Reload this Page >

Treasures From the American Film Archives re-release? May 2005

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-17-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a re-hash with a price tag thirty dollars less....I think someone said they were doing this.

From Davis DVD

Treasures From the American Film Archives

For the first time ever, America's film archives are joining forces to release their most exciting unseen treasures onto DVD. Image Entertainment will release Treasures From the American Film Archives, a four-disc set featuring fifty films meticulously preserved by eighteen of the nation's premiere archives, including the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian, the Museum of Modern Art, George Eastman House, UCLA, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Films include: Groucho Marx's home movies (1933, 2 min.), D.W. Griffith's "The Lonedale Operator" (1911, 17 min.), the earliest film version of "Snow White" (1916, 63 min.), "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1928, 13 min.), "Negro Leagues Baseball" (1946, 8 min.), "The Autobiography of a Jeep" (1943, 10 min.), Joseph Cornell's found footage film "Rose Hobart" (1936, 19 min.), "Returning on the Zeppelin Hindenburg" (1936, 7 min.), the early 2-color Technicolor feature "The Toll of the Sea" (1922, 54 min.), the William S. Hart western "Hell's Hinges" (1916, 64 min.), the first commercially-shown U.S. film "Blacksmithing Scene" (1893, 1 min.), plus silent features, documentaries and newsreels, avant-garde shorts, early animation and special effects films, home movies, and much more. Visit filmpreservation.org for a complete listing of all films included. The set is rounded out with four booklets, newly recorded scores, over 300 interactive screens about the films and essays. Retail is $69.99.
Old 02-17-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great set - and the second one (More Treasures...) is just as good.
Old 04-06-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from the bits

The Digital Bits: Insider's Guide to DVD - available at Amazon and bookstores everywhere!

MY TWO CENTS - 4/6/05 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

We wanted to take a moment to remind you all that an out-of-print title is returning to DVD soon - one that we feel is well worth your attention. Image Entertainment and the National Film Preservation Foundation will be re-issuing the original, 4-disc Treasures from American Film Archives box set on 5/10 in a new "Encore Edition". The set includes 50 rare films of historical value from 1893 to 1985. After it was originally released in 2000 and subsequently went out of print, the title was in such demand that copies were fetching steep prices on eBay. Now you'll be able to get it again for its original SRP of $69.95. Click here for more information on this set, and its acclaimed follow-up, More Treasures from American Film Archives. Net proceeds from the sale of both sets are used to support further film preservation efforts.
Old 04-06-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
I wonder if the cases will be changed to match the "More Treasures..." set.
Old 04-07-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news!
Old 04-07-05, 02:19 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
from the bits

MY TWO CENTS - 4/6/05 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

<snip>

Now you'll be able to get it again for its original SRP of $69.95.
This is incorrect. The original MSRP was $99.95. They've lowered the price by $30. I doubt that they will include the book that was in the first set though. I'll should have a review of the new edition in Silent DVD before it is released.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/silentdvd/index.html
Old 04-07-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am curious about the packaging for this 'new' edition. If it's in keepcases, I may actually consider re-buying it (the original packaging was too flimsy). However, the lack of a book would definitely be a deal breaker.

I'll just wait for the reviews, I guess. Regardless, this is a must-have for fans of film/film history. This was a FANTASTIC release. The fact that a portion of your purchase goes to support www.filmpreservation.org is just frosting on the cake.