are good they know all about Criterion, or at least have a clue as to what that means.
Old 02-21-05, 05:40 PM
Banned

Examples, please

I know this has been beaten to death on this board before, but how and why doesn't Criterions feel special anymore? Because the don't have more mainsteam movies? Because they release movies you never heard from them before? Because they don't release their Laserdisc catalog?
Old 02-21-05, 05:43 PM
mwj

My friends are more into movies as entertainment than art, so they are unaware of Criterion as far as I know.
Old 02-21-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
I agree 100%. They used to be a big deal on laserdisc, because there were very few laserdiscs with bonus materials (FOX did a few), but to me they don't represent the "top of the line" for DVD...they are merely good releases, nothing more, nothing less - with the only difference being if you like the movie and see that Criterion is doing it, you can rest assured you're going to get a pretty good A/V transfer - and it's hit and miss with the majority of the other studios that release DVDs (you pretty much have to wait for the reviews).
Old 02-21-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Al Pachi...er, Padrino
I can't stand people who have to own all the Criterions simply because they're Criterions.
Guilty.

I don't have the cash to own all, or even half of the titles in their collection, but I pick up Criterion titles whenever possible...especially if I run across one at a pawn shop, or used at a local chain. I use it as a way to introduce myself to new directors and films that I otherwise might not see. I've fallen in love with movies (some of Ingmar Bergman's lesser known stuff, Resnais' Night and Fog, and a couple more well-known films) that I likely wouldn't have seen were they not blind-buy Criterion releases.

Of course, there's the occassional film that I don't like, but to me...it's about owning a piece of revered film history. It's revered for a reason. Perhaps in a few years, or with a few more viewings, I'll grow to see in it what others do. Mainly, though, it's about giving attention to classic foreign (or acclaimed, obscure contemporary) titles that I normally wouldn't be exposed to.

-JP
Old 02-21-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BenitoJuarez
for a fact people where i live, in southern cal.and people couldn't tell the difference and just buy it like it's a normal dvd
Errr... I'm a big fan of Criterion, but how exactly should people "buy" these?

They *are* 'normal' DVDs. There's nothing different about them. They are just as 'normal' as DVDs from Image, Anchor Bay, Warner, or any other producer.

99% of people wouldn't be able to name what studio released a film, let alone what company produced the DVD. And why would they need to? I'm honestly confused about your position.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.