Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Netflix or Blockbuster?

deviant03
02-17-05, 08:01 PM
Which rental service would you guys recommend? At the moment Im leaning towards Blockbuster because of the lower price and the 2 free rentals in store but would like to hear some opinions if anyone has tried both. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cygnet74
02-17-05, 08:05 PM
blockbuster was much, much slower than netflix in my case. might depend on your location.

bboisvert
02-17-05, 08:20 PM
It'll probably be based on two things:

1. What are you planning on renting?
2. How close are you to distribution centers?

Netflix has a larger selection, and is more likely to carry obscure/indie films. And the answer to #2 will impact how quickly you get your discs and they get your returns. Even a day delay will add up to a lot of rentals over time, so that isn't trivial.

I'd suggest doing a trial with each one, since both are cheap (free?) for an initial trial.

Me? I'm a big fan of Netflix.

nightmaster
02-17-05, 08:23 PM
Netflix.

Sanitarium
02-17-05, 08:36 PM
I had Netflix for about a year. Then the service got ungodly slow and they would frequently send me the wrong disc. I canceled and started Blockbuster. So far it's been nice other then the fact that almost all the discs I want are either "Short Wait" or "Very Long Wait". Both suck IMO, but Blockbuster is the lesser of the two evils since you get two in store rentals. Not that I have a Blockbuster within 50 miles of here, but it's the thought that counts.

BenboC
02-17-05, 08:36 PM
I've tried both and Netflix is more faster and reliable. Problem is that netflix has been kinda crappy for me the last month or two, though it's recovering slightly. I would've said netflix hands down a couple months ago. Now I'll still say netflix, but not by much. You should check where the distribution centers are in your area. There's a list floating around the web somewhere, but I don't know how updated it is though. I do recall that Blockbuster had a ton more wait-listed movies when I tried it, but that was when they were still in beta stage.

nemein
02-17-05, 08:37 PM
I usually recommend Netflix, I've been using them since '99, but recently the service has been very spotty. Sometimes extra days will be tacked on for the turn around w/ little explaination, and emails asking what's going on go unanswered.

toccoa_winters
02-17-05, 09:29 PM
netflix. ive been getting great service lately but even when they do get slow it doesnt take more than 2 and very rarely 3 days to get my rentals.

Rammsteinfan
02-17-05, 09:38 PM
Ive done both in the past year and Blockbuster has my business right now... much faster shipping to my place and better customer service so far. Plus all the extras u can get such as rental coupons and 20% off DVD coupons each month.

Willh51
02-17-05, 09:40 PM
Blockbuster by far.

It's cheap, only 14.99
Turn around times are good
two free instore rentals
more choices on unrated, etc.
widescreen movies
also, they gets lots of collectors sets, i.e. Raging Bull S.E.

thelwig14
02-17-05, 09:44 PM
The two in store rentals are the kicker for me. That adds up to $13 by itself (use them on games).

Rammsteinfan
02-17-05, 09:45 PM
Yeah, me too... i love those rental coupons. The 20% off any DVD is good too, i use it on box sets.

mbs
02-17-05, 09:47 PM
It depends on how close you live to a distribution center. In Madison, WI the Netflix service is MUCH, MUCH faster than Blockbuster (there is a Netflix distribution center in town, while Blockbuster's closest is in Minnesota).

During my Blockbuster trial, I was getting 2 turn-arounds with Netflix for every Blockbuster turn-around.

deviant03
02-17-05, 11:20 PM
The two in store rentals are the kicker for me. That adds up to $13 by itself (use them on games).

My thoughts exactly, Im located in NY so I figure with both companies the turn around time should be about the same. But the thing is I have a whole chain of Blockbusters within a two mile radius/walking distance so the two free rentals a month did it for me, gonna try out Blockbuster first then maybe Netflix. Anyone know if the DVDs would be shipping from a local Blockbuster or a specific distribution center as mentioned earlier?

GMLSKIS
02-17-05, 11:21 PM
blockbuster was much, much slower than netflix in my case. might depend on your location.

Same here - Netflix blows away Blockbuster for me which blew away WalMart which just plain sucked in delivery times.

Wooderson
02-17-05, 11:27 PM
but Blockbuster is the lesser of the two evils since .

There is no way anyone is more evil than Blockbuster.

Ron G
02-18-05, 12:20 AM
The Netflix guys came up with the idea. I think they should profit from it.

Blockbuster's just jumping on because they feel threatened, and because they'd like to control this aspect of the rental market as well. I'm not an anti-capitalist or anything, but this seems like something Teddy Roosevelt and his trustbusters need to resurrect themselves to deal with this.

Netflix can vary in quality--when we were in Oregon, service was very, very, fast, but now in Indiana, it's slower. Still, I feel good about the company, and am glad to see that they stock pretty much everything I've ever thought to look for.

As a Film Studies Prof, I look for some pretty unusual stuff.

A good company. They deserve to succeed.

DealMan
02-18-05, 01:20 AM
Blockbuster online by far.

Better selection, price, comparable delivery time, 2 in-store rentals. 'nuff said.

Chew
02-18-05, 07:34 AM
I usually recommend Netflix, I've been using them since '99, but recently the service has been very spotty. Sometimes extra days will be tacked on for the turn around w/ little explaination, and emails asking what's going on go unanswered.

I've had the same thing happening to me lately. I decided to cancel Netflix and switch over to Blockbuster for a couple months. Hopefully, I'll be treated with the service of a "new customer" when I switch back.

Class316
02-18-05, 09:38 AM
Yea my netflix turnaround has been slower than before. Before I'd send Monday, they'd get them Tuesday, new discs by Wednesday

chess
02-18-05, 10:45 AM
Netflix distribution centers:

Atlanta, GA (Duluth)
Baton Rouge, LA
Boston, MA (Worcester)
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Columbia, SC
Dallas, TX (Coppell)
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI (Lansing)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Greensboro, NC
Honolulu, HI
Houston, TX
Kansas City, MO
Lakeland, FL
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA (Santa Ana)
Louisville, KY
Minneapolis, MN
New York, NY (Flushing)
Newark, NJ (New Brunswick)
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Phoenix, AZ (Tempe)
Portland, OR (Salem)
Rochester, NY
Saint Louis, MO
San Jose, CA
Seattle, WA (Tacoma)
Washington, DC (Gaithersburg, MD)

I use Blockbuster, and I get movies turned over quick, so I go through about 15/month plus the two in-store. I have about 100 DVDs in my cue and probably 2/3 of those are short wait or long wait.

I may go for the Netflix free trial month sometime and see how they do. If turnaround time is better, or if more is available, that would negate the 2 in-store rentals from BB...though it is cool to use them for games sometimes, and it's also nice to be able to just grab a movie for the weekend if nothing comes in the mail.

orangecrush
02-18-05, 11:50 AM
The Netflix guys came up with the idea. I think they should profit from it.

Blockbuster's just jumping on because they feel threatened, and because they'd like to control this aspect of the rental market as well. I'm not an anti-capitalist or anything, but this seems like something Teddy Roosevelt and his trustbusters need to resurrect themselves to deal with this.

Blockbuster is the reason that Netflix now costs <$18 vs. $22. Competition is a very good thing for consumers.

IamHydrogen1
02-18-05, 12:41 PM
Netflix has been horribly slow for me the last month. I'm frankly shocked that they have gone downhill this fast.

deviant03
02-18-05, 12:53 PM
Anyone here have any problems logging into Blockbuster.com? Im not too impressed with their service so far.. I tried to open an account last night and it wouldnt accept my credit card, I had to wait 3 hours to try again before it went through. Then I couldnt access the site for a couple of hours after, it said site was down for maintanence. Finally I was able to log on and add a few dvds to my queue last night. Now Im trying to check the status on when they will ship but I keep getting the logon screen, I login wait and wait and wait for the page to load just to get the friggin login screen again. Forget about turn around times, I can barely even login to the site! And of course in this hi-tech day and age of convenience I cant even find a phone number to call to speak to a human -ohbfrank-

tasha99
02-18-05, 05:15 PM
I've done both and am currently using Netflix. Turn around time for me is 2 days, while Blockbuster was 4 (Walmart was a week!). Also, maybe it's just the movies I was looking for, but Blockbuster doesn't seem to have the selection Netflix does.

matome
02-18-05, 08:03 PM
Netflix for delivery times, Blockbuster for selection (especially the newer SE's that Netflix will never carry)

deviant03
02-19-05, 05:56 PM
Alright so far so good, at least I received my dvd in one day from BB :)

mphtrilogy
02-23-05, 01:20 PM
i just cancelled netflix today, after 5 years, I was a long time customer.

I switched because blockbuster offered $3 less, plus two instore rentals. they also seem to recevie the movie faster, as they have some sort of system worked out with the PO to say that they received it at the PO and allow the next movie to be shippd.

Aftefr a shaky 1st few weeks on BB, the past 3 weeks have been superb. They seem to have a pretty good mix of new and old movies, and there new releases do not seem to be plagued by the same issue with netflix, which is if you do not get that new release shipped on Monday night you ar escrewed with a very long wait time. BB seems to have less of an issue with that, and if you need to, you can go in store and use one of the coupons on a hot new title.

BB seems a slight lag in the older classic and niche movies, but they do have most of them, you may have to wait a bit more than in netflix. They also have a very good selection of TV shows.

Netflix needed to rbing there price down to $15 to keep my business after all these years, loyalty only works if it is a tie. And right now, BB is blowing them away, more rentals per $$.

jrockjkj
03-21-05, 05:08 AM
'Sup, all? I just cancelled Blockbuster Online, they were crazy slow. It would take like 4 days for each movie. The in-store coupons should've been a clincher, but:
1)I don't rent many games (3 young girls and a wife) and 2)I basically use it for new releases which is a waste these days with Blockbuster's 'end of late fees' and 'Movie Pass'. Their shelves are empty.
I signed up for Netflix's free trial on Monday, and got 'Saw', 'Mr. 3000', and 'Sky Captain' on TUESDAY. I was sold. I couldn't get any of those from Blockbuster. I've had it a few weeks and they've never skipped a movie in my queue for a wait like Blockbuster did all the time. I get too many more rentals a month with Netflix, it's like 2 BBOnline accounts. And you guys forgot the Oklahoma City distribution center where I live that beats out Dallas and Kansas City for Blockbuster.

Giles
03-21-05, 12:27 PM
so does Blockbuster carry films like Emmanuell in America, (if you know what I mean)?

The one major complaint I have with Netflix is the fact that they don't seem to carry titles from either Strand Home Video or Cinevista.

BabiG
03-21-05, 12:48 PM
they have some sort of system worked out with the PO to say that they received it at the PO and allow the next movie to be shippd.
Has this actually helped for anyone? When I did my trial just recently, I would wait the normal time to ship something back, they would say they received the movie in their email, but then they would wait 24+ hours before shipping out the next one, even if it was "Available Now". I'm certain they don't scan it at the post office at my end, despite dropping it off specifically at a couple of them to see if that helped, because it takes the same transit time to receive it as to send it. It doesn't seem to be helping on our side, it's probably more for blockbuster's benefit. I also had issues where I would have several movies with the same status at the top of my queue, either available now or short wait, and they would skip the ones at the top and give me my 3rd or 4th movie.

kakihara1
03-21-05, 02:27 PM

Atlanta, GA (Duluth)
Baton Rouge, LA
Boston, MA (Worcester)
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Columbia, SC
Dallas, TX (Coppell)
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI (Lansing)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Greensboro, NC
Honolulu, HI
Houston, TX
Kansas City, MO
Lakeland, FL
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA (Santa Ana)
Louisville, KY
Minneapolis, MN
New York, NY (Flushing)
Newark, NJ (New Brunswick)
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Phoenix, AZ (Tempe)
Portland, OR (Salem)
Rochester, NY
Saint Louis, MO
San Jose, CA
Seattle, WA (Tacoma)
Washington, DC (Gaithersburg, MD)

I use Blockbuster, and I get movies turned over quick, so I go through about 15/month plus the two in-store. I have about 100 DVDs in my cue and probably 2/3 of those are short wait or long wait.

I may go for the Netflix free trial month sometime and see how they do. If turnaround time is better, or if more is available, that would negate the 2 in-store rentals from BB...though it is cool to use them for games sometimes, and it's also nice to be able to just grab a movie for the weekend if nothing comes in the mail.

Just wanted to help add to your list, I Live in Fort Wayne Indiana and my disks come from Lansing Michigan and Indianapolis. Turn around times are typically excellent for me, unless of course it's the holiday season then things seem to slow down quite a bit. The only real problems I've had with them seem to be the occasional mix up with the version of the disk sometimes they say they are special edition when in fact they are a barebone version, stuff like that. I give them an overal 8.5 out of 10. :thumbsup:

rezrez12
03-21-05, 02:32 PM
I signed up for netflix almost a year ago and I had great service and 2 day turnaround times in the LA area. I then left for the blockbuster, it was a killer deal, but it seemed like it took forever to get my dvd's like 3-4 days total. I then decided to go back to netflix, and now it takes netflix almost a week. I sent my Dvd's on sunday (monday) and didn't get new ones back until the following saturday. The distribution center is only 30 miles from me...

