Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : R1 "House of Flying Daggers" w/ no English dub?

Mike Lowrey
02-17-05, 04:41 PM
Have I read this right that the upcoming R1 "House of Flying Daggers" won't have an English 5.1 track? just English subtitles?

ShagMan
02-17-05, 04:45 PM
well amazon doesn't have any sub/dub details, but DDD confirms what you're stating... Best Buy however lists an english audio track. interesting!

Is missing an english dub a make or break, or a consideration for you? I wouldn't even care, as long as there's a 5.1 chinese audio track.

Rypro 525
02-17-05, 04:55 PM
i wouldnt care either
what was cut btw, since i hear that there were little parts cut out here and htere from the american version. i thought the final fight was pretty violent and bloody as is.

steebo777
02-17-05, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't even care, as long as there's a 5.1 chinese audio track.
Same here man.

DrGerbil
02-17-05, 05:26 PM
Dubs are just a waste of space, as i'd rather see those bits used on the transfer or a DTS track.

eXcentris
02-17-05, 07:08 PM
Not having a dub track bothers you but you qualify fulscreen lovers as "lacking taste and intellect?" :lol:

LorenzoL
02-17-05, 07:15 PM
Have I read this right that the upcoming R1 "House of Flying Daggers" won't have an English 5.1 track? just English subtitles?

Frankly, I'll be glad if they don't.

buckee1
02-17-05, 07:32 PM
<b>eXcentris</b>, you beat me to it! I was just about to say the same exact thing!

TomOpus
02-17-05, 07:33 PM
Since I've only seen it with subs, it'd be strange to hear a dub track.

buckee1
02-17-05, 07:35 PM
I'm with you <b>Lorenzol</b>, I'd prefer the disc W/out a crappy english language dub.
I have both of the R3 (Edko/Starmax) 2 disc SE/LE and am looking forward to seeing what the R1 is going to bring to the table.

OldBoy
02-17-05, 07:37 PM
why in the world would you want an English 5.1 track? it makes as much sense as eating Crunch N Munch n Yankee Stadium!

I guess it is the Full Screen English dubbed for you! :brickwl:

Ahab
02-17-05, 08:12 PM

Well, given the fact that anyone who wants their foreign films dubbed into English has the I.Q. of less than 50, most likely you didn't read it right. -rolleyes-

Just yanking your chain here a little. But it does seem a tad inconsistent for one who is so insistent on watching movies in their OAR to also want their movies dubbed into English. Have you even given subtitles a chance? You are really missing out by not listening to these foreign movies in the language in which they were originally presented.

By the way you can presently get the Starmax 2 disc edition of the movie right now without having to wait for the region 1 release. Just got mine yesterday and had a great time watching it.

Ahab
02-17-05, 08:17 PM
I'm with you <b>Lorenzol</b>, I'd prefer the disc W/out a crappy english language dub.
I have both of the R3 (Edko/Starmax) 2 disc SE/LE and am looking forward to seeing what the R1 is going to bring to the table.

Really enjoyed the Starmax transfer and the packaging. Just wish the extras had also been subbed. I also have the Edko version coming. And, like you, am interested in seeing if the R1 can somehow top these earlier releases.

Defiant1
02-17-05, 09:16 PM
I'd be glad if they didn't have an English audio track. Just a waste of space anyway as far as I'm concerned. Chinese movies in particular usually have bad dubs so I think this news is great.

PopcornTreeCt
02-17-05, 09:28 PM
Not having a dub track bothers you but you qualify fulscreen lovers as "lacking taste and intellect?" :lol:

I have to concur.

rooter
02-17-05, 09:35 PM
God this site is filled with elitists...

Maxflier
02-17-05, 10:15 PM
Have you even given subtitles a chance? You are really missing out by not listening to these foreign movies in the language in which they were originally presented.

I know this isnt likely the case,but why does everyone assume he doesnt watch it with the subtitles on?Just because he wants to hear people speaking english instead of chinese or whatever doesnt mean he isnt reading the subs too in order to get the more "accurate" translation.WTF difference would it make,you cant understand what the f*** they are saying in Chinese anyway.

kingtopher
02-17-05, 10:35 PM
I'm just curious why everyone automatically assumed that Mike was upset that there might not be an english dub on this disc. As far as I can tell, his post was neutral, and if I had to guess, I'd assume he would never watch a foreign movie with a dub and instead was just interested in the factors leading up to that kind of a decision for the studio and what kind of a response that will get from the general public.

marty888
02-17-05, 10:46 PM
I'm just curious why everyone automatically assumed that Mike was upset that there might not be an english dub on this disc. As far as I can tell, his post was neutral, and if I had to guess, I'd assume he would never watch a foreign movie with a dub and instead was just interested in the factors leading up to that kind of a decision for the studio and what kind of a response that will get from the general public.

