Reload this Page >

Johnny Cash 3 new dvds on the way

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-18-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three new music titles on the way. Wish we could get some more of the Cash movies out. Door To Door Maniac to start. With the new Joaquin Phoenix movie on the way, we may see more of this.

Johnny Cash At IMDB

March 8
Johnny Cash! The Man, His World, His Music
source davis dvd

The long out-of-print documentary Johnny Cash! The Man, His World, His Music will be reissued on DVD on March 8th from Sanctuary. The film, which includes interviews and performance footage of The Man in Black, has been remastered in Dolby Digital Stereo for this new release. Among the twenty-two musical performances are duets with the late June Carter Cash, along with appearances with Bob Dylan, Carl Perkins and the Carter Sisters. Bonus features on the DVD will include a photo gallery and an essay by Cash expert Colin Escott.

March 22
Johnny Cash: Live at Montreux 1994
VideoETA source

April 5
Johnny Cash: Ridin' the Rails
source videoETA

Last edited by Cameron; 02-19-05 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully that's good news. I'm disappointed at just how bad this great man's DVD catalogue is.

I'll be buying those (I already have The Man, His World but I'd like a look at a new version) for sure.
Old 02-19-05, 02:29 AM

I also noticed:

Hee Haw Collection: Starring Johnny Cash (means nothing to me in the UK)

Johnny Cash & Roscoe Holcombe: Rainbow Quest (can't find information about that. Anyone?)

We need more Cash!
Old 02-19-05, 02:39 AM

Here we go:

Old 02-19-05, 04:34 AM

Hope they come to PAL aswell
Old 02-19-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

also out now

Old 02-19-05, 08:57 AM

I really enjoy Cash, I think I'll pick up some of these sometime.
Old 02-19-05, 09:07 AM

I'll be picking up The Man, His World, His Music for sure. I've been wanting to pick that up for awhile so now I'll just wait for the re-issue. Also seeing the Hurt video reminded me that Mark Romanek is supposed to have a Director's Label set coming out sometime soon. Hurt will be like the crown jewel of that set.
Old 02-19-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Atreus
Also seeing the Hurt video reminded me that Mark Romanek is supposed to have a Director's Label set coming out sometime soon. Hurt will be like the crown jewel of that set.
I hope palm gets some new disc out. I have almost given up hope on this line.
Old 02-19-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
I'm surprised Cash's Gospel Road movie has never been released on DVD.
Old 02-19-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone got a track listing for Live at Montreux?
Old 02-20-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Anyone got a track listing for Live at Montreux?
1. Folsom Prison Blues
2. Get Rhythm
3. Sunday Morning Coming
Down
4. I Guess Things Happen
That Way
5. I Walk The Line
6. Ring of Fire
7. Ghost Riders In The Sky
8. Delia's Gone Solo
9. Tennessee Stud
10. Bird On A Wire
11. Let The Train Blow The
Whistle
12. The Beast In Me
13. Redemption
14. Big River
15. Jackson
(with June Carter guest)
16. Will The Circle Be Broken
17. Orange Blossom Special
18. San Quentin
19. The Next Time I'm In Town
Old 03-08-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody grab The man his world his music today...
Old 04-11-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Riding the rails

Originally Posted by spartanstew
According to videoeta.com, it's now scheduled for May 17th:

http://videoeta.com/movie/71288

Rhino.com shows the same date, although it's still on their upcoming calendar as April 19th:

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...johnnycash_dvd

Stew
Old 04-11-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I remember liking him in the TV Movie Murder In Coweta County with Andy Griffith back in the 80's. I expected Andy "Sheriff Taylor" Griffith to play the good guy and "The Man In Black" to play the bad guy instead of the other way around. Does anyone own the DVD of this? I might just rent it to see if it's as good as I remembered.

Edit: I see it sells for only $6.99 on Amazon, so I'll definitely get it.

Also Door to Door Maniac is available for 4.99 here but I don't know how good the quality is.

Last edited by Quatermass; 04-11-05 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 01:14 PM

Any of his classic shows from the 70s ever available on video?? He was a bit old in 94. Would love to have some nice footage of him at his peak.
Old 04-11-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emhello
Any of his classic shows from the 70s ever available on video?? He was a bit old in 94. Would love to have some nice footage of him at his peak.
One of his Hee Haw shows is available from the 70's and has a few songs. Also, the man his world his music is a great classic doc, with some good concert footage.