I think i'm going back to blockbuster again.. Go figure!

Giles
03-22-05, 11:15 AM
I am also finding a number of DVD's that have been released that Netflix for some reason or the other either doesn't know have been released or doesn't want or can't make available for rental

- The Raspberry Reich
- The Good Old Naughty Days
- Taxi Zum Klo
- Artie Lang - It's the Whiskey Talking
- Mad Monster Party (Rankin/Bass animated TV show) (Blockbuster has this, Netflix doesn't - what gives?)

dtcarson
03-22-05, 11:34 AM
Blockbuster offers more for less money [for me] based on the monthly fee and the 2 free rentals which I use for games, which is worth 13.50 or so right there.]
Blockbuster is 'slower', however, mostly because their inventory levels suck, so if you have something that's in 'Wait' status at the top of the queue, they 'look' for it and that can take a day or two before they skip down to the first Available. Once it's shipped, it usually takes 1-2 days to get to me [they have a distro center about 100 miles away]. At no time in the last two weeks have I had more than 50% of my queue 'Available' [not even counting 'Coming Soon'.] I've written to them a couple times about this, and they've basically said 'Please bear with us, we're working on improving our inventory.' I'm keeping a spreadsheet, and after a month or so, if I don't see an improvement, I'll complain again. [As of right now, 50.79% of my non-Coming Soon queue is in some Wait status, and that's the best it's been yet. Whoever's got Disk 1 of S2 of BtVS, return it! You've had it like a month!]\

Speaking of Disk 1--
I have 8 non-anime S1 sets on my BB queue. 4 of them have Disk 1 in 'Wait' and the rest Available, 2 of them have Disk 1 in wait and some or all of the others also in a wait status. I can't imagine a customer would steal a Disk 1 to lower their inventory levels; I realize since sometimes they have more content, it might take longer to watch a TV series disk 1, but this is somewhat disconcerting.

kantonburg
03-24-05, 10:14 AM
Where are Blockbusters distribution centers?

DeputyDave
03-25-05, 12:51 PM
Blockbuster offers more for less money [for me] based on the monthly fee and the 2 free rentals which I use for games, which is worth 13.50 or so right there.]
Blockbuster is 'slower', however, mostly because their inventory levels suck, so if you have something that's in 'Wait' status at the top of the queue, they 'look' for it and that can take a day or two before they skip down to the first Available. Once it's shipped, it usually takes 1-2 days to get to me [they have a distro center about 100 miles away]. At no time in the last two weeks have I had more than 50% of my queue 'Available' [not even counting 'Coming Soon'.] I've written to them a couple times about this, and they've basically said 'Please bear with us, we're working on improving our inventory.' I'm keeping a spreadsheet, and after a month or so, if I don't see an improvement, I'll complain again. [As of right now, 50.79% of my non-Coming Soon queue is in some Wait status, and that's the best it's been yet. Whoever's got Disk 1 of S2 of BtVS, return it! You've had it like a month!]\

Speaking of Disk 1--
I have 8 non-anime S1 sets on my BB queue. 4 of them have Disk 1 in 'Wait' and the rest Available, 2 of them have Disk 1 in wait and some or all of the others also in a wait status. I can't imagine a customer would steal a Disk 1 to lower their inventory levels; I realize since sometimes they have more content, it might take longer to watch a TV series disk 1, but this is somewhat disconcerting.Does BB wait on sending you discs 2 or 3 if disc 1 of a season set is not available? I refuse to watch a series on DVD out of order (even if they don't have a story arch) and i can't think of anything more useless than having disc 2 when disc 1 still has a wait on it.

EDIT: Just like the post above: Where are Blockbusters distribution centers?

dtcarson
03-28-05, 10:21 AM
Well, either BBO has no clue what they're doing, or they don't send you disk 2 of a series unless/until they send disk 1. I have a couple series that are listed as series [their entries are all in one color, a different color from the standalone titles.] The first couple things in my queue were on Wait status [go figure], so they skipped over the series that had Disk 1 in Wait. Trouble is, they sent me Disk 3 of an anime series, which was *not* identified as a 'series', even though I've got Disks 1-2 also in the queue.
HOWEVER--the title they sent me? Was like number 35 in my queue. The first 6 or 8 things in queue were in Wait, they skipped the two series with disk 1's in Wait, and then apparently skipped a whole bunch of other crap to send me this disk, which was nowhere near the top of my queue.
Dammit, I wanted to like BBO, because of the in-store rentals and better pricing, but they are really screwed up.
Once they ship something, it gets here pretty quickly [they shipped something 3/24 and it arrived on Saturday, I can deal with that.] But it takes them forever to find something due to their crappy inventory levels, and then they apparently choose stuff at random out of the queue.

According to a post on Engadget, BBO's distro centers are:
Charlotte, NC
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Lansing, MI
Miami, FL
Minneapolis, MN
Flushing, NY
Sacramento, CA
Santa Ana, CA
Seattle, WA
That was of Dec 2004.

13 more allegedly added in Jan 05
TX, Houston
MA, Worcester
MD, Gaithersburg
PA, Philadelphia
GA, Atlanta
NJ, Edison
IL, Chicago
MO, St. Louis
CT, Stamford
CA, San Jose
FL, Tampa
OH, Cleveland
AZ, Phoenix

according to random posts on Hackingnetflix.com, so I can't vouch for their accuracy. I have personally sent disks back to Gaithersburg, Atlanta, charlotte, Dallas, and Denver.

Jeraden
03-28-05, 01:31 PM
I finally cancelled Blockbuster. After 2 months my rental queue was as bad as it was when I was with Netflix. 75% of it was Long/Short Wait. Also, on 3 occasions I never received a disk they sent, however they checked it back in. On one on of those, all I got was the outer flap of the envelope. I'm guessing the flimsy envelope "de-perforated" while mailing, so all I got was the outer piece that has my address. This revealed the return address underneath, so it ended up getting sent right back somewhere along the line. The 2 other times I never got the outer flap, but just noticed after a week it was checked back in. Got very confusing. Fortunately the disc I guess stayed in the envelope and never fell out. Add to that a few extremely scratched discs that locked up at various spots and it just got very frustrating.

dtcarson
03-28-05, 01:35 PM
I got one 'deperforated' disk this weekend, they told me to report it as 'damaged' [which I had already done] but didnt' tell me if it would count against me. Their envelopes definitely are cheaper and shoddier than NF's.

matome
03-30-05, 09:24 AM
Blockbuster has really gone downhill with their in-stock status. I have about 40 catalog titles queued (stuff like <i>Misery, Mask</i>) and all of them them are listed as Short/Long Wait. Their mailers are definitely a lot crappier then Netflix's. I received quite a few that had the flap open. I'm just surprised the DVD didn't happen to "disappear" from those.

Maxflier
03-30-05, 11:22 AM
I have been debating joining Netflix for a while now,but after seeing that there is a distribution center so close to where i live,i decided to give it a try since i should get very quick turnarounds.I wouldn't even mess with Block Buster for the simple fact that their regular stores pissed me off so much.

Richsand25
03-30-05, 06:12 PM
Hello,
I have just recently signed up with Blockbuster and there turn around is slow. They do not ship out the same day they receive a dvd they wait until the next day. Netflix recieves and ships the same day.

onebyone
03-30-05, 06:55 PM
I think Blockbuster is catching up fast, and with the lower price AND the free rentals, I got to give them the edge. Netflix seems to be getting slower and slower and slower, while BB is picking up speed. Sometimes there is a wait for more obscure titles at BB that there wouldn't be at Netflix, but I am ok with that with the price difference. I just don't think Netflix is as fast as they used to be, so I got to consider price.

BrianYuen
04-01-05, 01:12 PM
its got to be Netflix cause of the unlimited renting, but I'm not to fond of the $15 monthy price. maybe its just me but i know I'm poor

eddieg50
04-07-05, 06:00 PM
i have tried them both and netflix is much faster in shipping it is not even close i like blockbusters interface but their shipping is very slow so i now go with netflix

Sominex
04-08-05, 04:33 PM

Can you use the "2 in store rentals" on Gamecube games??

And if so, HOW LONG can you keep each one out for?

If I can use the in store rentals on games, I am SOLD!

dtcarson
04-08-05, 04:38 PM
If your BBV has gamecube games, yes. I've been using mine on PS2 games. Since they've started their new No Late fees thing, you can rent a game for free for 13 days; and if you want to buy it, that first 6.99 was already paid for by the coupon, so it's like seven bucks off.
Today when I measured my BBO queue, was the first time in 17 measurements I had greater than 50% of my queue available. Assuming the queue/wait statuses mean a darn thing, perhaps they're finally starting to get some extra stock in.
My shipping to and from BBO is pretty quick, it just takes them a while to find me an available disk. I dropped two disks inthe mail Wednesday, they got one of them Thursday and sent me a new one Thursday--I should get it today or tomorrow. [I'm also learning not to return two things at once, at least not in the same mailbox--whenever I do that, they always check in one of them early and it takes a while for the second one.]

kchak
04-26-05, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I am in Madison WI. Could you possibly give me a turnaround time for Netflix delivery. Say I put in an item in the queue by 8 AM Monday. Assuming the movie is popular enough, when do I generally get it in my mail.

Thanks,
K

dvde
05-06-05, 04:21 PM
So I resigned up for Netflix the other day. All I have to say is that they now SUCK! It takes them two days to send out my first dvd and now it says the next two will ship on Monday (today being Friday). All the titles I have are marked as available now. So what's up with them taking a extra few days to send me out the dvd's that are available now? This is unacceptable in my opinion. I guess it's time to try Blockbuster.

nbourbaki
05-10-05, 10:32 AM
I also had issues where I would have several movies with the same status at the top of my queue, either available now or short wait, and they would skip the ones at the top and give me my 3rd or 4th movie.

This is the problem I've been having with Netflix. It seems that over the last month the movies at the top of my queue showing "Now" availability are skipped over and movies further down in the queue ships. In one case I was rearranging my que when my selections were pulled and the titles at the top showed available before and after and yet they pulled titles lower on my queue. The other problem I've been having with Netflix is how they throttle your account if you return too quickly. I get my mail in the morning and I have put those same DVDs in the mailbox at the post office in the afternoon, same day. It doesn't matter, they won't show up returned until three days later. Then they don't ship for 24 hours. Best I can do with Netflix is 3 discs a week

I'm trying the trial period with Blockbuster to see if they are any faster.

invisiblegt
05-11-05, 02:50 AM
I signed up for the free trial of Netflix (it just ended yesterday) and I'm very happy with them.

My turnaround has always been a day (so far). Say I receive a disc on Saturday. Watch it Sunday. It's in the mail Monday morning. They receive it Tuesday and ship out another disc. I receive it on Wednesday.

Works for me. Although, I am fairly close to a distribution center, in the form of Cleveland, OH or Pittsburgh, PA. I'm thinking of trying the Blockbuster free-trial, just for kicks. See how much better/worse it is...

mndtrp
05-11-05, 02:56 AM
I'm still not having trouble with Netflix, after having them for a year and a half. Most of the time the movies are shipped out the same day they are received, sometimes the next day. It's not enough of a problem for me to throw up my hands and go to that devil of a corporation, Blockbuster.

BigDan
05-13-05, 05:10 PM
I'm noticing a weird thing in which Netflix doesn't seem to be adding titles that Blockbuster is. And they seem to be pretty mainstream titles.

For example, Netflix doesn't have King of the Hill: Season 4 (though they do have the first three seasons).

And, thus far, they don't have the following titles up that Blockbuster has being released on 5/31:

Bedtime for Bonzo (Ronald Reagan's most famous movie)
Home Movies: Season 2 (they have Season 1)
The Late Shift (HBO movie about the Letterman/Leno thing)

Just seemed weird to me to have all these titles at once be unavailable through Netflix given that Netflix usually has almost anything I could possibly think of.

island007
05-13-05, 07:14 PM
I got Blockbuster one year free trial.

Emma311
05-13-05, 10:56 PM
I wasn't able to get the Blockbuster year free trial, but something strange is happening. I'm on my one month free trial for 3 movies at a time & today a 4th movie shipped out before they'd gotten one back. So now it looks like I'm getting 4 movies at once instead of 3 for my free month. I'm happy & I'm not complaining. I just thought it was strange. So far I'm getting dvds delivered quickly, but that seems the norm with your free month to get you in.

videodrome
05-17-05, 09:29 PM
I did the blockbuster three at a time-one
month free promo from usa today and put
40 movies in my queue, 33 are "available now"
and nothing has shipped since last thursday.