Considering that most A-list foreign language movies are released on DVD <i>without</i> any dubbed track, it would hardly be worth mentioning unless someone saw it as a matter of concern and/or disappointment.

Josh Z
02-17-05, 11:15 PM
Considering that most A-list foreign language movies are released on DVD <i>without</i> any dubbed track, it would hardly be worth mentioning unless someone saw it as a matter of concern and/or disappointment.

Hero has an English dub, as does Crouching Tiger. Based on that precedent, I'd say it's fair to assume that Flying Daggers might be given one as well.

Cameron
02-17-05, 11:16 PM

and plenty of new members ;)

Who needs a dub....I know how to read....so not me

pro-bassoonist
02-17-05, 11:24 PM
Well, given the fact that anyone who wants their foreign films dubbed into English has the I.Q. of less than 50, most likely you didn't read it right. -rolleyes-

Quite frankly you might be my favorite new member here.

No dubs??....YES, the horror! One has to read.

I sure hope this is a new trend- no dubs, more space for extras, quality transfer, etc.

Regards,
Pro-B

Ahab
02-18-05, 12:00 AM
Quite frankly you might be my favorite new member here.

Well, we certainly we share some aesthetic sensibilities. Saw your post in regards to Kieslowski's Three Color Trilogy. Great movies. And to think, they aren't even dubbed. -smile-

eau
02-18-05, 12:48 AM
Official listing from sonypictures.com:

DVD FEATURES

Commentary with actor Ziyi Zhang and director Zhang Yimou
Creating the Visual Effects featurette
Making of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS featurette
Theme Song 'Lovers' Music Video
Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery
Costumes Gallery
Storyboard Comparisons
Previews
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 (Mandarin, English, French)
Subtitles: English, French
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/catalog/catalogDetail_DVD043396091788.htm

DonnachaOne
02-18-05, 12:59 AM
God this site is filled with elitists...Show respect for a film, you're an elitist. Ask a question that could be taken slightly differently, and you're a philistine.

What a merry society.

Duder
02-18-05, 03:32 AM
WTF difference would it make,you cant understand what the f*** they are saying in Chinese anyway.

Yes, because if you aren't fluent in the language being spoken by the actors on screen, you have no way to appreciate their original vocal performances...

-ohbfrank-

DrGerbil
02-18-05, 03:55 AM
No dubs??....YES, the horror! One has to read.I recall leaving BBV after trading in some movies and overhearing a spouse say, "Oh, wait! This movie is subtitled. That means you have to read words on the bottom of the screen. I don't think we want this, hunny."

These people are not illiterate... only intellectually lazy, elitest, and closed-minded. I'm sure they would accuse me of the same. What a country! :lol:

rexinnih
02-18-05, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=eau]Official listing from sonypictures.com:

DVD FEATURES

Costumes Gallery
Storyboard Comparisons
Previews

No DTS listed. Looks like a Superbit down the road.

Maxflier
02-18-05, 08:23 AM
Yes, because if you aren't fluent in the language being spoken by the actors on screen, you have no way to appreciate their original vocal performances...

-ohbfrank-

Let me guess,you can sense their emotion from the inflection in their voices and stuff right? :rolleyes:

People make a way bigger deal out of this than they should in my opinion.Some people prefer not to have to read a translation of what is being said by the actors,get over it.It's the same with the way people bash the ones who prefer fullscreen over widescreen,if they enjoy watching it in fullscreen then who the hell are you or I to question that?And LMFAO at the people who actually beleive they are more "intelligent or astute" because they watch stuff subtitled.

aw614
02-18-05, 08:45 AM
I'd say having a french track and english is a waste could go to improving image and or sound of the chinese audio

Cameron
02-18-05, 09:49 AM
I'd say having a french track and english is a waste could go to improving image and or sound of the chinese audio

agreed. As far as thinking I am smarter...