However I will disagree with you about his peak. Cash was just coming back into his own in 94. From that point to his death he really shined. Check out the American series albums.
Old 04-11-05, 02:00 PM

Yes, I have all of his American Music series albums, thanks.
Old 04-27-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from davis dvd

Rhino Home Video will release Johnny Cash: Ridin' the Rails - The Great American Train Story on June 7th. The 1974 TV special, which features reenactments of historical railroading moments told through the story and song of the legendary Cash, has spent the last two decades on director Nicholas Webster's garage shelves. At the urging of Rhino Home Video the film will be made available to the public for the first time since its initial airing. Featuring a remastered fullscreen transfer and a new Dolby Digital 5.1 surround remix, songs include - among others - "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," "The Legend of John Henry's Hammer," "Casey Jones," "Wreck of the Old 97," "The City of New Orleans," "Brother Can You Spare a Dime," and "Ribbon of Steel." Additional release materials will include never-before-seen outtakes. Retail will be $14.99.
Old 05-05-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ian Jane Reviews Johnny Cash - Ridin' the Rails: The Great American Train Story

review is up
Old 01-17-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

THE ORIGINAL MAN IN BLACK IS BACK AS
JOHNNY CASH WALKS THE LINE ON DVD

I WALK THE LINE
and
STAGECOACH

Two Early Films Featuring Country Music Legend Johnny Cash
Are Rounded Up on DVD March 7

For Music Fans, A Treasure Trove of Original Cash Music Highlighted in Both Offerings

Culver City, Ca. (January 16, 2005) --- Country music legend Johnny Cash and his rich treasure of music are featured in one of the few theatrical-based offerings since his death on two films debuting on DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on March 7. The features include I WALK THE LINE, a well received, classic western film starring Gregory Peck, and STAGECOACH, a made-for-television gem based on the John Ford feature film classic.

I WALK THE LINE, directed by John Frankenheimer, features an all-star line up, including Peck, Tuesday Weld, Charles Durning and Estelle Parsons. Released in 1970, it spotlights Johnny Cash’s early music career throughout the film. STAGECOACH, filmed for the small screen in 1986, stars three country music icons, Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, plus June Carter Cash, Mary Crosby, Kris Kristofferson and John Schneider.

Among Cash’s most memorable record hits are “Cry, Cry, Cry/Hey Porter” (1955), “Ring of Fire” (1963), “Man In Black” (1971), “Folsom Prison Blues” (1968), “I Walk The Line” (1956), “Sunday Morning Coming Down” (1970” and “A Boy Named Sue” (1969).

About his signature song, “I Walk The Line,” Cash once said, “The lyrics came as fast as I could write, and in twenty minutes I had it finished."

Synopsis:

I WALK THE LINE
Gregory Peck plays a Southern sheriff who intends to bring moonshiner Ralph Meeker to justice. Instead, Peck falls in love with Meeker's nubile daughter Tuesday Weld, and arranges for the feds to keep their hands off Meeker's still. The sheriff is "rewarded" for this dereliction of duty when Meeker kills deputy Charles Durning. Even so, Peck leaves his wife in favor of Weld, who has fled the territory with her father. Having learned nothing from all this, Peck goes after Weld to beg her to stay with him. Even after the bloody climax, one suspects that Peck hasn't gotten the message. Not surprisingly, Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" is heard on the soundtrack at various crucial junctures.

STAGECOACH
The outlaws of country music—including Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson—team up and head across the Southwestern desert braving Indians, brigands and conflict in this made-for television version of John Ford's classic film.

I WALK THE LINE and STAGECOACH are available in widescreen presentation (1.85 aspect ratio) and have a run time of 97 and 95 minutes, respectively. I WALK THE LINE is rated PG for some violence and sexual content and STAGECOACH is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

I WALK THE LINE
DVD Catalog #: 14485
DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-14485-9
DVD Order Date: 2/2/06
DVD SLP: $14.94

STAGECOACH
DVD Catalog #: 14482
DVD UPC Code: 0-27616-14482-9
DVD Order Date: 2/2/06
DVD SLP: $19.94
Old 01-17-06, 04:30 PM

When will the San Quentin show ever be released on DVD?
Old 01-17-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

should stagecoach be in widescreen if it was made for tv in 1986?
Old 01-17-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Quatermass
I remember liking him in the TV Movie Murder In Coweta County with Andy Griffith back in the 80's. I expected Andy "Sheriff Taylor" Griffith to play the good guy and "The Man In Black" to play the bad guy instead of the other way around. Does anyone own the DVD of this? I might just rent it to see if it's as good as I remembered.

Edit: I see it sells for only $6.99 on Amazon, so I'll definitely get it.

Also Door to Door Maniac is available for 4.99 here but I don't know how good the quality is.
Since someone resurrected this thread, I thought I'd post that I now have both Door-To-Door Maniac (5 minutes to live) and Murder in Coweta County.

"Coweta" looks very good. It was probably shot on 16mm because it's a little grainy and it has a little bit of made-for-tv cheesiness but I really enjoyed watching it again after all these years.

Door-to-Door Maniac is a different story. It's a good movie, but the quality of the print is only "fair" and the transfer makes it look bizarre. It's almost as if someone took a still photo of certain scenes and animated their mouths using stop-motion animation a la "South Park" or Terry Gilliam's animation in the old Monty Python show. This one really needs a better release.