I wrote to CS but got a e-mail with a
bunch of links but no reason for the
delay.

Bleh, I'll stick with netflix as my
turn around in hawaii is a day and I
can get 5 movies a week on the three
out plan.

mattressman
05-18-05, 10:56 AM
as of now i have netflix, though i am thinking of trying blockbuster due to the free in store rentals and cheaper price. I was very happy with netflix for a bit, but i've received three cracked discs within the last month and when i returned them it took them about a week to come back to me. Turnaround times in general have just been dragging.
i'm just worried that title availability and selection will suck at blockbuster, as i've learned from their in store selection.
i'll probably just give blockbuster a shot and see how it works out, eh?

Jeraden
05-18-05, 12:47 PM
I wasn't able to get the Blockbuster year free trial, but something strange is happening. I'm on my one month free trial for 3 movies at a time & today a 4th movie shipped out before they'd gotten one back. So now it looks like I'm getting 4 movies at once instead of 3 for my free month. I'm happy & I'm not complaining. I just thought it was strange. So far I'm getting dvds delivered quickly, but that seems the norm with your free month to get you in.

Movies get scanned in at the post office when you return them, so your new ones get shipped out as soon as they receive notice from the post office that they are on their way back to them. So technically your account could show you have 6 movies out at a given time. They don't take them off your list until they are officially checked in when they receive them.

yashan
05-19-05, 04:13 PM
Movies get scanned in at the post office when you return them, so your new ones get shipped out as soon as they receive notice from the post office that they are on their way back to them. So technically your account could show you have 6 movies out at a given time. They don't take them off your list until they are officially checked in when they receive them.

This may be true but I experienced the same thing as Emma311. When I signed up, BB sent out the first three movies in my queue. The next day, while the first three were still in transit to my home, I got an e-mail stating that a fourth movie was also being shipped that day. The next day I got the three movies and the day after that the fourth arrived. I never had a chance to send back the discs nor did I report any problems with the DVDs. -confused-

I have another question regarding movies that are not "available now." If a movie at the top of your queue has a "short wait" or even a "long wait," how does Netflix and BB handle it? Does your account activity freeze until the first disc is available? will they instantly skip it and move to the next available title? or do they wait a pre-determined number of days and then move on to the next title? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

BigDan
05-19-05, 11:20 PM
They skip it and go to the next available one, though Blockbuster has often sent me movies they had listed as "Short Wait".

brody209
06-02-05, 01:28 AM
Has anyone else had this problem? I have the Blockbuster Online - 3 out ... Free trial month - never had a problem, all movies shipped one day, arrived the next. Once I started paying -- shipped one day, arrived no earlier than two days later.

Just curious

Goat3001
06-02-05, 02:54 AM
Blockbuster in-store movie pass is what I'm doing. Netflix is great, they have a huge selection and if you're doing the mail thing I definatly suggest Netflix since the turnaround is probably fastest. However, here is why I like Blockbuster in-store movie pass.

1- I decide the turnaround time. Currently, I go everyday. Also going to the store everyday isn't a hassle at all. If I know what I want I just walk in and pick it up, I'm out in less than 5 minutes.
2- What I want is what they'll have. I'm not going to be looking to rent something obscure.
3- I get exactly what I feel like watching. I'm not a slave to the queue.
4- New releases are usually there. With Netflix, new releases were usually on Very Long Wait.

MrX
06-02-05, 03:26 AM
Blockbuster for me

I got the intentional slowdown treatment from netflix after about a year so I dropped them at the start of the year. For about the first six monthes with netflix if I sent something back on a Monday I'd have my next disc Wednesday. At the time I dropped if I sent a disc back on a Monday I wouldn't have my next disc until Friday or Saturday and sometimes the following Monday. I had several that took almost 2 weeks.

Blockbuster has been much better and now that they have a hub in Chicago my dvds are getting here quicker

fujishig
06-02-05, 01:54 PM
Blockbuster in-store movie pass is what I'm doing. Netflix is great, they have a huge selection and if you're doing the mail thing I definatly suggest Netflix since the turnaround is probably fastest. However, here is why I like Blockbuster in-store movie pass.

1- I decide the turnaround time. Currently, I go everyday. Also going to the store everyday isn't a hassle at all. If I know what I want I just walk in and pick it up, I'm out in less than 5 minutes.
2- What I want is what they'll have. I'm not going to be looking to rent something obscure.
3- I get exactly what I feel like watching. I'm not a slave to the queue.
4- New releases are usually there. With Netflix, new releases were usually on Very Long Wait.

The reason I don't like the in-store pass is because all the freaking movies are gone, ever since they instituted this no-late-fees thing that lets people rent stuff an extra week. This combined with the monthly passes makes finding stuff even harder than it used to be.

It's much, much worse for videogames, though. I usually use the 2 free instore rentals I get from the online service on games, but they literally never have any new releases in, unless I'm really lucky.

I'm curious if you've seen this happen, or if your store remains unaffected by it? Or maybe your store just buys increased volume or something? This is the main reason why I'm trying out the online service...

dtcarson
06-02-05, 02:02 PM
I tried the BB game pass for one month, and in that one month, i tried everything I wanted to try.

I would not be able to do the BBV in-store movie pass. I think I'm paying more for BBO, but I get 2 free video/game rentals [which means I can pretty much have someting rented from the store 26 days out of the month, with the NLF thing]. Basically I'm part of why fushijg can't find anything to rent ;)
Also, I'd be surprised if 1/2 the stuff on my queue is even carried at a local BBV, much less in stock at any given time. Plus, it's just way more convenient, personally, for me to manage my queue and drop stuff in the mailbox--I'm willing to pay for that extra convenience.
My shipping time for BBO is fine, probably equal or slightly worse [but not much worse] than Netflix; but I don't churn and burn through disks anyway.

fujishig
06-02-05, 04:48 PM
I tried the BB game pass for one month, and in that one month, i tried everything I wanted to try.

I would not be able to do the BBV in-store movie pass. I think I'm paying more for BBO, but I get 2 free video/game rentals [which means I can pretty much have someting rented from the store 26 days out of the month, with the NLF thing]. Basically I'm part of why fushijg can't find anything to rent ;)
Also, I'd be surprised if 1/2 the stuff on my queue is even carried at a local BBV, much less in stock at any given time. Plus, it's just way more convenient, personally, for me to manage my queue and drop stuff in the mailbox--I'm willing to pay for that extra convenience.
My shipping time for BBO is fine, probably equal or slightly worse [but not much worse] than Netflix; but I don't churn and burn through disks anyway.

You're the culprit!

You know, I was going out of town this past weekend, and I still had four games I had rented. I could've kept them for another week, even though I knew I didn't have time to play them, but I made the trip to BB to return them anyway. It's so easy to just keep it out even if you're not using it, just because you can. So people can have new release movies for two weeks long now, until they finally get around to watching it (maybe longer if they're willing to spend an extra buck and a half or so). If I watched it the first night, but don't feel like going back to BB until next week, oh well. I can't see how this is good for anyone trying to find even the latest movies, much less the ones they only have one copy of anyway...

My BB online experience has been pretty good, though I'm not a paying customer yet, and that seems to be when the service starts suffering (ironic as that is). Still, all the turmoil BB is going through may yet spell doom for the online division...

BigDan
06-02-05, 08:24 PM
Has anyone else had this problem? I have the Blockbuster Online - 3 out ... Free trial month - never had a problem, all movies shipped one day, arrived the next. Once I started paying -- shipped one day, arrived no earlier than two days later.

Just curious

When I was with Blockbuster, I found that eventually, the shipments started taking longer in transit. I countered this by reporting everything as returned after three days.

Grenadier
06-03-05, 11:08 AM
I've recently started with Blockbuster, and noticed that the discs get returned to a local (Rochester, NY) PO box. Does that mean they have a distribution center locally? Or are they now to the point of having stores receive the returns?

spawndude
06-05-05, 12:45 AM
I've been with BB for three months now and it seems like service is getting slower but I havent been keeping accurate records to say for sure.

When I first started I would get three on the same day and send all three back at the same time the next day and then get three more a few days later. This went on for almost the entire trial period. At some point one of the three arrived back to BB two days later than the others.

I'm beginning to notice a pattern that has happened for the last five orders. I will get one by itself. The other two I still get on the same day but one will be a day late and the other will be a day early according to their estimated time of arrival.

atlantamoi
06-05-05, 09:54 AM
Now that I've tried both, Netflix's website BLOWS away Blockbuster. After my Blockbuster trial I will probably go back to Netflix. A bit quicker shipping.

Scott Weinberg
06-05-05, 08:37 PM
Longtime Netflix user here. Frankly I just love their service. I've read a lot about "intentional slowdowns" and other mysterious practices, but I've honestly never experienced any of them.

I did sign up for BB's service (for a month) just to compare ... and there is no comparison. Netflix blows BB away in every conceivable fashion. And no amount of shiny "coupons" are gonna change my mind. ;)

Rival11
06-05-05, 08:46 PM
I had Netflix and quit because of the delays alone.

While I think Netflix has a bigger selection, Blockbuster has no problems sending out new releases right away (this was a huge problem with netflix).

But, I'm still a new Blockbuster member and we all know what happens after you sign up for a while....

Brett
06-05-05, 08:52 PM
Has anyone in Massachusetts tried Blockbuster Online rentals?

Back in October or November I tried their free trial and it was MUCH slower than Netflix. Although now with the cheaper price, the free in-store rentals, and Netflix slow down in turn-around time. I am considering switching, but I wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with them in Massachusetts. I had heard rumors that they have also added a return hub in Worcester. MA, can anyone confirm this? What are average turn-around times?

Bugg
06-06-05, 01:35 AM
Has anyone in Massachusetts tried Blockbuster Online rentals?

Back in October or November I tried their free trial and it was MUCH slower than Netflix. Although now with the cheaper price, the free in-store rentals, and Netflix slow down in turn-around time. I am considering switching, but I wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with them in Massachusetts. I had heard rumors that they have also added a return hub in Worcester. MA, can anyone confirm this? What are average turn-around times?

I'm in RI (Which is pretty close) and yes Blockbuster does have a shipping center in Worcester. But they are still slower than Netflix. If it was only Oct/Nov when you tried them, then I am pretty sure they already had the Worcester hub at the time, so you would not see any difference now.

Although, I have noticed some more slowdown with Netflix since a few weeks ago when they started taking on Walmart accounts.

matome
06-06-05, 01:09 PM
A big plus for BB is that they have the newer versions or SE's of movies as well as the original version. Netflix has a no upgrade policy, if I remember reading correctly.

filmo70
06-08-05, 08:24 AM
I'll throw my hat into the ring and say Blockbuster was a better experience for me. I'm in Central Connecticut

Shipping to me: tie, both where equal (1 to 3 days)
Shipping to them: Blockbuster had an edge here (always 1-2 days)
Damaged discs: I had a serious problem with Netflix, I even had a replacement of a damage arrive damaged.
Selection: for what I was getting (mostly 60's, 70's stuff) both seemed the same.
Queue: Netflix would regularly skip my #1 selection even though it said available now.
Quitting: a-holes at netflix only give you 7 days to return movies, blockbuster gave me 20.
Price: BB $3 less + you get in store coupons

When I get back into the online rentals this fall/winter I am definitely going to blockbuster unless something drastic happens by then.

BigDan
06-08-05, 02:29 PM
I'm ending another month of Blockbuster.com, and I noticed they're shipping me discs directly from the stores (or at least they're going back to the stores, I assume they're coming from the stores, as well).

The downside of Blockbuster to me is that their service is inconsistent, at least for me.

The shipping times are all over the map. With Netflix, it will occassionally take an extra day for a disc to reach me after being shipped. With Blockbuster, the time a disc takes to get to me after shipping is all over the map with very few discs arriving the day after shipping.

On the return end, it sometimes takes forever for Blockbuster to check in a returned disc. I've had discs take several months before they showed up as received. Thankfully, you can get around this by reporting the disc returned after only 3 days from the shipment date, but it's still odd.

The titles picked are often randomly taken from the queue. Several "available now" titles are often skipped when discs are being allocated to ship.

Despite the additional day I have to wait for Netflix to ship me anything, I like their service because it is consistent. I can depend on it and plan accordingly and the service makes logical sense to me. I'm able to get more discs with Blockbuster, but the uncertainty of the arrivals, etc. makes me prefer Netflix.

Plus, Netflix's website still works better, in my opinion.

I wish Netflix wouldn't throttle me, but if they feel they have to do it, at least they're consistent with it.

mattressman
06-12-05, 05:06 PM
I just signed up for Blockbuster due to the free dvd and extended trial, and my god is it slow. that all falls back on location, though... I'll be switching back to netflix as soon as my free trial is up for blockbuster.

Manzana
06-14-05, 11:47 AM
I've been reading the various Netflix vs. Blockbuster threads, and I'm considering starting with Netflix due to good comments I hear from other people in my area.