All I am saying is people walked out of Crouching Tiger, Passion of the Christ, and more recently hero and house of flying daggers...why, because they had to read....It wasn't a choice like WS vs FS (which has been debated to death) it was the fact that they would not see a film because they would have to read. They didn't think they could follow the picture and the letters at the same time...Kids following the bouncing ball with Big Bird and Elmo can do this...So I would have to say that a five year old kid is as smart as someone who can't read words on a screen.

People have missed way to many great films because they would not read....instead you end up with remakes...Breathless anyone.

fumanstan
02-18-05, 10:02 AM

I agree, he never said that the lack of a dub track would bother him. Some people here are just quick to make these assumptions and jump on these things... :grunt:

Mike Lowrey
02-18-05, 11:54 AM
Hero has an English dub, as does Crouching Tiger. Based on that precedent, I'd say it's fair to assume that Flying Daggers might be given one as well.

As does Warriors of Heaven and Earth, Princess Blade, The Returner, and I believe The Musa Warrior does as well, so I'm a bit surprised that Flying Daggers might not.

I don't mind just watching subs, but I'd like to also have a choice to listen to an English dub if I wanted to. Because you know, sometimes you might be be doing something else and not watching the screen 100% of the time to read the subs, so it's nice to have a track in your native language so that you can understand what's being said without having to watch the screen.

Know what I mean, Vern?

If having a dub that's not the original language is a bad thing, then why should North American-made movies need Spanish, French, Portuguese, or any other language track. Aren't the elitist Euros sophisticated enough to be able to watch a movie in the original English?

Touche to all those pinheads in this thread. :D

PS - Oh yeah...what about watching Spaghetti Westerns in their original Italian tracks? Yeah, nothing like watching a movie that takes place in the American Old West in Italian. -ohbfrank-

Mike Lowrey
02-18-05, 12:08 PM
Official listing from sonypictures.com:

DVD FEATURES

Costumes Gallery
Storyboard Comparisons
Previews

No DTS listed. Looks like a Superbit down the road.

Yep, sounds good. But who needs a French track? ;)

pro-bassoonist
02-18-05, 12:50 PM
Let me guess,you can sense their emotion from the inflection in their voices and stuff right? :rolleyes:

People make a way bigger deal out of this than they should in my opinion.Some people prefer not to have to read a translation of what is being said by the actors,get over it.It's the same with the way people bash the ones who prefer fullscreen over widescreen,if they enjoy watching it in fullscreen then who the hell are you or I to question that?And LMFAO at the people who actually beleive they are more "intelligent or astute" because they watch stuff subtitled.

I agree, I can't watch my stuff without dubs :rolleyes:

Pro-B

Fok
02-18-05, 01:23 PM

-ohbfrank-

I agree and the character emotions come across better as well. Where possible I always try to watch the movie in its original language.

ctyankee
02-18-05, 01:50 PM
I agree and the character emotions come across better as well. Where possible I always try to watch the movie in its original language.

Agreed. I think that what gets some of us going on the subject is people that we come into contact with that make blanket statements like I can't stand subtitles or I don't like old movies or I don't like foreign films etc. etc.

I personally believe that if someone watches four or five films with subtitles that it becomes such a small thing to the viewing experience that it becomes not even worth discussing. Leaving you with a far more enriching experience.

But I think there is a middle ground where the audio experience should not be dictated (by guys like me) to the rest of the viewing public. If someone would like dubbed audio, no problem.

Also keep in mind that that is the way that many of us saw many films. I watched a bunch of martial arts films in the 70's and most of them were dubbed in english, albeit poorly. Should a DVD release of such a film be stripped of its original film presentation? If only for laughs and for memories, I would hope not. ;)

As far as the spaghetti westerns and Italian horror films go, let's remember that "original" language is something of a misomer in that the multinational cast all required dubbing no matter what final language was chosen. For example, in Suspiria I think actors spoke at least four different languages in the film.

pigmode
02-18-05, 02:53 PM
Dubs just don't feel right. I don't think you need to understand the language to be sensitve to an actors intent, and hearing their real voices is a big part of the experience. Then there's the lip-sync issue. Its like watching Whats Up Tiger Lily. I can't even watch a Miyazaki animation in english.

aw614
02-18-05, 04:48 PM
If having a dub that's not the original language is a bad thing, then why should North American-made movies need Spanish, French, Portuguese, or any other language track. Aren't the elitist Euros sophisticated enough to be able to watch a movie in the original English?

