Reload this Page >

An Anamorphic Psycho?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

An Anamorphic Psycho?

Old 02-20-05, 08:51 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An Anamorphic Psycho?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I must ask. I recently revisited my copy of Psycho from the Best of Hitchcock (Vol. 1) boxset. Some of the widescreen titles (Rear Window, Man Who Knew Too Much, Family Plot) are 16x9, but Psycho (and Topaz) are non-anamorphic.

Why is Psycho, released as a Collector's Edition, non-anamorphic? Are there any 16x9 copies out there? Why did Universal do this?!?!

Any help!

Plat.
Old 02-20-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Topaz is anamorphic...only Psycho and Vertigo are not. These were released before the box sets. When the boxes arrived they just changed the covers and put the same disc in the sets. I am hoping for SE for both.
Old 02-20-05, 09:46 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Cameron - and for correcting my error. Topaz is indeed anamorphic.
Old 02-20-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish Universal would release a Psycho Franchise set,since the sequels need decent 16.9 releases along with the original.

Does anyone think that will happen this year finally? They have basically released a ton of other series in Franchise sets. so why has Psycho not gotten the treatment? Surely it would sell at least fairly well?
Old 02-20-05, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just wish they would finally release psycho 4
Old 02-21-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

your welcome platipus...

I don't think they will pack the original with the franchise series...i can see all the sequels on one disc, but universal has always held the hitchcock films in high regard...the special editions for these movies were considered pretty packed when they were released...though by 2005 standards are hardly up to par.

and you always have that re make floating around....that horrible, horrible remake...ughhhhhhh

I would like to see the later movies on dvd again....perkins is good
Old 02-21-05, 05:47 AM

My Dutch Psycho and Vertigo dvd's are anamorphic. I actually have Psycho on dvd 3 times. First i bought the R1 dvd, then the R2 for 5 euros with the better cover (the one with Norman standing in front of the house). This dvd is anamorphic, but hasn't got the 90 min. making-of. And last year, Universal released a box with all the movies, which i got for something like 10 euros because of wrong pricing!!! It actually costs something like 70 euros. In this box, The first Psycho is non-anamorhic, but has got the making-of... Confusing?!

George
Old 03-14-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just wtching it tonight and was thinking the same thing. Where is an anamorphic copy?! Maybe Universal can go back and redo this film. Like they did with the Thing. Give it a remastered anamorphic treatment but keep the rest of the extras, or add more... ill take anything as long as I get a better picture. Maybe do a slipcover like The Thing and have part of it see through. Like the shower curtain being pulled back and when you take it out, its Marion in the shower screaming... that would be killer.
Old 03-14-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
To answer the question (as best as I know-someone else can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong):

Psycho originally released on DVD in 1998, and was one of Universal's earliest releases. Back then, they and some other studios would use transfers that were done for laserdiscs instead of doing new transfers for DVD. I think some of their early titles were anamorphic though. As for why some would get a new anamorphic transfer and others would not, I don't know. The releases of movies that were just in theaters would probably get an anamorphic transfer because they had to do a transfer anyway and it might as well be anamorphic. As for the catalog titles, I would assume it would have to depend on how recently a laserdisc special edition was released. Maybe the attitude was that if they had just spent money doing a transfer for the laserdisc they didn't need to do another one right away for the DVD.

You would think that by now we would have gotten a new transfer of an important film like Psycho, but oh well.
Old 03-15-05, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
To answer the question (as best as I know-someone else can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong):

Psycho originally released on DVD in 1998, and was one of Universal's earliest releases. Back then, they and some other studios would use transfers that were done for laserdiscs instead of doing new transfers for DVD. I think some of their early titles were anamorphic though. As for why some would get a new anamorphic transfer and others would not, I don't know. The releases of movies that were just in theaters would probably get an anamorphic transfer because they had to do a transfer anyway and it might as well be anamorphic. As for the catalog titles, I would assume it would have to depend on how recently a laserdisc special edition was released. Maybe the attitude was that if they had just spent money doing a transfer for the laserdisc they didn't need to do another one right away for the DVD.

You would think that by now we would have gotten a new transfer of an important film like Psycho, but oh well.
Actually, at the time of the DVD release, there had JUST been a new Laser release (in the Signature series), so it was a new transfer. Just not anamorphic. And with all the stuff crammed on the DVD from that 3 disc LD box, they left out the isolated musical score track, which I STILL don't have, and considering there has never been a cd release of the original track, would be most welcome. Let's hope Universal, when they get around to a new transfer, gives us that!
Old 03-15-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that would be great...I just hope it gets its own release instead of cramming it into a franchise pack with the lackluster sequals...I want the sequals...just not in that fashion.