My main question about Netflix which was not discussed in detail in any of the threads I saw is how bad are the new release wait times?

I read that new subscribers in their 14-day trial can pretty much get anything they want immediately. If that's true, it would seem to indicate Netflix holds back some Tuesday rentals for new subscribers?

I also saw that depending on the number of previous month rentals and your profitability score, Netflix gives certain customers higher priority. In addition, it is apparently important to get your discs back on Monday if you want a Tuesday release (I don't know how people figure out how to time your returns perfectly except through lots of trial and error).

Assuming you didn't time your returns well or were an above average renter that Netflix gives a lower priority, what is the current typical wait on new releases? For instance, if you marked a new release movie as #1 priority the day after it was shipped out to everyone else (i.e. on Wednesday), is it possible to get the new release shipped to you within a month?

Why do I ask? Because I often buy new releases that sound interesting when there are specials or bonus DVDs, but I don't go to theaters so by definition I haven't watched any new releases before I buy them. Therefore, I need to be able to rent new releases within the 30 day return period to decide if I should keep or return the new release DVD I bought. The bottomline is I'd like to know if the timing I need is possible with Netflix. Thanks.

Silt
06-15-05, 12:55 PM
I've only been with BBO a short time, but in that limited time I've been very impressed with the service. Every title in my queue has been available, once reported as shipped I have received it the next day, and my returns have been logged as returned usually the day after I drop them in the mail with my next title listed as shipped that same day.

Maybe it's the combination of having a distribution center in my town (Las Vegas) and so far only using the service to catch up on some HBO/Showtime series I've been wanting to see(which I figure are not as in demand as new releases)...but I couldn't be any happier with the service. Top that off with two free in-store rentals, and BBO is golden so far.

Now if I actually get the Season 2 DVDs of Buffy that I was told I would receive thru a promo site I referenced...this BBO deal will be super hot!

Picot12
06-23-05, 11:42 AM
I have a different question. Are the DVDs you get from Netflix or BB the same ones they sell in the stores or are they special copies made especially for NF/BB? Do they have the same special features on them as you buy in the stores? What about a 2 disc movie set...does that count for one of your three or is it two of the allowed three at a time?

I was on the BB website and it sounded like the Bonus discs were sent separately as another choice.

Grenadier
06-23-05, 11:53 AM
They're the same discs from what I've seen, minus the packaging.

BB sends multi discs sets as separate discs, UNLESS the movie is on 2 discs. For example, the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions have the movie over discs 1 and 2. Those discs would be sent together, so you can get the whole movie.

Extras-only discs are sent separately, and do count against your 3 total at one time.

BigDan
06-23-05, 12:38 PM
Assuming you didn't time your returns well or were an above average renter that Netflix gives a lower priority, what is the current typical wait on new releases? For instance, if you marked a new release movie as #1 priority the day after it was shipped out to everyone else (i.e. on Wednesday), is it possible to get the new release shipped to you within a month?

This is apparently not universal. I've seen others talk about very long waits for new releases if they don't time it just right, but I am a heavy renter and even times I don't time my returns just right, I usually can get new releases by the end of the week of release (the next week at the latest).

Brett
06-23-05, 01:32 PM
I have a different question. Are the DVDs you get from Netflix or BB the same ones they sell in the stores or are they special copies made especially for NF/BB? Do they have the same special features on them as you buy in the stores? What about a 2 disc movie set...does that count for one of your three or is it two of the allowed three at a time?

I was on the BB website and it sounded like the Bonus discs were sent separately as another choice.

Netflix definitely has their own versions of some titles, especially the TV series. If a series comes on dual-sided discs, then netflix tends to have their own single-sided version of these discs. They sometimes will do this with films as well (Secondhand Lions comes to mind). I am not a member of Blockbuster, but from what I can tell from their website, it looks like they do not do this, they send you the double-sided discs. So it'll take you twice as long to rent some series fron netflix as it will from Blockbuster.

Both sites offer the any bonus discs as separate items, which makes sense since not everyone is interested in the bonus marterials discs. They usually do not pull extras from the main disc and put them on a new sep disc, (except Netflix occasionaly does this when the disc is dual-sided), they merely offer the bonus discs that are part of the retail release.

chemosh6969
06-23-05, 09:06 PM
To start things off, I am with Netflix and Blockbuster and I have 8 out at a time with both.

In the last 90 day, I have had 9 damaged discs sent from Netflix. I have had 3 from Blockbuster.

I have made an excel spreadsheet that I can track how many movies I get each month. I am obviously a heavy user and have been with Netflix since April 2002 and there is no slowdown.

I joined Blockbuster in April and during that time I changed from 3 to 8 out at a time so right now I can only compare the two services for May.

I live in southern Oregon and both distribution centers are in northern Oregon, one being Salem and the other Portland.

So how many dvds did I get from each service last month?

Netflix: 34
Blockbuster: 66

Right now I have 50 movies left with Netflix that Blockbuster doesn't have and as soon as I am done I plan on cancelling.

I hate Blockbuster a lot, but when I can get double the movies for cheaper, I'll put aside my hatred for the time being until another service can compete.

spawndude
06-24-05, 02:43 AM
Wow, a potential of 16 disks at one time!!!
You must live in front of your TV 24/7.

chemosh6969
06-24-05, 09:36 AM
Wow, a potential of 16 disks at one time!!!
You must live in front of your TV 24/7.

I work master control at a television station by myself so I have to do something to stay awake because watching the news all night doesn't excite me all that much.

Netlfix usually gets spread out through the week and I get a big pile from Blockbuster on Monday with a couple more on Tuesday and then the same thing happens again at the end of the week.

DJ_Longfellow
06-24-05, 09:49 AM
Blockbuster has been much faster lately

Day1: Ship DVD back
Day2: DVD arrives, next disc ships
Day3: New DVD arrives....sometimes Day4.

3-4 day turnaround is GREAT

nemein
06-24-05, 10:47 AM
I'm also w/ both now (both on the "3" plan) and so far what I've found:

- Netflix is still the better of the two IMHO; the selection is better, the queue actually works (see below) and the turn around time hasn't been that bad (usually same or next day). The main problem w/ Netflix is getting new releases in a timely manner. Even if I try to time it properly I rarely seem to get new DVDs during release week anymore :(

- Blockbuster is better about getting out new releases to me and the coupons (which I usually use for games) are a nice touch. Also BB will "flip" DVDs on Sat whereas Netflix doesn't anymore (they used too when I first started w/ them). The main problem I've been having w/ BB so far is the queue software SUCKS. Several times now I've had it skip over titles further up in the queue that are "available now" and select ones further down. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact it usually happens w/ series (DS9 for example) and they end up getting sent out of sequence. Additionally when you add a series of DVDs to your queue they move as a group (renumber the first one and the rest of them follow in sequence). The only way you can move individual titles around is to add each DVD individually.

Talkin2Phil
06-24-05, 11:04 AM
So how many dvds did I get from each service last month?

Netflix: 34
Blockbuster: 66

In order for this comparison to have significant meaning, it would be useful to take in account the 'at home' time and purely evaluate the transit/processing time. Am I correct in assuming since you watch 100 movies a month you watch what you receive that day and you return the next day or do you have a back log? A backlog could skew the turnaround time and thus the total number of discs from one service/ month.

chemosh6969
06-24-05, 12:30 PM
In order for this comparison to have significant meaning, it would be useful to take in account the 'at home' time and purely evaluate the transit/processing time. Am I correct in assuming since you watch 100 movies a month you watch what you receive that day and you return the next day or do you have a back log? A backlog could skew the turnaround time and thus the total number of discs from one service/ month.

I figured someone would ask this as I remembered it after I made my post but didn't get around to adding it.

At the latest, movies are returned the day after I get them. At this point I make it a point to get rid of Netflix first which means I get them out the same day unless I get a lot from them.

Also, the time between they send and I get them is always scheduled for 3 days.

The reason I get so many more movies from Blockbuster is that the 3rd day after the movie has been shipped, I can report the dvd as being sent back but Blockbuster hasn't taken it off my queue.

With Netflix, it is 7 business days which even then I still report it about once a week.

I tried reporting the movie as not getting to me with Netflix but that ended up getting my account put on hold for a couple of days until a couple movies went back.

And that is my report.

Just one more thing, I can't stand trying to change the order of movies in my queue with Blockbuster. I have given up on trying because its such a pain.

Green Smurf
06-24-05, 07:02 PM
I used both services for a couple of months and have to say Netflix is far superior. When I was a 3 rentals a month my service was slow but I upped it to 5 at a time and its' been nice ever sinve. The only problem is when you rent a tv on dvd they usually take a little longer to come, and they are not open on Saturdays. Otherwise it's been great.

Blockbuster on the other hand, has taken up to a week to clear a dvd from my que. I have recieved more wrong disk and unplayable disk with Blockbuster in the 2 months I had them then the 4 years I was with Netflix. The 2 in store coupons are nice, but not enough for me to stay with them. Also I live in Milwaukee, WI I have had my dvd's swithed to 4 different hubs, and they seem to get worse and worse. Right now I'm out of Lansing, MI and I have had to wait almost 5 days to get a dvd. After this month I'll be canceling Blockbuster, the couple of titles that Blockbuster has that Netflix doesn't, doesn't outweight the crapiness of their service. Also BB has skipped available now and gone for one's lower on my que. I have 3 different tv on dvd series going currently, which really sucks, have the time I forget what I saw. I figure why bother messing with the crappy que, if they are going to send whatever they want anyway.

I guess you'll always get what you pay for.

Green Smurf
06-24-05, 07:05 PM
Just one more thing, I can't stand trying to change the order of movies in my queue with Blockbuster. I have given up on trying because its such a pain.

I have the same problem, the dvd's go where ever they want. I use Safari and that never works so I have to load IE, and it still doesn't put the dvd's that I want in the order that I want. Like I tried forever to get Black Christmas at the top of my que, never happened its sitting at number 4 now for 2 months, just never moves.

Also the wait on the stuff with BB is unbelieveable 90% of my Que which is about 140 titles is either short wait and long wait.

BigDan
06-28-05, 02:19 PM
I'm going to stop mentioning how my Netflix service works on message boards as it seems to get worse right after I do so.

For example, until this week, I always got the new release listed at the top of my queue if I had a return get to Netflix on Monday. Now they skip over the new releases.

I guess despite cutting my number of rentals significantly, I've fallen into an even lower level of service.

island007
06-28-05, 02:36 PM
BBV has been great. I got the one year free package and everything comes quicker than Netflix sent them out. I also get to have two B & M rentals.

Unless Netflix gives me a few months for free, I'm staying with BBV. BBV has better service, faster shipping times, two free B & M rentals and it cost less.

Manzana
06-29-05, 09:04 PM
I haven't signed up with either, but I plan to start a 3-out Netflix or BB in the next couple months. Even the local BB drone suggested signing up online because they have such poor inventory of catalog titles. For instance, they don't have recent releases like "Elvis by the Presleys". If everyone signed up online, then they might as well shut down their B&M stores so I was surprised they were encouraging people to stop coming into the store.

The most prevalent complaint I read against Netflix is the difficulty getting new releases (and slowness if you don't live near a hub or throttling back people who rent a lot). I live 30 miles from a hub, so hopefully it would be fast for me.

I believe Big Dan and a couple others have said it's usually possible to get a new release (even if you time your returns poorly) within a week or two of release. I could live with that if it's always true. Has anyone ever had a new release near the top of your queue take more than 3 weeks to ship?

I read that Netflix has a bigger selection of catalog titles, but they only carry the 1st edition of most DVDs (i.e. no Special Editions even though I see the new LBX SE of The Karate Kid on their page so that rule must not be 100%). By contrast, I read that BB carries many Special Editions, but they have a smaller selection of catalog titles. Since Netflix is now selling used DVDs, I hope they aren't trying to thin down their catalog title selection too much.

For someone who wants to get new releases within a couple weeks, wants a big selection of catalog titles, and wants Special Editions and Ultimate Editions when titles are re-released, it seems like neither Netflix or BB alone is sufficient. It would almost seem like you have to use Netflix for the obscure catalog titles and BB for the SE and UE re-releases, perhaps switching back and forth every few months?

Manzana
06-29-05, 09:13 PM
One other thing. I have used the Browse option on Netflix many times to see what they have. I have never seen any "bonus" or "extras" DVDs listed. Is the reason for that you must be a member and logged in to see anything besides whether they have a movie?

I assume whenever a Netflix Browse search shows the movie, this means they actually carry it as a rental? (In other words, it's not a tease like a BB B&M store where you could find the new cover for the Karate Kid LBX SE only to find out that every single rental copy they have is the old P&S version. When I asked about this, they never could explain how they got covers for new editions they said they never carried. "We get whatever they decide to send us" is the typical BB response.)