-
Its those crazie people from Quebec who want their french -ptth-
Thats the biggest thing I've noticed like with the Hero DVD and other asian movies, with a french dub of all things, but not the original language(ex/ old kung fu movies)

Another solution...just put the dub on 2.0 sound but let the original with the DTS or 5.1. Thats how some of the imported HK movies are that I have. Many Chinese movies do have dubbing in both cantonese and manadarin...

Mike Lowrey
02-18-05, 05:23 PM
Dubs just don't feel right. I don't think you need to understand the language to be sensitve to an actors intent, and hearing their real voices is a big part of the experience. Then there's the lip-sync issue. Its like watching Whats Up Tiger Lily. I can't even watch a Miyazaki animation in english.

Then what's the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese on Chinese films? Aren't those just different dialects? And if so, which one is the correct or "filmed in" language?

Chris Camfield
02-18-05, 05:45 PM
Then what's the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese on Chinese films? Aren't those just different dialects? And if so, which one is the correct or "filmed in" language?

Very, VERY different dialects. Such that Chow Yun Fat and at least some of the other actors having to learn their dialogue for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon phonetically (they weren't fluent in Mandarin) was a big flaw, for mainland Chinese viewers (who speak Mandarin).

As to which is the original language, it depends on the film. I think, for House of Flying Daggers, it was Mandarin, but I'm not sure.

(Factoid for the day: until some time in the 90s(?) the actual practice in Hong Kong was to film movies without audio, and then even for the original language, record the audio in a studio afterwards.)

darqleo
02-18-05, 05:54 PM
"Because I go to the movies to watch them, not read them" ~ some of my lame co-workers

MisterHowie
02-18-05, 05:55 PM

There's nothing elitist about a preferene for watching movies as they were intended to be seen, whether it's the original aspect ratio of the theatrical presentation or the original performance as given by the actor in his/her native language. Dubs are a waste of space - good move by whatever studio is releasing this.

mcarver
02-18-05, 05:59 PM
Not sure about the American version, but the UK had a few nips and tucks:

The UK version is cut by the BBFC by 18 seconds. The cuts were to remove three instances of real animal cruelty (in this case, three horsefalls) which would have fell foul of Animal Cruelty laws in the UK.
- source: IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0385004/alternateversions)

what was cut btw, since i hear that there were little parts cut out here and htere from the american version. i thought the final fight was pretty violent and bloody as is.

Maxflier
02-18-05, 06:24 PM
Dubs are a waste of space - good move by whatever studio is releasing this.

As mentioned above,it is being released with a dub track.In fact it will have 2 dub tracks.

Josh Z
02-18-05, 06:50 PM

Cantonese and Mandarin are not just different dialects. They are completely separate spoken languages that happen to share the same common written language. Someone who speaks only Cantonese will not be able to understand someone who speaks only Mandarin, and vice versa.

House of Flying Daggers is a Mandarin-language film.

Mike Lowrey
02-18-05, 09:10 PM
Not sure about the American version, but the UK had a few nips and tucks:

The UK version is cut by the BBFC by 18 seconds. The cuts were to remove three instances of real animal cruelty (in this case, three horsefalls) which would have fell foul of Animal Cruelty laws in the UK.
- source: IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0385004/alternateversions)

You're kidding? A horse falling is taboo in England?

Squirrel God
02-18-05, 09:42 PM
I don't mind just watching subs, but I'd like to also have a choice to listen to an English dub if I wanted to. Because you know, sometimes you might be be doing something else and not watching the screen 100% of the time to read the subs, so it's nice to have a track in your native language so that you can understand what's being said without having to watch the screen.
Huh? If you're doing something else, then what are you doing trying to watch a film anyway? I don't understand ....

You're kidding? A horse falling is taboo in England?
No, it's that animals are not allowed to be harmed in any way simply for the purpose of a film. You can show a horse falling, but you can't harm a horse by doing so. Hence any scenes where animals have actually been harmed during filmmaking will receive cuts in the UK.

The Abyss had some cuts too for animal cruelty and there are a few other examples.

I just buy another region to avoid the cuts.

BTW, UK = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, not just England :)

Mike Lowrey
02-18-05, 10:35 PM
Huh? If you're doing something else, then what are you doing trying to watch a film anyway? I don't understand ....

My dad says the same thing. ;) Actually I started to edit into that post what I'm about to say. My computer is in the same room as my TV and such, so I'm usually at my computer during a lot of TV and DVD watching so I'm not always "watching" the TV. I just listen to the program more often.

