Boston Legal -- "Tortured Souls" -- 02.20.2005

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tortured Souls

Spoiler:
Denny Crane's son, Donny (Freddie Prinze, Jr.), is the opposing counsel in Denny's trial -- an obvious attempt to settle a score with Denny for letting him believe for 25 years that he was his father. Denny tries the case with Chelina Hall (Kerry Washington), an associate at the firm. Meanwhile, Shirley Schmidt recruits an extremely reluctant Alan Shore to defend a police officer accused of torture. And Shore's former client, Bernard Ferrion, is befriended by his secretary, Catherine Piper (Betty White), much to Shore's dismay.
Old 02-20-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Do you want to see ME naked?" Only Denny Crane could get away with that line.

Glad to see Denny put a whuppin' on Donnie.

Again, DEK rails against the current climate with the "torture *might* be okay in certain 'the ends justify the means' situations" storyline.
Old 02-20-05, 11:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked Denny blaming the loss of the salmon case on Brad and then him calling Donny a girly man in the courtroom

So I take it the next time we see Bernie will be when he's trying to kill Alan.
Old 02-20-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Better yet, Catherine!
Old 02-21-05, 12:50 AM
Banned

Seems rather hypocritical that a law firm that has no problems whatsoever with getting murderers and rapists a "not guilty" verdict would have issues with police brutality... unless, of course, DEK is being overtly overpolitical again.
Old 02-21-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Another great episode. I felt last week's had more laughs, but this week's edged it a bit in greatness thanks to .
Old 02-21-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Betty White would good. As a serial killer you unconsciously want to be a Christian. I generally ahven't liked her, but she was good. Always good to see a good story line with Denny, and nice to have him put the "definition of a father" in the last part. Very good.
Old 02-21-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Can I say that this show has gotten SO much better since the addition of Candice Bergen (an actress I don't really care for, as a rule). She's given the show a real jolt of energy and effectively plays off Spader and Shatner in a way no other cast member is capable of.
Tara wasn't really given anything to do this week. Hopefully they'll give her more next week. Last week's episode needs a coda to see where she and Alan are going.

Regarding the clip for next week :
Spoiler:
Chi McBride reprises his role from Boston Public. I imagine there's never been anyone who did as much show cross-over as David Kelly. Off the top of my head, Chicago Hope crossed to Picket Fences. Ally McBeal crossed to The Practice (and vice-versa). Boston Public crossed to The Practice (and vice-versa). Now even though defunct, BP is going to cross to BL. Wow. Of course there's also the crossing of The Practice into BL, but I don't think that really counts. Also, there was one I thought I had, but afer checking IMDB, didn't really : I had thought that a character from Murder One had found his way to The Practice, but it turns out actor J.C. MacKenzie played Arnold Spivak on Murder One (not a Kelly show, BTW) and played Dr. Fred Spivak on The Practice. Weird coincidence, perhaps?

And when is Alan going to appear before Judge Eugene Young?
Old 02-21-05, 02:02 AM
Banned

^ Don't forget Gideon's Crossing.
Old 02-21-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Donny Crane's accent was there one minute and gone the next!!!

Not even a second of Brad Chase in this ep.

Rogue - she is smoking hot.
Old 02-21-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Betty White was terrific - great minor character just like she was in MTM.

Not one of the better episodes, but Denny was in good form tonight: "I only say 'I love you' during foreplay."
Old 02-21-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Legolas

Seems rather hypocritical that a law firm that has no problems whatsoever with getting murderers and rapists a "not guilty" verdict would have issues with police brutality... unless, of course, DEK is being overtly overpolitical again.
Ya think? It's like he's consciously trying to tank an otherwise great show.

Average episode with some fun lines. I liked the return of Donny Crane, but the storyline wasn't as good this time around. I agree that Bergen really helps fill a void that this show was needing.

das
Old 02-21-05, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Actually, that was "the other" show. This one doesn't do many criminal cases. But you're right about DEK's political agenda coming through. It's certainly getting old.

The one interesting thing about DEK pushing his politics this time is that on The Practice, he always had his liberal lawyers pushing his message with heartfelt speeches from Bobby, Eugene or Elenor. This time, his main characters are arguing the opposite side of the cases and often possess the opposing viewpoint. I guess that makes it harder for him to be clear what his message to viewers is, so he gives them moral conflicts to resolve in the office.
Old 02-21-05, 07:21 PM

Oh, one other thing: Did anyone catch the prommo just before BL aired? The announcer said "Stay tuned for Boston Legal, America's favorite new law show, coming up next!" WTF? That might be true, but talk about damning with faint praise. He might as well have said "Stay tuned for Boston Legal, the show that gets better ratings than Kevin Hill on UPN!"
Old 02-22-05, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have we had a completely non-political episode yet? I agree with the above comment: Shore has no problems getting a murderer off the hook, but complains about a cop who uses torture to save a kidnapped kid.
Old 02-22-05, 02:21 PM

Shore has no problems getting a murderer off the hook
What murderer?
Old 02-22-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bernard.
Old 02-22-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Patman
Bernard.
While I dislike the little guy, he was absolutely AMAZING on one episode of Dharma and Greg I stumbled across.
Old 02-22-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...d-182/epid-847

Here's the episode if you ever catch it.
Old 02-22-05, 02:51 PM

Shore has no problems getting a murderer off the hook,
If bernard is the person chew is refering to then he must have missed Alan's rant to said bernard in this episode.
Old 02-22-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Alan's been ranting to Bernard at every chance he gets whenever Bernard shows up.
Old 02-23-05, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxpower
If bernard is the person chew is refering to then he must have missed Alan's rant to said bernard in this episode.
I was mainly referring to the first episode Bernard was on. His legal ethics didn't cause him to refuse to argue for the defendent on that case. Only this torture one.
Old 02-23-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

True, but initially his mother wasn't dead [though he thought she was].

Perhaps Shore has unresolved dominating mommy issues? Or perhaps you guys should stop playing "Find DEK's Weekly Political Agenda" and enjoy Spader and Shatner's acting..
Old 02-23-05, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
True, but initially his mother wasn't dead [though he thought she was].

Perhaps Shore has unresolved dominating mommy issues? Or perhaps you guys should stop playing "Find DEK's Weekly Political Agenda" and enjoy Spader and Shatner's acting..
Old 02-23-05, 01:32 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
And when is Alan going to appear before Judge Eugene Young?
This was in todays Ask Ausiello column at tvguide.com

Question: Any chance Eugene (Steve Harris) will show up on Boston Legal as a judge? He was my favorite character on The Practice. — Tom Dennis

Ausiello: I heard that David E. Kelley was interested in using him, but he wanted his same per-episode salary from The Practice and Legal just couldn't afford it (read: Murphy Brown ain't cheap!).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.