Has anyone seen or compiled a list of which TV series come on flippers that Netflix has decided to rent as individual sides (which sounds like Netflix is requesting special pressings just for themselves)?

BigDan
07-02-05, 05:37 PM
Another potentially bad Netflix thing that has apparently just started:

Used to, if a disc was shipped from an alternate shipping center, the customer still returned the disc to their normal shipping center. So even though the transit time to the customer was longer, the transit time back to Netflix from the customer was the same as if the disc had shipped from the normal shipping center.

Today, I received a disc that was shipped from Maryland and the return address is to Maryland. So, getting the disc took three mailing days, and I assume returning it will mean three mailing days, as well, rather than the one mailing day it normally takes to get a disc from me to my normal shipping center.

JohnDoeUSA
07-02-05, 10:23 PM
I hate BB b&m but have been very impressed with BBO service, and the coupons come in handy as well.

brody209
07-03-05, 02:42 AM
Question and a comment. How did the few of you get the Year Trial at Blockbuster Online?

I am in my third month with Blockbuster Online - and have the conspiracy theory thing going. My first month - (the free month) - every disc was shipped - and then received the next day (I'm 40 miles from the distribution spot). My second and third month I've had only two out of 20 movies come on the next day and sometimes waiting for up to 4 days.

Brody

yashan
07-05-05, 10:02 AM
I hate BB b&m but have been very impressed with BBO service, and the coupons come in handy as well.

Do you have to be a rental card holder at a Blockbuster store in order to redeem the "Free DVD" coupon?

Grenadier
07-05-05, 10:43 AM
Yes. They scanned my card when I used my coupons.

fujishig
07-05-05, 01:30 PM
Question and a comment. How did the few of you get the Year Trial at Blockbuster Online?

I am in my third month with Blockbuster Online - and have the conspiracy theory thing going. My first month - (the free month) - every disc was shipped - and then received the next day (I'm 40 miles from the distribution spot). My second and third month I've had only two out of 20 movies come on the next day and sometimes waiting for up to 4 days.

Brody

the one year free thing was a result of tampering with the offer URL, and has since been caught and fixed by BB. At least for my account, they changed it to only three months free.

I'm not sure if it's because they've been ticked off by my use of that "offer" or if it's because i've now had the account for over a month, but I have noticed that my shipping times to and from have increased by a day or so each way.

spawndude
07-30-05, 03:10 AM
I cancelled my BB subscription today and didn't get the free month "give us another chance" offer that some people have reported receiving.

I've signed up with Netflix to see if their is an improvement with delivery.

MrBill
01-12-06, 11:31 AM
FWIW, I'm with BBO but am seriously considering giving the Netflix trial membership a go. The reason is that I have so many movies in my BBO queue that seem to perpetually be on "short wait". This is very frustrating since many of these are the first disks of a TV series - I'm one of those anal people who likes to see my shows in order! :)

The 2 free DVD rentals should be a plus with BBO, and considering that the store is about a mile from my home this should be enough to sway my decision. BUT - service at our local BB is so pathetically slow that sometimes it hardly seems worth the effort to use coupons. :(

Both BBO and Netflix have shipping centers in Phoenix (about 100 miles north of my home), so I'd assume that shipping times should be similar . . . but you know what they say about ass-u-me!

Anyway, it's been a while since anyone has posted anything in this thread. Have opinions about BBO and Netflix changed since then?

Thanks, Bill

Dan1boy
01-12-06, 12:26 PM
It's a no-win situation. Both companies pull the same underhanded tactical manuevers. I'm back with Netflix from cancelling BB and now, going into the third month, the slow(er) ship/receive times are beginning again...it's a sad state of affairs.

dablueguy
01-13-06, 05:01 AM
Of course all of you are imagining this problem. -wink-

The more people complain about this the less I hear from the NetFlix apologists who claim that an intentional slowdown is rubbish. Where are you all at????

Mr. Cinema
01-29-06, 11:30 AM
I am thinking of giving Netflix a try again. I haven't used them since I moved, but don't they have a distribution center in North Carolina? If so, I wonder if that would help in my getting dvds sent to me faster and processed quicker when sending them back.

dtcarson
01-29-06, 11:34 AM
I think both Netflix and BBo have a distro in NC. I think one is in Greensboro [NF] and one is in Charlotte [BBO]. I have noticed that it seems like BBO tends to focus more on sending you stuff from your local distro, but NF was better at sending from the top of your queue.

spankasmurf
01-29-06, 02:31 PM
I am thinking of giving Netflix a try again. I haven't used them since I moved, but don't they have a distribution center in North Carolina? If so, I wonder if that would help in my getting dvds sent to me faster and processed quicker when sending them back.

I'm pretty close to the one in Greensboro. Netflix usually receives my DVD the day after I mail it, ships out my next one that same day, and I receive it the day after. Of course, YMMV. I recently had one DVD that was shipped from Oregon? wth?? must not have been a copy at the local distribution center.

Boot
01-29-06, 06:18 PM
I have a Netflix distribution center about 100 miles from me. Since August it's has taken a minimum of three days (and sometimes four days) for them to receive movies from me. Nobody is going to convince me they aren't throttling me. I'm in the process of trying various mailboxes and am dropping them in a differnt town this week just to see what happens. After that trial, if it doesn't change, I'm done with Netflix and am going back to the local B&M. I've also been telling everyone who will listen about my experience.

yashan
01-29-06, 09:21 PM
I recently had one DVD that was shipped from Oregon? wth?? must not have been a copy at the local distribution center.

I'm in ATL and out of the past 4 rentals, 3 came from Seattle. :( It took 4-5 days to get to me and another 4 days to get them back. :( :(

enrage
01-30-06, 10:55 AM
i have the blockbuster movie pass and the blockbuster online (5 at a time) rental plan.
I really like using the movie pass for new releases and bb online for tv series dvds like the xfiles or hard to find dvds. I find that this method works the best for me.
I usually go to my local blockbuster almost everyday. The blockbuster manager was used to seeing me so much she offered me a job. LOL

MrBill
01-30-06, 11:12 AM
i have the blockbuster movie pass and the blockbuster online (5 at a time) rental plan.Interesting, the local BB told me that a customer could have a movie pass or BB Online, but not both! Since I had found the movie pass inadequate for TV series DVD's, I went with the 5-plan with BBO.

enrage
01-30-06, 11:32 AM
Interesting, the local BB told me that a customer could have a movie pass or BB Online, but not both! Since I had found the movie pass inadequate for TV series DVD's, I went with the 5-plan with BBO.

interesting. I signed up for the bb movie pass when it was first introduced. I didn't sign up for the bb online pass until 3-4 months later. that was when i noticed my local bb doesnt carry a big selection of movies.

dtcarson
02-02-06, 03:23 PM
I just got an interesting email from Blockbuster Online:

"As a valued BLOCKBUSTER Online® customer, you're the first to know:

Now you have another choice for your free in-store rentals.

It's up to you. Continue with your two free in-store movie or game rentals monthly. Or, opt for one free in-store movie only rental coupon every week. That's double the in-store value! Your choice. First to know. Only from BLOCKBUSTER Online."

Actually, it's less than the in-store value. Two games, 7.99 + tax x 2 = 17.09 or so. 4 movies, what, 2.99 each, plus tax = 12.79.

I think new or recently-opened accounts are only getting 2 in-store movie rentals, and I'm sure this is 'step one' of a move to eliminating in-store game rentals for everyone. However, my BB's in-store available movie selection is even worse than its game selection, so I think I'll stick with the two coupons.

Oh-ho-ho, I missed something. In order to take advantage of this 'deal', I need to 'upgrade' my account, and pay 17.99/mo instead of 14.99. No thanks.

BigDan
02-02-06, 03:46 PM
My biggest problem recently is receiving the wrong disc with both my Netflix account and my fiancee's Blockbuster account. It's still a relatively small percentage of the discs, but still.

When you start looking for a movie when they receive a discs from you on Monday, watch the disc ship on Tuesday and finally receive it Thursday (my Post Office is terrible, so despite being about 10 miles from a shipping center, it often takes two days for discs to reach me these days) only to see that instead of Veronica Mars: Season 1: Disc 6, you've got Saw (or today, with Blockbuster, we were supposed to be shipped 'Nero Wolfe: Season 2: Disc 3' and instead received 'Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 3: Disc 2').

Though I'm sure that's not a purposeful thing (there's no cost savings for them to ship the wrong disc even though it significantly slows down my receipt of movies), it's very annoying.

EDITED: to note that it was 'Saw' rather than the still-to-be-released 'Saw 2' like I originally said that I mistakenly got the other day.

enrage
02-02-06, 03:49 PM
My biggest problem recently is receiving the wrong disc with both my Netflix account and my fiancee's Blockbuster account. It's still a relatively small percentage of the discs, but still.

When you start looking for a movie when they receive a discs from you on Monday, watch the disc ship on Tuesday and finally receive it Thursday (my Post Office is terrible, so despite being about 10 miles from a shipping center, it often takes two days for discs to reach me these days) only to see that instead of Veronica Mars: Season 1: Disc 6, you've got Saw 2 (or today, with Blockbuster, we were supposed to be shipped 'Nero Wolfe: Season 2: Disc 3' and instead received 'Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 3: Disc 2').

Though I'm sure that's not a purposeful thing (there's no cost savings for them to ship the wrong disc even though it significantly slows down my receipt of movies), it's very annoying.

i know exactly what u mean. when i rented crossroads with ralph machio from bb online they sent me Crossroads with B. Spears.

dtcarson
02-02-06, 03:53 PM
I've only gotten two 'wrong disks' from either NF or BBO. Once I got some movie that was not on my queue, and that i had never heard of. [Netflix]. Once I got disk 6 of a tv series instead of disk 1 [BBO], which was at the top of my queue.
More often, I get things that aren't at the top of my queue. Sometimes I'd rather wait an extra day and get the title I wanted, that I purposefully placed at the top, than get something quicker, that I'm not in the mood to watch [which is why it was number 8, say].

fujishig
02-02-06, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I just got that email for "weekly movie rentals" too. At least they didn't just axe the game rentals, though I know that's coming. I mean, if you're already subscribing to Blockbuster Online, why would you need four in-store rentals a month?

dtcarson
02-02-06, 07:02 PM
Yep, I never really understood that. In 1.5 years of BBO, I have used one coupon on a movie, and that was a 'new release' my B&M had that kept saying Long Wait on BBO. I guess if you're a new release, local renter, they'd be good; but if so, you should have one of the instore plans.
I'd rather them offer it this way than just cut game rentals--when they do that, and raise the price, I'll be back looking at NF.

MrBill
02-02-06, 07:21 PM
I haven't gotten the E-mail yet, but I checked my BBO "My Account" link and saw that I could change to a weekly coupon vs. 2/month. I made the change - if it doesn't work out, or if they change their price structure for the weekly coupon, I'll switch back.

fujishig
02-03-06, 12:40 PM
I'm just curious... why did you change over?

MrBill
02-03-06, 12:45 PM
I'm just curious... why did you change over?52 coupons/year vs. 24 coupons/year at the same price sounded a bit better to me. Additionally, I'm only 3/4 mile from a BB B&M.

enrage
02-03-06, 01:29 PM
Interesting, the local BB told me that a customer could have a movie pass or BB Online, but not both! Since I had found the movie pass inadequate for TV series DVD's, I went with the 5-plan with BBO.

i think your local bb doesn't really know. at my local bb, the manager and assistent manager are aware i have both and they have never said "oh, u can't have both'. If u want both, sign up for both. they can't say otherwise. If anything, send an email to bbonline and tell them what they told you. misinformation alone is costing bb profit Money

fujishig
02-03-06, 01:35 PM
52 coupons/year vs. 24 coupons/year at the same price sounded a bit better to me. Additionally, I'm only 3/4 mile from a BB B&M.

Ah, you're the one that wanted the in-store pass for tv shows, I forgot about that. In that case, I guess it makes sense.

Mr. Cinema
02-06-06, 01:45 PM
I'm trying out Blockbuster now. I'm doing the 2 movies/$14.99 option. the Avia Home Theater setup disc was #2 on my queue and was available now. For some reason, they shipped me 2 movies, but it was my #1 and #3 choices. They skipped the Avia one :(

Does this happen often? Skipping a higher # title?

MrBill
02-06-06, 02:05 PM
For some reason, they shipped me 2 movies, but it was my #1 and #3 choices. They skipped the Avia one :( Does this happen often? Skipping a higher # title?This is from the BB faq's:

Our goal is to ship your movies as quickly as possible in order to meet the expectation of 1 to 3 business days for receipt. We review all "Available Now" titles in your queue, and determine which titles are available for 2-day shipping at your nearest distribution center(s). If the requested title is outside the 2-day shipping window, it will be skipped over for a title further on your list.