No, it's that animals are not allowed to be harmed in any way simply for the purpose of a film. You can show a horse falling, but you can't harm a horse by doing so. Hence any scenes where animals have actually been harmed during filmmaking will receive cuts in the UK.

Well, don't most programs have a disclaimer in the credits saying that no animals were harmed during the filming of the program?

The Abyss had some cuts too for animal cruelty and there are a few other examples.

Ahh yes, when the water tenticle was cut in half by the closing door. ;)

BTW, UK = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, not just England :)

Yeah whatever... ;) You all look the same to us over here.

Squirrel God
02-18-05, 11:10 PM
Well, don't most programs have a disclaimer in the credits saying that no animals were harmed during the filming of the program?
In UK and US these days, yes. Not in the Far East though.

Having the disclaimer doesn't always mean that the UK censors agree with it either. For example, I think the Abyss had that disclaimer but ...

Ahh yes, when the water tenticle was cut in half by the closing door. ;)

From DVDCompare.net
45 seconds were cut at the request of the British Veterinary Association. The scene where the rat is put into liquid oxygen was reframed and trimmed, as it appears to show an animal in distress.

Yeah whatever... ;) You all look the same to us over here.
It's the same for us with Americans and Canadians. Heck, we even think South America is part of the USA ;)

pro-bassoonist
02-19-05, 12:22 AM
Yep, sounds good. But who needs a French track? ;)

THIS really makes you original.

Pro-B

Duder
02-19-05, 02:10 AM

Just to connect the Mandarin/Cantonese discussion with the (absurd) notion that one needs to be fluent in a language to appreciate an actor speaking it... The movie So Close was filmed in both Cantonese and Mandarin, yet the audio tracks are Cantonese OR Mandarin--meaning each Chinese audio track is half-dubbed. I know at most 4 Chinese words, and yet I'm able to tell when they switch from what was spoken on-set to what was dubbed later, and in all instances, I find that the dubbing distracts from the performance and, to a limited degree, my enjoyment of the movie.

I'm not trying to be elitist, but dubs of live-action movies are, quite frankly, unnecessary. Nice for some, sure, but they aren't essential. If there's room for a dub without affecting the quality of the video, then there's no harm in having one present as an option, but if that dub is also in, say, 5.1 or DTS sound, then I say ditch it. The movie is what's ultimately important, and the dub is not part of the movie itself, nor is it required for the vast majority of people to comprehend the movie. The same goes for video and Original Aspect Ratio.

rdclark
02-19-05, 03:02 AM
I want an English dub. Here's why:

When a movie is made in English, I can focus my full visual attention on the actors' and cinematographers' work.

When a movie has subtitles, some of my attention is diverted to reading them.

So I watch the movie with subs. Then I watch it again dubbed. The second time, I concentrate on the visuals. "Hero" for example is such a gorgeous movie that it's worth watching just as visual art. The dubbed dialog just helps you keep track of the story.

Then I watch it again in the original language. By now I know what's going on and even though I can't understand the words, I grasp enough of the meaning to be able to appreciate the actors' performances better.

However, throughout this process, I keep in mind that neither the subs nor the dubs are likely to be particularly accurate, and that I'm not getting the sort of meaning and nuance that a native speaker would. That's just how it is.

There's nothing "pure" about subtitles. They're better because they don't remove anything from the original movie, but in their own way they're just as likely as dubbed dialogue to be a very dirty filter through which to attempt to find the meaning of a film.

RichC

Mike Lowrey
02-19-05, 01:27 PM
I want an English dub. Here's why:

When a movie is made in English, I can focus my full visual attention on the actors' and cinematographers' work.

So I watch the movie with subs. Then I watch it again dubbed. The second time, I concentrate on the visuals. "Hero" for example is such a gorgeous movie that it's worth watching just as visual art. The dubbed dialog just helps you keep track of the story.

Then I watch it again in the original language. By now I know what's going on and even though I can't understand the words, I grasp enough of the meaning to be able to appreciate the actors' performances better.

However, throughout this process, I keep in mind that neither the subs nor the dubs are likely to be particularly accurate, and that I'm not getting the sort of meaning and nuance that a native speaker would. That's just how it is.

There's nothing "pure" about subtitles. They're better because they don't remove anything from the original movie, but in their own way they're just as likely as dubbed dialogue to be a very dirty filter through which to attempt to find the meaning of a film.

