Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How come so many people hate those carboard slipcovers?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-18-05, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, while surfing the interweb almost daily on DVD Forums such as this, I've read hundreds of complaints about slipcovers. Now, I understand some people might not like them because they may "Stick out" in their collections (?), but seriously why such hatred for them? I mean, its not like its a snapper or anything. Its just an added bonus, like a collectable cover. I for one find nothing wrong with them, and actually find them quite attractive sitting on my shelf. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-18-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like them. A DVD that comes with a slipcase always feels a bit more special.

I got Desperado Superbit the other day and it came without a slipcover. I was upset
Old 02-18-05, 09:56 PM

I think it adds appeal to the purchase.
Old 02-18-05, 09:56 PM

I don't know, they're everywhere these days. It seems like every new release I see has one.. I used to just throw them away, but now the keepcase itself often doesn't have the same title / artwork on it (Predator 2, Resident Evil 2) and they just look dumb on my shelf. And they're unnecessary, I guess.. I even get pissy about double disc packaging (because I know it's very possible to fit two discs in a single keepcase) because I end up having to squeeze things into my shelf because it wasn't designed for extra crap..

argh, I hate extra crap.. just give me my movie please..
Old 02-18-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel L
I even get pissy about double disc packaging (because I know it's very possible to fit two discs in a single keepcase) because I end up having to squeeze things into my shelf because it wasn't designed for extra crap...
I hate big packaging too. Give me 2 disks in a single-size keepcase please. Us DVD addicts need to save as much shelf space as we can.

Slipcases don't take up any extra room though
Old 02-18-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the one for donnie darko just looked nasty. But I generally like the slip cases.
Old 02-18-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
I don't mind slipcovers. Some of them are pretty well done.
Old 02-18-05, 10:46 PM

We will see them more and more due to DVD theft. Its just too easy to get to a DVD just in a keepcase...when they do the keepcases with the 2 little locks, its not that easy anymore...and when they do the little locks AND a cardboard slipcover, it get more difficult. I like them myself, and I think that no matter what the studios do, someone somewhere will always disapprove. They just cant win.

I also think that studio execs think with their a** sometimes, but I think that we should let the slipcover idea slide...If you dont like them, throw them out...easy as that.
Old 02-18-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The " Saw " slipcover is pretty good.
Old 02-18-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Slip covers can be redundant, especially when it's nothing more than exact duplicates of the DVD case's art work. And some use flimsy cardboard, which doesn't add much to it.
Old 02-18-05, 11:03 PM

I don´t think they do it for our pleasure...they do it to prevent theft
Old 02-18-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I overall like slipcovers, especially when its different from the regular cover. I think it makes the spine more attractive when its sitting on my shelving too.
Old 02-18-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For those who don't use re-sealable sleeve/covers to protect the library.....these are fine and work as a little added protection. I do use sleeves but still don't mind these when I get them. So I guess I have protection for my protection.
Old 02-19-05, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I don't mind slipcovers. Some of them are pretty well done.
Day after tomorrow was a pretty sweet slipcover. I've been trying to find a decent used copy and none have included the slip cover
Old 02-19-05, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eplicon
Slip covers can be redundant, especially when it's nothing more than exact duplicates of the DVD case's art work. And some use flimsy cardboard, which doesn't add much to it.
My thoughts excatly. Duplicate covers for same disc have no purpose or use for me nonewhatsoever.
Old 02-19-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The only time it really serves a purpose is when it's one of the ones like on the Disney Platinums that have a fold-out section on the front, which means you have two extra "pages" to list all the bonus features and even provide pictures.

I don't really see how they would stop theft. It's simple to slide the disc out of the slipcover-it's not as if it's taped or glued on. Okay, the metal one for the T2:EE was kind of a bitch to get off, but the cardboard ones are easy. In some cases (no pun intended), if they put it in a slipcover, there aren't as many of the security stickers. I would think a keepcase with one sticker in a slipcover would be easier to steal than a keepcase with three stickers not in a slipcover.

Then there is that scam someone mentioned in another thread where a guy put a $50 videogame in a DVD slipcover and got the game for the price of the DVD. Even if stores are aware of this and check, that means the cashier has to slide the case out a little to make sure what's in the slipcover matches the outside, or at least check the sticker on the top of the case.

Also, they haven't been providing inserts, presumably to cut costs. I'm not saying inserts are a big deal or anything, but I'd rather have an insert than a slipcover (which must be more expensive to produce).
Old 02-19-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I love them.
Old 02-19-05, 03:27 AM

I think the one for donnie darko just looked nasty.
I don't know if it's the slipcase.. but the Donnie Darko DC artwork is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen... "Real Genius", move over..

Seriously though, slipcase releases from the last few weeks just off the top of my head.. Donnie Darko, The Fifth Element, Leon the Professional, Predator 2, Resident Evil Apocalypse, Dawn of the Dead 2003, AvP.. what's the deal? And if they're not slipcases, they're cardboard boxes.. I'm sorry, but these things look ugly and they get beat up easily. Even Criterion has been pumping out the cardboard lately. Yes, I suppose it makes the DVD look unique, but when you've got 100 + of them (or 1000 + of them) it's really kind of stupid. I suppose if I owned one DVD, I would think it was neat.
Old 02-19-05, 04:09 AM
Banned

Count me in as one who likes em!
Old 02-19-05, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel L
I even get pissy about double disc packaging (because I know it's very possible to fit two discs in a single keepcase)
Hell, its possible to get 4 discs in a single keepcase, or 2 discs in a half-size keepcase. I transfer all my Fox TV shows to such cases because I really hate fold-out digipacks.

As for slipcovers I think they are a waste of trees and a hassle to keep in good condition (its not like I can throw them away and not worry about it, after all I PAID for the damn thing!)
Old 02-19-05, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Received 666 Likes on 448 Posts
I don't "hate" them, but I don't see the need. If you want to include different artsy stuff, put it inside, it'll last long in there. I really just want the disc.
Old 02-19-05, 07:01 AM

I like them if the artwork is different or clear (Underworld Extended, Fear & Loathing Criterion, etc.). I think they are a waste if they are exactly like the DVD cover and back.
Old 02-19-05, 07:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

what I hate is that they don't shrinkwrap them. So, they just get messed up sitting on the store shelf.
Old 02-19-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
The " Saw " slipcover is pretty good.
This just arrived in the post today. I really like it too. But take the slipcover off and it looks pretty crap as it's just a coverless box with a disk inside.
Old 02-19-05, 07:51 AM

I'd rather take an insert over a slipcase any day of the week, but other than that I have nothing against them. The Bad Boys II slipcase was pretty cool looking, but what was the point with the POTC slipcover? It looked exactly precisely the same as the keepcase!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.