This plan is very unsatisfactory IMHO! I have about 80 DVD's in my queue, but they keep skipping over #2 and #3 because of the above reason, even though these 2 DVD's are always available. This means that I may have to delete #4 - #80, wait for #2 and #3, then re-enter all the titles I'd deleted just to get the two I want! This would be a major hassle - hopefully BBO will change this arrangement soon!

BigDan
02-06-06, 02:41 PM
Yeah, in order to get some movies from Blockbuster, I had to delete everything else from my queue before they'd send it. They just skipped over it time and time again for months at a time despite being the first movie in my queue and being listed as "Available Now".

It was a pain in the ass work-around.

Mr. Cinema
02-06-06, 02:47 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to force them to send it by erasing my queue.

I think I'll check my local store first to see if they carry the Avia disc, but I have my doubts.

JCFantasy23
02-07-06, 01:13 AM

Lakeland, FL

I live in Lakeland Florida, and let me tell you the location doesn't matter anymore - in my case anyway. been a member for about 3 years now I'd guess, and this year has been slower than ever. I'm not a high volume renter, either, so I don't get it. I could understand if it was with a few discs, as maybe they were shipping from somewhere else, but for about five months there it was with all movies. It's speeding up a bit but it's aggrivating, as I miss the return MOnday and get a new disc Wedn. Living in the same time should guarantee this anyway for most.

prayformojo
02-08-06, 05:17 PM
Anybody know if the weekly coupons can be used for games. I'd re-start my account if they are, otherwise not as interested.

Mr. Cinema
02-09-06, 09:43 AM
I'm near a local distributor. BBO has one in Charlotte. I sent back Bewitched yesterday and they received it this morning. I know the quick return won't last, but with 4 free movie rentals a month, I don't see myself switching back to Netflix unless BBO completely starts screwing up, which is possible.

I've erased my entire queue with only the Avia disc available. Now they'll be forced to send me that.

Smithers
02-09-06, 12:25 PM
WTF? today BBonline skipped my whole queue and sent me the last dvd in my queue (Bad News Bears).

btw for whole skipping #2 and 3 thing can't you just put pre-releases there so it'll automatically skip those and goes to the next one, or will that not work?

dtcarson
02-09-06, 01:48 PM
The weekly coupons I was offered were good only on movies. I think new subs are limited to movies-only as well.

Queue: That's one of my big peeves. If something is #1 on my queue, I want it. I'll wait a day longer occasionally to get the title I want, rather than shipping number 6.

Mr. Cinema
02-09-06, 02:34 PM
I sent them an email about that issue. They said they were "working on a solution" to it.

BigDan
02-09-06, 02:36 PM
btw for whole skipping #2 and 3 thing can't you just put pre-releases there so it'll automatically skip those and goes to the next one, or will that not work?

No. Because it appears they are skipping specific movies, not just the position in line.

BigDan
02-09-06, 02:38 PM
I've erased my entire queue with only the Avia disc available. Now they'll be forced to send me that.

I had a new thing happen. I deleted all my queue except for one movie. I only had two movies out, so there was a slot available. Blockbuster just didn't send me anything at all. That went on for two days before I gave up on that movie.

enrage
02-09-06, 02:39 PM
i've sent bbonline emails complaining about it. the reps are pretty nice about it and for some reason the title that i want gets pushed through my queue.
Don't try to sound to harsh when sending the email though or you'll get the standard response.

MrBill
02-09-06, 04:28 PM
I deleted all my queue except for one movie. I only had two movies out, so there was a slot available. Blockbuster just didn't send me anything at all.Uh-oh, I don't like the sound of that! I just deleted everything out of my queue, leaving behind 3 "available" movies that have been continuously skipped. Hopefully I won't have the same experience you had, but if so I guess I'll be sending another help message that will probably be answered with another useless "form" message. :(

I wonder why BBO hasn't realized that skipping available titles isn't a good idea - the number of complaints they've been E-mailed should be telling them something!

potnoodlez
02-10-06, 02:25 AM
I had the same problem about skipping titles right before I cancelled. They kept skipping over two titles that were #1 and #2 in my queue for lower titles even though they were supposedly available. So I removed everything but those two titles since I wanted to see them the most. So they didn't send out anything. I immediately cancelled because their service had been awful for me recently.

Mr. Cinema
02-10-06, 07:32 AM
I had a new thing happen. I deleted all my queue except for one movie. I only had two movies out, so there was a slot available. Blockbuster just didn't send me anything at all. That went on for two days before I gave up on that movie.
I'm going to see how it goes for a few days. They should receive my other disc today. I don't want to spend $40 on that Avia disc, so I will wait it out..possibly up to a week.

MrBill
02-10-06, 08:01 AM
I don't want to spend $40 on that Avia disc, so I will wait it out..possibly up to a week.Why not call their customer service (1-866-692-2789) and tell them what's going on? Maybe they can force the Avia to ship. At the very least, you'd be telling a live person that about the hassle you're having to go through just to get an "available now" title!

Mr. Cinema
02-10-06, 10:33 AM
It's not a hassle yet. I've only had a BBO acct for a few days. If it doesn't ship in a week, then I'll complain.

Mr. Cinema
02-10-06, 04:35 PM
They shipped the Avia disc today. :thumbsup:

Now I can add movies back to my queue.

Mr. Cinema
02-23-06, 01:41 PM
Well, when Proof came out last week, it was "available now" and I had it #1 on my list. They skipped over it. 2 days later, it was "short wait".

Today, I cleared my queue and they received both of my movies today that I had sent back. I had Separate Lies #1, Weather Man #2, and Proof #3...which still has the same "short wait" status. The other 2 are available now.

They shipped out Weather Man and Proof today. Very strange. I'm sure Separate Lies is in short supply like Proof is, but to ship out a movie that is short wait over one that is available now is odd.

dtcarson
02-23-06, 04:02 PM
They just shipped me disk 4 from my queue. The other 3 are either Coming Soon or on Wait status.
Hmm...it may be time to do my 'Blockbuster Queue Status' again. When I measured it last year, my queue ranged from 36% to 64% in some wait status.

One thing that bugs me about BBO:
I hate this guy:
http://www.blockbuster.com/Media/images/body/homepage_cf-02.jpg

Shave, and quit acting like some combination of spy, emo artist, and Mr Bean, you dork.

Vipper II
02-24-06, 10:12 AM
I had the same problem about skipping titles right before I cancelled. They kept skipping over two titles that were #1 and #2 in my queue for lower titles even though they were supposedly available. So I removed everything but those two titles since I wanted to see them the most. So they didn't send out anything. I immediately cancelled because their service had been awful for me recently.

Count me as number 3, or whatever number you're up to :).

Netflix has recently been doing something a little...um, not sure how to characterize it. Anyway, I send the movie(s) back and get the email from Netflix, indicating that they received it; however, my queue does not reflect that, as it shows the movies still being out. Sometimes it takes more than an hour for my queue to be updated. Has anyone else encountered this?

Chew
02-24-06, 10:43 AM
If your only concern with Netflix is that it takes an hour for your queue to reflect the movie has been checked in, I'd say you have things pretty good there.

kitkat
02-24-06, 01:51 PM
Anyway, I send the movie(s) back and get the email from Netflix, indicating that they received it; however, my queue does not reflect that, as it shows the movies still being out. Sometimes it takes more than an hour for my queue to be updated. Has anyone else encountered this?

That happens to me all the time and seems to have no relation to how fast they'll ship things out, so I wouldn't worry about it. More then once when they've been extra slow updating my queue to show returns, they wind up showing the newly shipping movie as a forth disc out in the "At Home" section of my queue. (I'm on the three out plan.)

Sidenote: They've been really fast shipping stuff out to me for three weeks in a row now! I can't imagine it will last, but it sure is nice.

Digital Groove
02-25-06, 12:25 AM
I am with Blockbuster.com's rental service. I never got the email saying get 1 free rental a week. I am looking at blockbuster.com right now and I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out here!?!??!?

Mr. Cinema
02-25-06, 10:04 AM
log in, click on my account, and the e-weekly coupons should be at the top. they have the next 4 weeks listed, with the option to print the current coupon.

Digital Groove
02-25-06, 02:30 PM
What's odd, is I don't have that on mine. It just has the 2 monthly e-coupons, and the "print this coupon" in the first box. That's it.

It says I don't have a blockbuster store membership number. I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with the problem?

Mr. Cinema
02-25-06, 03:45 PM
Mine is a new acct. I don't have a store membership.

Some still get 2 coupons per month to use on a movie or game. Mine are only weekly movie coupons.

Grenadier
02-25-06, 05:20 PM
I think the 4 coupons thing is listed as a different plan, for the same price per month. Check under the spot where you change your plan in My Account.

Digital Groove
02-27-06, 05:24 PM
I think the 4 coupons thing is listed as a different plan, for the same price per month. Check under the spot where you change your plan in My Account.

Ahh, thank you. I did find it. Currently the 3 movies out/2 rentals a month is only $14.99 for me. To get the one rental a week is $17.99. I'm very disappointed that it costs extra. When I saw the commerical I assumed it was the same exact price just you had the choice of which free e-coupon deal you wanted. I doubt I'll switch. ahh well.

fujishig
02-27-06, 06:26 PM
Ahh, thank you. I did find it. Currently the 3 movies out/2 rentals a month is only $14.99 for me. To get the one rental a week is $17.99. I'm very disappointed that it costs extra. When I saw the commerical I assumed it was the same exact price just you had the choice of which free e-coupon deal you wanted. I doubt I'll switch. ahh well.

You're on a legacy plan, if you were to sign up again as a new customer, your 3 movies out/2 rentals would be 17.99...

dtcarson
02-27-06, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it's not 'extra', that's the price point they want people on. But for some reason they're not just forcing us to upgrade, they're trying to tempt us.

Dave2000
02-27-06, 10:25 PM
Weird, check this.

They sent me an email about a month ago asking if I wanted to swtich from getting 2 coupons monthly to use either games or movies to getting a 4 coupons (one each week) but only use it on movies. I don't rent games much, so I switched to the one free rental a week. Next thing you know, I still have my monthly coupons to use either on Movies or Games AND the weekly coupons, so that adds up to 6 rentals a month.

I remembered that my monthly subscription is charged around the 24th, checked it just now, and it said I have TWO MONTHS free and my next charge isn't until April.

I've had my membership since last June after the whole Netflix switch to get 3 months for free and a new DVD to keep (Hitch). BBOnline has TAKEN CARE of me :)

EG Williams
03-02-06, 12:20 PM
Question to those that have switched over to the 4 non-game coupon system. Are the coupons applicable to "New Releases" as well as the regular older "favorites". I chose BBO because of those game rental coupons so I could try a game before shelling out $50.00 to buy it. UNfortunately, my local BBuster store is not getting as many new Xbox games for rental as they once did.

Thanks,
EG

Mr. Cinema
03-02-06, 12:59 PM
There are no restrictions. I've used the coupons on the newest releases several times.

Chew
03-09-06, 07:49 AM
I just switched back to Blockbuster a couple weeks ago.

About 6 discs that have been released say "Coming soon" in my queue. Two were released 9 days ago!

What's the deal? Anybody else have this happen?

fantasia
03-09-06, 05:57 PM
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet -- I found this press release in the Blockbuster customer service area (search for "Throttling"):

BLOCKBUSTER ONLINE® DOESN’T THROTTLE CUSTOMERS!

DALLAS – March 2, 2006 -- In response to customer inquiries stemming from media reports about a competing service, BLOCKBUSTER Online® is emphasizing that its online DVD service does not "throttle."

Throttling, a practice that limits the number of movies shipped to heavy online DVD renters, has recently drawn media attention.

"BLOCKBUSTER Online does not throttle. When we say our service offers unlimited rentals, we mean it," said Shane Evangelist, senior vice president and general manager for BLOCKBUSTER Online. "We don’t prioritize our customers’ movie fulfillment based on how often they use our service, and we don’t limit the number of movies a subscriber receives each month. We want our customers to get the full entertainment value that comes from a subscription plan, whether that’s watching 20-plus movies a month or five." Evangelist added.

BLOCKBUSTER Online subscribers can choose from several rental plans, starting as low as $9.99, with the $17.99 three-movie-out plan being the most popular. Movies are sent directly to subscribers’ homes by mail to be viewed at their convenience with no due dates or extended viewing fees.

"Our goal at BLOCKBUSTER Online is to see that our subscribers get their highest ranked movie selections as often as possible," added Evangelist. "Additionally, our subscribers receive one free in-store movie rental each week, so they can watch the DVDs they received through the mail or easily satisfy last-minute movie impulses with a trip to the nearest Blockbuster store."

fujishig
03-09-06, 06:06 PM
On the one hand this could be the strike they need against Netflix. On the other hand, they have to make damned sure they really are not throttling... and I think a lot of us believe they are, at least to a certain extent.

Mr. Cinema
03-09-06, 06:17 PM
I've been using BB online for a month and have been very happy with the service. Especially the weekly free rental coupon, something Netflix can't offer.