RichC

Well said, and my feelings exactly. I like having an English dub simply for the fact that I can, by choice, watch a movie at least once in a language I can understand rather than having to always read subtitles.

Take for instance Das Boot. Back in the days of VHS, when the only track on the WS version was German, I could deal with it. But with the DVD releases, I can have the luxury of having both, German and English. I can tolerate both.

DVDho78DTS
02-19-05, 02:47 PM
This thread is funny.

I can't even make it through a film that is dubbed. Often times I'll turn on the subtitles for an American film, like After Hours recently, if I feel I'll enjoy the film more with them on. I did this as well with the LOTR films since I had no knowledge of anything LOTR related before viewing. The names and places were much easier to grasp and associate with the subtitles on.

BizRodian
02-19-05, 03:47 PM
Yeah, some people just read differently than others I guess. I often will watch a film and then the next day not remember what language it was in. The subtitles just get read, they don't effect me watching the film at all, to the point where I can't recall if I read them or not.

Duder
02-19-05, 09:03 PM
The names and places were much easier to grasp and associate with the subtitles on.

While I haven't done this with LOTR, I'm an avid anime watcher, and I know what you mean--sometimes, particularly with proper names, it's a lot easier to comprehend something you see as well as hear.

matome
02-19-05, 09:40 PM
Wanna hear an English dub that totally ruins a film? <i>La Femme Nikita.</i> And they gave THAT track the 5.1 on the original DVD while the French track got watered down Pro Logic. -ohbfrank- Of course, they guaranteed a double dip sale by putting the 5.1 track for the French on the subsequent SE. Smart move on MGM's part.

dmpre99
02-20-05, 12:24 AM
actually some dubs to me are neccessary like kung fu movies. With english dub it makes it so entertaining!!

tinlunlau
02-20-05, 02:43 AM
Cantonese and Mandarin are not just different dialects. They are completely separate spoken languages that happen to share the same common written language. Someone who speaks only Cantonese will not be able to understand someone who speaks only Mandarin, and vice versa.

House of Flying Daggers is a Mandarin-language film.

not exactly....some people are able to understand each other. spoken-wise, they sound different. however, there is always the issue of slangs. I, myself, have a hard time trying to understand Shanghainese people. (i am a native cantonese speaker)

speaking of which, there is a cantonese dub of "House of Flying Daggers" featuring the real voice of Andy Lau himself. Wished Columbia coulda included that dub. he was mostly dubbed over by another voice for the majority of the film in the original mandarin version of the film, a fact which is stated by Zhang Yimou. I think the only reason that the US version is worth a purchase is for Zhang Yimou and Zhang Ziyi's commentary track. I'm a little disappointed that there will, most likely, be no inclusions of Chinese subtitles on the US disc. I normally watch Mandarin language films with the Chinese subtitles on. I was quite annoyed when I had to watch it with only English subtitles on the big screen back in September (for the Toronto Filmfest).

Josh Z
02-20-05, 07:49 PM

Learn to read faster, then you can look back up at the screen when you've finished a line.

rdclark
02-20-05, 10:02 PM
Learn to read faster, then you can look back up at the screen when you've finished a line.

So I guess it's OK to insult people if you work here, eh?

If you want to have a speed-reading contest, Mr. Zyber, bring it on.

RichC

Duder
02-20-05, 11:41 PM
I don't think that was an insult. Being able to speed-read subtitles is a big part of the foreign film experience. I'm not a fast reader in general, but I've gotten good, through practice, at skimming through subtitles. My eyes don't pass over every word, but rather dart down and then back up; that way my eyes can watch the action on the screen as my brain interprets what my eyes just read at the bottom. You get better at this the more subtitled stuff you watch. Eventually you're not even aware that you're reading.

rdclark
02-21-05, 12:50 AM
That's not the point. My point is that Mr. Zyber apparently presumes to believe that his priorities when appreciating a film are more worthy than mine, and that I could appreciate a film as he thinks I should if only I could read faster.

Since he has no idea how fast I can read, it's difficult to take his comment as anything other than an arrogant put-down.

If he was trying to be funny, he forgot the smiley.

For the record, I can speed-read subtitles (and any other text) faster than anyone I know. My reading comprehension is also good -- better, apparently, than that of anyone who would read my original comment and not understand the difference between "full attention" and something less than "full attention."

RichC

tinlunlau
02-21-05, 07:12 AM
i'm still upset about the exclusion of chinese subtitles on the R1 disc.
:(