Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

what part did Paul McCartney and John Lennon in these two songs...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul McCartney is listed as co-writer to the hit Veronica by Elvis Costello (late 1980's). What contributions did McCartney make? Lyrical or musical?

I think "Veronica" is a catchy tune, and its cool that McCartney had a hand in it.

John Lennon is listed as co-writer to the hit Fame by David Bowie in 1975 (a #1 hit) - same question as above.
Old 02-18-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This came from rec.music.beatles concerning the latter:
Bowie told Paul Gambaccini in 1993 his recollection of the writing of Fame. He and Carlos [Alomar] had been working on the riff but getting nowhere when John turned up. The way Bowie tells it, Lennon's arrival inspired them that they quickly threw the song together, though Lennon's actual contribution was quite small. When they were jamming to Carlos' riff, Lennon kept singing "Aim" in a high-pitched voice. Bowie changed this to "Fame", wrote the lyrics, and that was pretty much the song. Strictly speaking, I don't think Lennon did enough to warrant an actual writing co-credit, but Bowie said he and Carlos decided to give him one anyway out of respect and also because they probably wouldn't have been inspired to write the song without his presence.

There's also another angle to consider. In 1975, Bowie was still trying to make his name in America, and Lennon was a much bigger name than Bowie. Bowie may have calculated that it was worth giving Lennon a credit to be able to say "I wrote this song with John Lennon". If that was his calculation, it apparently worked, because the song gave Bowie his first US #1 single.
Old 02-18-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
From Costello's liner notes to Spike:

I began writing with Paul McCartney, for his album Flowers in the Dirt, in 1987. We went on to compose a dozen songs together. "Veronica" was one of the very first songs that we worked on. It is a wishful song about my grandmother's failing hold on memory and reality. As the subject was so personal, I didn't find it easy to edit the song. Paul put some shape into the music of a rambling bridge and tightened up a few of the lyrical lines in the verses.
Old 02-18-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Paul also played bass on Veronica.
Old 02-19-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Do Lennon and McCartney get a credit on "Young Americans"? It uses some of "A Day in the Life."

It's odd how little you can do to get a co-writing credit, look at Sting and Dire Straights' "Money for Nothing."
Old 02-20-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Macca on the Flowers In The Dirt tour and listened to the release alot at the time. The songs with Costello aren't bad. I can easily see it being a case of Paul doing more melody than lyrics on their spings together.
Old 02-20-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The B-side of Once Upon A Long Ago called "Back On My Feet" was the first song that Paul and Elvis Costello worked on together. It's available on the UK version of Flowers In The Dirt I believe. Good song too.