The only problem I have is when my highest priority title gets skipped because they don't have a copy at my nearest distribution center and they move down the line until they find one that is. I've had Owning Mahowny in my #1 slot for 2 weeks and it's available now, yet it always gets skipped. Even if I erase the rest of my queue, it just sets there.

I do hope they eventually change this policy. I don't like deleting and adding titles just to get another one sent. Other than this, I'm like the service.

Vipper II
03-10-06, 07:14 AM
The only problem I have is when my highest priority title gets skipped because they don't have a copy at my nearest distribution center and they move down the line until they find one that is. I've had Owning Mahowny in my #1 slot for 2 weeks and it's available now, yet it always gets skipped. Even if I erase the rest of my queue, it just sets there.

I do hope they eventually change this policy. I don't like deleting and adding titles just to get another one sent. Other than this, I'm like the service.

That was my biggest gripe over the 2 months I used Blockbuster; it was the main reason I chose to go back to Netflix. Some shipping issues also contributed - it shouldn't take me 5 days to receive a DVD that was sent from a center 50-60 miles away...more than once, for that matter.

Josh H
03-10-06, 11:46 AM
On the one hand this could be the strike they need against Netflix.

Or hopefully if they actually practice and publicize this Netflix will be forced to stop throttling.

kitkat
03-10-06, 12:27 PM
Or hopefully if they actually practice and publicize this Netflix will be forced to stop throttling.

A few of us Netflixers have already noticed that we haven't been throttled for the last month, month and a half. I think it's been six seeks for me - I'm starting to lose track.

Thanks Blockbuster, or media reports, or whatever's responsible!

Cocosilk
03-17-06, 06:48 AM
According to a post on Engadget, BBO's distro centers are:
Charlotte, NC
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Lansing, MI
Miami, FL
Minneapolis, MN
Flushing, NY
Sacramento, CA
Santa Ana, CA
Seattle, WA
That was of Dec 2004.

Blockbuster's turn-over rate is very poor..despite living in the same city where the nearest DC is, it takes up to several weeks for a disc to be received and checked in by them..I have only been with them for one month, and it will only be one month because their service sucks.

I was with Netflix for three years and even though they throttled me, the turn-over rate was superb...the t/o rate was within one business day if mailed out by Thursday, and their nearest DC from me is in Ft. Lauderdale

fujishig
03-17-06, 11:37 AM
It takes up to several weeks? I hope that's an exaggeration, I've never experienced anything like that before.

dtcarson
03-17-06, 06:11 PM
It might vary by DC, but I've been pretty pleased with BBOs' turnaround. I drop something in my mailbox on Monday or Tuesday and get its replacement Thurs or Friday, sometimes even a day earlier. Sometimes there's a delay of a day ortwo if the stuff at the top of my queue is on Wait, but overall it's been pretty quick.
I have had a few cases of a couple weeks with both BBO and NF, but I chalked it up to intermittent postal service delays.
My main complete, along with many others, is the relatively large percentage of titles on Wait status.

Dan1boy
03-17-06, 06:18 PM
A few of us Netflixers have already noticed that we haven't been throttled for the last month, month and a half. I think it's been six seeks for me - I'm starting to lose track.

Thanks Blockbuster, or media reports, or whatever's responsible!

Totally agree...I've noticed a difference.

John-In-VA
03-18-06, 10:30 AM
I've had Blockbuster for almost a year and it's been nearly flawless for me. Turnaround time is fantastic. Many times I send out a disc on a Monday and have a new one on Wednesday. I watch most new releases as soon as possible and have lots of older stuff to round out my list. Sometimes a new release takes awhile to be available, but generally I get them right away. For example, I have A History of Violence and The Squid and The Whale at my house right now.

kitkat
03-18-06, 02:24 PM
The Squid and The Whale? That's not aupposed to be out 'til 3/21 (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bargain.php).

Cocosilk
03-20-06, 04:50 AM
It takes up to several weeks? I hope that's an exaggeration, I've never experienced anything like that before.

Nope, I'm afraid not..one DVD that was received by me on 3/1 and another that was received by me on 3/3, I mailed both back to them on 3/4...as of last week, I noticed that it was still in my queue..I sent an email to them and they stated that it was received back by them on the 14th, but when I checked the queue on the 16th, the titles were still in the queue..I had to manually remove them by clicking the 'report DVD issues' button.

Again, it shouldn't take two weeks for titles to be received back to them, much less having to go through the tedious task of manually removing them from the list myself every time. Maybe it is the DC that is assigned to me that is inefficient, but I'm not going through the aggravation of dealing with them anymore. Too much headaches.

John-In-VA
03-20-06, 11:43 AM
The Squid and The Whale? That's not aupposed to be out 'til 3/21 (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bargain.php).

I know..that was weird. I sometimes get a Tuesday release sent out on Monday, but yes, that's what I got. I watched it Saturday...good movie by the way.

kitkat
03-20-06, 11:48 AM
I know..that was weird. I sometimes get a Tuesday release sent out on Monday, but yes, that's what I got. I watched it Saturday...good movie by the way.

Good to know. I'm hoping Netflix gets it out to me for tomorrow. :fc: I've been looking forward to that one, and Capote. That's cool that you got to see it a week early.

nemein
03-23-06, 10:12 AM
Well this is something new... I tried reordering something in my BlockBuster Q and everything got dumped, it's now completely empty. I only had about 60 titles in there and maybe overall it's not a bad thing to clear it out once in awhile. I'd rather it be my choice though ;)

Chew
03-23-06, 01:26 PM
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I signed out, signed back in: it was completely there, nothing changed.

nemein
03-23-06, 01:54 PM
Yeah it keeps showing up whenever I do that. If I try to reorder anything though it all goes away again. I guess they tried some sort of upgrade that didn't work out too well (or it's something strange on my computer). So far I've tried it w/ Mozilla, Netscape and Opera all w/ the same result.

Chew
03-23-06, 02:52 PM
How about IE?

nemein
03-23-06, 03:35 PM
:yack: if I must ;)

Same problem & I've tried multiple machines at work. I'll try from home later night and see if I get the same results.

Dan1boy
03-24-06, 12:18 PM
Can anyone here say if Blockbuster has gotten better in terms of throttling (over the past 6 months or so)?

Netflix's service is (for me) at its peak of excellence right now, service wise, but man, I would sure love to get that free instore BB coupon every week as I have a store right down the street...I'm really tempted.

Cocosilk
03-27-06, 08:43 AM
I have also noticed the reordering problems with BB. I tried rearranging my queue and none of the new changes were reflected. I use IE so I thought it was the browser. Despite cleaning out the temp files, cookies,etc. and even using FireFox to try rearranging the queue, the problem still persist. Ugh. BB is a mess. Aside from Netflix and BB, what other online DVD rental companies are there to try?

fujishig
04-05-06, 01:57 PM
So now Netflix is suing Blockbuster.com, trying to shut them down for patent infringement:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060405/bs_nm/media_netflix_blockbuster_dc_5

The first patent, granted in 2003, covers the method by which Netflix customers select and receive a certain number of movies at a time, and return them for more titles.

The second patent, issued on Tuesday, "covers a method for subscription-based online rental that allows subscribers to keep the DVDs they rent for as long as they wish without incurring any late fees, to obtain new DVDs without incurring additional charges and to prioritize and reprioritize their own personal dynamic queue -- of DVDs to be rented," the lawsuit said.

Basically, they're suing them because of the concept of shipping a new movie out when someone returns one, not having late fees, and having a prioritized wishlist.

dtcarson
04-15-06, 10:56 AM
Chronicles of Narnia was showing as Short Wait.
THey shipped it out yesterday, I got the email 11:21 AM yesterday. Got it in today's mail, 1/2 an hour ago. No complaints here.
I'm not a huge speed watcher, most of what I get are tv series which take me a couple days to watch, so I haven't experienced throttling.

Patents; I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds stupid.

souvenir
04-15-06, 04:08 PM
here's an odd one: I signed up for Netflix almost a month ago and I got the first three discs of the tv show "Huff" soon after they were released in March. I had no problems, but I've been waiting on disc 4 for a couple of weeks and it's always been on Very Long Wait for some reason. Now, I check my queue and it's gone altogether from the top spot and been moved to the 'saved' part below the queue with availability as 'unknown.'

Dan1boy
04-17-06, 01:15 PM
here's an odd one: I signed up for Netflix almost a month ago and I got the first three discs of the tv show "Huff" soon after they were released in March. I had no problems, but I've been waiting on disc 4 for a couple of weeks and it's always been on Very Long Wait for some reason. Now, I check my queue and it's gone altogether from the top spot and been moved to the 'saved' part below the queue with availability as 'unknown.'

I saw that too! Anyone on the 'inside' who can offer an explanation?

Weird.

yashan
04-22-06, 11:29 AM
I saw that too! Anyone on the 'inside' who can offer an explanation?

Weird.

That's interesting...

The DVDTalk Review (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20588) lists it as a 4-disc release.

Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000E3L7F0?v=glance), however, says it is only 3-discs.

-confused-

EdTheRipper
04-22-06, 11:02 PM
I just signed up for Blockbuster Online last weekend. So far, so good. I intend to be quick with the rentals so we'll see if they throttle me at all.

M2theAX
04-22-06, 11:24 PM
I read through most of the posts here, and I did not see the answer I was looking for. How do both services offer Series sets? For Example If I wanted to get Season 1 does the whole season count as one rental or is it 1 disc, 1 rental i.e. 3 rentals for one season of an average show?

I am leaning in favor of netflix, 3 discs at a time unlimited.
I am mostly interested in documentarys, being as I would not want to spend money to own them only to watch them once, also I was wondering do subscribers of these services find that there purchases of DVDs have decreased with the ability to rent them? or does it still compel one to physically own the DVD to watch at any time?

Thanks

souvenir
04-22-06, 11:30 PM
I read through most of the posts here, and I did not see the answer I was looking for. How do both services offer Series sets? For Example If I wanted to get Season 1 does the whole season count as one rental or is it 1 disc, 1 rental i.e. 3 rentals for one season of an average show?

1 disc, 1 rental

as for Huff disc 4, it reappeared in my queue with "very long wait" but a couple of days later it was available and they shipped it to me. One other odd thing that happened to me was that I was unable to cancel online. It told me to call a phone number, which I did and was offered two months at half off which I accepted.

kitkat
04-23-06, 01:11 PM
... also I was wondering do subscribers of these services find that there purchases of DVDs have decreased with the ability to rent them? or does it still compel one to physically own the DVD to watch at any time?

I know I buy far fewer DVD's than I would if I didn't rent so many, not that I was such a big time purchaser before. I also occasionally pick up something that I saw first via Netflix. I like having my small (by this board's standards) collection, but renting allows me to see so much more than buying would.

And, as was answered above, 1 disc = 1 rental, with the rare exception of a very long movie split onto two discs (ie, Gangs of New York).

M2theAX
04-23-06, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the info!

I am in the same boat as you kitkat, I have what I think to be a decent collection, but I still want so much more. The reality is I am not going to watch a lot of movies more then once so I do not see the need to own as many. I own around 75, which I know is nothing. But lately I have way more free time then I know what to do with, so I figure netflix will be a good hobby :) I am planning on signing up sometime this week. I am also always up for suggestions on netflix :)

scarredgod
05-01-06, 08:17 PM
im almost done with my free month at blockbuster and i have decided to cancel netflix and stick with blockbuster. BB has been MUCH faster and more reliable and netflix has been throttling me up the butt and sending me DVDs from far far away shipping facilities, another way to throttle.

im sure BB has only been great because i am a new customer but i will stick with them for awhile until things change.

FILMCZY
05-08-06, 05:12 PM
I'm not impressed with BB other than the free weekly coupon. I'm with others who frequently have their top choices continuously bypassed for lower priority dvds. What's the point of a priority queue if BB continually picks the dvds THEY want to send you? They might as well have a random list and go from there. I don't care if it takes an extra day or two as long as I get the dvds I want. I keep receiving emails telling me a "new" BB is on the way. Well, it better be better than what they have now. If not, Netflix will surely shut them down with their recently won patents and better customer service. Also, BB's dvd inventory cannot compare to Netflix. It's time to step up to the online rental plate guys...

FILMCZY
05-08-06, 05:32 PM
Okay...but I'm all outta patience...

Our goal is to ship your movies as quickly as possible in order to meet the expectation of 1 to 3 business days for receipt. We review all "Available Now" titles in your queue, and determine which titles are available for 2-day shipping at your nearest distribution center(s). If the requested title is outside the 2-day shipping window, it will be skipped over for a title further on your list.

We understand this may be frustrating if you are waiting for a specific title that is continuously being skipped. We are currently reviewing this process in order to improve in this area. We appreciate your patience as we do this.

cmleidi
05-08-06, 08:12 PM
Okay...but I'm all outta patience...

We understand this may be frustrating if you are waiting for a specific title that is continuously being skipped. We are currently reviewing this process in order to improve in this area. We appreciate your patience as we do this.

I actually prefer this method to Netflix's. Netflix will take the next available film in your queue, but often won't ship it until the next day (or sometimes two days later). Blockbuster's method allows for receiving more films. It certainly did when I was a member.

dtcarson
05-08-06, 08:19 PM
It's definitely a trade-off: getting the title you want, and possibly waiting a couple days for it to get in stock, or getting a title shipped quickly, but it might be in the top 5 of your queue. I don't mind BBO's method, I manage my queue pretty well and am usually working on one or two tv series and a movie at the same time, so I don't *have* to have certain titles immediately.

sporkyzero
05-09-06, 12:27 AM
I buy far less DVD's because of Netflix. Before, I didn't mind blind buying if the price was right or buying things I wanted to watch only once. Now I only buy things if they have replay value.

Dan1boy
05-09-06, 11:43 AM
im sure BB has only been great because i am a new customer but i will stick with them for awhile until things change.

heh, believe me, things WILL change...count on it! :eyebrow:

RonG617
05-09-06, 06:20 PM
I've been with BB for 4 months now without any major problems. I only have the $9.99 1 out at a time plan. But because they ship on Saturdays I can usually get 2 movies a week, plus I get the in store rental coupon each week, so I can get up to 12 movies a month. For me it is a great deal. Another advantage is that you can report a movie missing within 1 day of it shipping or you sending it back, so if it gets held up, then they will put another one right in the mail stream. Netlfix used to make me wait 3 days before I could report anything and have them ship something out to replace it.

fujishig
05-09-06, 06:25 PM
Blockbuster does tell you to wait 3 days before reporting a movie missing... while they don't enforce it on their website, I'm sure if you abuse their policy, they'll take some kind of action.

cmleidi
05-22-06, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the addresses for NEtflix's distribution centers? They sent me a disc from California, and I want to send it back to my distribution center in Ohio, but I've misplaced the address.

1998Nole
05-22-06, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the addresses for NEtflix's distribution centers? They sent me a disc from California, and I want to send it back to my distribution center in Ohio, but I've misplaced the address.

I don't know how accurate these addresses are but the following site has all most of the distribution center listed. It has 2 listed for Ohio.

http://netflixfan.blogspot.com/2004/01/known-netflix-distribution-centers.html

kitkat
05-23-06, 11:09 AM
You can also send two discs back in one envelope. If that doesn't help you now, you can use it later to hang on to a couple extras for when this happens again.

BTW, some Post Offices actually are able to read the bar codes on the envelopes and send discs back to the "Nearest Netflix Distribution Center". Mine does, but a lot of them don't. As far as I know, the only way to find out if yours does is to try it.

FILMCZY
05-24-06, 05:35 PM
Another day, another dvd not sent from my BB queue. I've had a dvd set in available status for two days at the top of my queue but they won't send it. I like how they "force" you to have dvds in your queue that are available in your shipping area only. Why don't they simply tell me what's available in "my area" and I'll choose from that list instead? BB has a LOT of work to do to catch up with NetFlix.

John-In-VA
05-28-06, 11:08 AM

heh, believe me, things WILL change...count on it! :eyebrow:

I've been with them for year and nothing has changed. I'm getting the same service I got in the beginning. Still have fast shipping/returns and still able to get most new releases right away.

Hobbit1955
05-31-06, 11:50 AM
I had Netflix for a year and was very happy with it. I was getting approx. 14 movies a month. I then heard that Blockbuster was opening up an online warehouse in my area so I switched to BB ($17.99 plan). I was getting about 24 movies a month(plust the 4 in-store coupons). I have 1 day mail service in my town so the turnaround is 3 days.(mail one back on Monday and recieve another on Wednesday. However BB has started slowing the dvd's sent to me. I will mail 2 on Monday. They recieve both on Tuesday morning and only send me one that day and then the other one the following day. I have 150 movies in my queue. Even with the intentional slowdown I still receive over 20 movies a month. Don't forget the 4 in-store rental coupons that BB gives.

In summary; find out where the shipping warehouses are for BB and Netflix and how close they are to you address. If you have one close to you you might try them first. Remember that the BB in-store coupons are a bonus. I use them when a new release is not available.

cmleidi
06-02-06, 01:12 PM
I have always had problems with Netflix. The distribution center is 30 minutes from my home. I would have abandoned NEtflix for good, but I keep receiving Netflix as a gift. I received a 8 out at a time plan as a gift, and it was working fine while I was not renting much. When I began to develop a rhythm, and return films quickly, the service became very slow. Now, discs take two to four days to be checked in. I sent in 2 discs in different envelopes on Tuesday, and they still haven't been received. When discs are received now, 75% of the time they are shipped out the next day, and they are shipped from Hawaii, Texas or California so that it takes five to seven days to receive the disc. This has severely cut down on the discs I receive, and when I complain, the CSR blames it on the post office or tells me this system is best for the customer. When a sadist next gives me a gift membership, I'm going to just give it away. I'm fed up with Netflix.

Josh H
06-02-06, 01:29 PM
Still no problems with Netflix after 3 months. But I'm not a high volume renter either, so I'm probably at little risk of being throttled. Especially now that I'm busy cramming for an exam. Have had my current 3 movies for a week. Finally found time to watch one last night.

UKingdom
06-02-06, 01:47 PM
I recently got an email from netflix asking me to come back.with some new plans...which do you think is the best value? i try to watch them same day and send them back to max out...i think the ones with limits are lame; do you think 2 per month unlimited or 3 per month unlimited is the best value? netflix has better selection than blockbuster but blockbuster i think has a distribution center in dallas so the turnaround might be faster, PLUS you get the in store coupons...

another option is another rental store i like called premiere video which has an amazing selection including films from other countries...$1.75 each movie on tuesday...i usually end up with 4 movies for $7...

i'm tempted to do the 3 unlimited one for the first 3 months and then cancel. during that time i'm sure i could watch most of the movies on my want list.

New Plan!
1 DVD at-a-time (limit 2 per month) - Only $5.99/mo.

Limited Time Offer:
Choose any of the plans below and get up to 20% off your first 3 months!

1 DVD at-a-time (no monthly limit) - Regularly $9.99/mo,
now only $7.99/mo for your first 3 months

2 DVDs at-a-time (limit 4 per month.) - Regularly $11.99/mo,
now only $9.99/mo for your first 3 months

2 DVDs at-a-time (no monthly limit) - Regularly $14.99/mo,
now only $11.99/mo for your first 3 months

3 DVDs at-a-time (no monthly limit) - Regularly $17.99/mo,
now only $14.99/mo for your first 3 months

4 DVDs at-a-time (no monthly limit) - Regularly $23.99/mo,
now only $20.99/mo for your first 3 months

Josh H
06-02-06, 02:33 PM
3 out unlimited is the best value, especially at that price.

OutRun2
06-05-06, 12:15 AM
Hello everyone. Good thread. After reading through all the pages I am still undecided but I think I'll proceed with buying quite a few dvds I consider must haves at DDD when their sale begins, and try netflix for a lot "curiousities" :)

DJ_Longfellow
06-09-06, 07:55 AM
I still enjoy my Blockbuster account.....I still get 2 free GAME rentals in-store, so that is a bonus.

One thing recently...they will NOT ship my Entourage S2 for some reason. It says AVAILABLE NOW, but they have shipped THREE movies that were further down in my queue. They say they ship the movie that is CLOSEST to you...so, if Entourage is not at the local distribution center, they will ship something else...which doesn't really make much sense.

mikehall373
06-23-06, 08:07 PM
Anyone know how I get the e-coupons for movie/game rentals. I stopped my blockbuster account a while ago and when I went to re-activate it, they only offer movie coupons. I really want to rent some 360 games.

dtcarson
06-23-06, 08:52 PM
They don't do the game rentals anymore, it's all the one-movie-a-week coupon. They stopped giving the game rentals to new members a number of months ago, and they asked current members if they wanted 2 game or movie coupons, or 4 movieonly coupons; so the only members who get the game coupons are more long-term members who chose the two coupons [and there's probably not many of us, otherwise I'm sure they'd force us to change as well].

zdzjxh
10-06-06, 06:31 PM
Dear members,
I have been on the phone with BB customer service this morning and sending correspondences with them in regards to their new and "improved" websites. First of all, it is slow as a snail with intermittent web server errors. The BB site has been down for most of the morning. One new and improved feature I hate with this website is that you are not allowed to put the upcoming releases on the top of your Q. They now have a special section for your upcoming releases requests with no guarantee that it will be shipped out top priority. I am serious looking elsewhere for online rental given today's lousy experience. This really sucks!

mishii
10-06-06, 07:18 PM
anybody with Netflix feel like they are getting throttled (the time you return and get new dvds becomes slower if you return them quickly)? I heard they do that. I have been using BB online with no problems. However, today they went to a new system and the site keeps going down. A friend called customer service and he just got the answer, "That's the way it is, with no real apology." It is making me think of changing to Netflix. With Netflix, can you clear your queue yourself if they don't get it after a few days? I know with Blockbuster you can.

Mr. Cinema
10-12-06, 12:04 PM
I restarted my Netflix membership last week. It seems like they are already taking 2-3 days to receive my discs even though I think there's a distribution center very close by. Even the return label lists Raleigh on the address.

EdTheRipper
11-04-06, 06:53 AM
I've had Blockbuster Online since April and Netflix since august. I have to say that of the two, I prefer Netflix. There's a much quicker turn-around time, movies don't just sit at the top of my queue for weeks without being shipped and the website is much more manageable. 9 times out of 10, Blockbuster's site winds up crashing my Firefox. I'm not very impressed with Blockbuster at this point in time.

dablueguy
11-05-06, 04:34 AM
With BB's new deal allowing you to "return" your online rentals to the local store, BB is much better than Netflix. If BB would run their queue like Netflix (actually ship the #1 choice first) and buy more copies of each title, they could put Netflix out of business. I look at it this way, with Netflix I was getting 3 per week on the 3-out plan and forget about most brand new releases due to throttling. In fact, forget about anything I put at #1 in my queue. Regardless of the popularity or age of the release, anything I put first in my queue would mysteriously go to "short wait". If I dropped it down to the bottom it would be available again....why?

With BB I usually get 6 per week and now I can also get 6 out from my local store to go along with it. Even if brand new releases are on wait online, I can use my online returns to go to the store and get the new releases. Unless something drastic happens I won't go back to Netflix.

FILMCZY
11-06-06, 01:44 PM
I returned an on-line rental on Friday and one on Saturday in store. As of 1045am PST on Monday, neither has been received by BBO and no new titles have been set up to ship out. I hope this is only a bug in their system because the US Mail was faster than this.

GatorDeb
11-06-06, 03:19 PM
I returned an on-line rental on Friday and one on Saturday in store. As of 1045am PST on Monday, neither has been received by BBO and no new titles have been set up to ship out. I hope this is only a bug in their system because the US Mail was faster than this.
Read my post in the other BBuster thread that explains how your queue will work.

Oleg23
11-11-06, 12:32 PM
Netflix for me for sure.

kajs
11-16-06, 01:50 PM
Well I signed up for a free trial at Blockbuster using a code that was for someone who recently moved (I got it after my work office moved) and got them sent to my home. Ever since, I've been getting all these "Welcome to the neighborhood" type mailings, even though I've been here for over a year. So I'm pretty sure Blockbuster was the one who sold my info. Not very happy about that, but I do like being able to return them to the store now.

yashan
12-02-06, 06:56 PM
Read my post in the other BBuster thread that explains how your queue will work.

Can you post a link please? Either the search is not working properly or my searching skills are seriously lacking. :) Thanks.

leeta
12-02-06, 09:15 PM
Blockbuster has way too many DVDs with "wait" time on them... and when they do ship they take longer to receive.

Netflix seems to have more copies available and they almost always show up 1 business day after being shipped (and are received that quickly, also).

So Netflix gets my vote.

DVDMagic
12-09-06, 01:22 PM
Never had a major problem with Netflix whatsoever. I think I've only ever had 2 minor "problems" that were promptly taken care of. One was a DVD I returned went missing but wasn't a problem and the other was one of the DVD's from 'The Lone Gunmen' was almost cracked in half. Just went to the website and ordered a replacement and it was here the enxt day.

I've always been impressed with the quick turn around, but considering my nearest wherehouse is probably 30mins from me I guess that's to be expected. I think I've only maybe received 5 DVD's from a different location in the 3 years I've been a member

Thanks to the location I've been able to time it where I can get new releases delievered to me on the actual day of release with 95% success. Due to the fact that they don't ship on Saturdays I know that if I return a movie on Friday or Saturday they will receive it on the Monday and then send out the next title at the top of my queue which is usually a new release.