Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Palau **Season Premiere Tonight!** 2/17/05

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Palau **Season Premiere Tonight!** 2/17/05

Twenty Americans are stranded in Palau, the South Pacific paradise some call the 8th natural wonder of the world, where colorful wildlife, dense jungles and an underwater world beyond belief are haunted by the wreckage and remnants of World War II. From the beginning, the game will be changed in a dramatic way: everything the Survivors have come to expect will be wiped out in the first 10 minutes. Who will outwit, outplay, and outlast all others in Palau? Get to know the new Survivors now, and don't miss a single episode of SURVIVOR: PALAU, premiering Thursday, February 17 at 8 pm ET/PT, only on CBS.
Old 02-17-05, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we know if it is guys against the girls again?
Old 02-17-05, 09:06 AM

No, it isn't.

This is sounding like a good season.
Old 02-17-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Spoiler from the preview:

Spoiler:
Three castaways go home the first night.

Interesting.
Old 02-17-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Spoiler from the preview:

Spoiler:
Three castaways go home the first night.

Interesting.
Spoiler:
Apparently, when the cast first arrives on the island they are split into groups of two. These groups search for the two camps The group that arrives at camp last is immeadiately booted.

I'm not really sure if I like this idea because two of the more interesting (and/or hot) people could be off the show in the first ten minutes. We'll see.
Old 02-17-05, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Already? Sheeeeeit.
Old 02-17-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Probst Predicts a 'Brutal' Season of Firsts on 'Survivor'
(Wednesday, February 16 02:11 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

Spoiler:
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) With its "vote-off-the-strong-first" strategy and its easily toppled women's alliance, "Survivor: Vanuatu" failed to stir up much passion among the fans of the long-running CBS reality show. Even host Jeff Probst has difficulty mustering up any enthusiasm for the tepid season, damning the cast as the most "normal" in "Survivor" history.

"There's several of those people that you'd invite to your barbeque and you'd never known they'd been on 'Survivor' if you didn't know them, because they're schoolteachers or they're husbands or whatever," He explains. "As a result, we didn't have any standout characters."

While "Vanuatu" failed to deliver much drama before its emotionally raw final Tribal Council, things start off with a major shocker in the first episode of "Survivor: Palau," which premieres on Thursday, Feb. 17 on CBS. For the first time in the show's 10-season history, the contestants -- 20 this time, the most ever -- are just dumped at their destination, denied even basic supplies, or instructions.

"We've done the physical part where we give them nothing," Probst says. "We started that with All-Stars. What we haven't done is give them no information. Almost always we give them a little bit, we'll say, 'Here's the lay of the land, here's Tribe A and here's Tribe B, here's a map to water, here's this.' This time, I literally show up and say, 'There's your beach. Have a good time.'"

The contestants don't know whether they're playing as one team, as 20 individual groups or as two or three teams whose identities haven't been revealed yet. They don't know if their beach is a temporary home or if they should begin establishing residence. They also don't know when Tribal Council is, or how many people will be voted off. In fact, Probst can reveal that within the first hour, three players are eliminated from the game. Two of the castaways, in fact, won't even make it to the first elimination challenge. After making it through interviews and the show's lengthy screening process, two of the Final 20, won't even get to play the game.

"It's a brutal, brutal beginning to this season," he says.

Prone to giving out the most cryptic of hints, Probst warns viewers to expect a catfight in an early episode and to enjoy some of the best underwater photography in the show's run. He notes that this was the tallest "Survivor" cast yet and that the season's record number of competing attorneys produces a unique dynamic.

After last season's half-hearted attempt to include the Vanuatu natives in the show's challenges and rewards, "Palau" will integrate a bellicose element torn from Palau's war-damaged past.

"You cannot go to Palau and not see the remnants of World War II, because they're everywhere," says Probst of the sunken ships just below the ocean's surface and the wrecked Japanese planes in the jungles. "You don't have to look. We didn't have to do a ton of set dressing."

Without giving any kind of specifics, Probst also says that he tried to inject undercurrent of "choice" into the season's activities, forcing the players to make more game-breaking decisions than usual, though he admits that most viewers probably won't notice the change.

"More things happen for the first time this season than have ever happened before," promises Probst, nebulously. "That's what struck me as the season went on and on. I'd make my little notes and think, 'Wow, never happened before ...' Some of them are twists. Some of them are things that happened organically in reality. Some of things that happen as a result of challenges. There are more things that you've never seen before this season."
Old 02-17-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by automator
Spoiler:
Apparently, when the cast first arrives on the island they are split into groups of two. These groups search for the two camps The group that arrives at camp last is immeadiately booted.
Spoiler:
I read that the first man and woman to get to shore get immunity. From there, they pick teams and the last two to get picked are eliminated.
Old 02-17-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder who the tall guy is, and how tall he is?
Old 02-17-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieking
Spoiler:
I read that the first man and woman to get to shore get immunity. From there, they pick teams and the last two to get picked are eliminated.
That sounds cool too. Brutal, but cool. I guess we'll find out tonight.
Old 02-17-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Reading all that makes me want to go to Palau.
Old 02-17-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Certainly not reading any spoilers. Man, I hope this season is good. Remember folks, Survivor is an investment: You're really just waiting until the merge for when things really get cooking.
Old 02-17-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing but rumors (and conflicting rumors at that!) in movieking and my spoilerized posts. You get more info watching the commercials.
Old 02-17-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So we get one hour to get to know 20 people. They really need to make the first episode two hours.
Old 02-17-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
1 hours or 2, it wouldn't make a difference. It usually takes me at least half the season to remember the names of everyone who is left.
Old 02-17-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I wonder who the tall guy is, and how tall he is?
there was a preview on the tvguide channel. Ian something mentioned that he is 6 feet 8 inches tall. I'll tune in for the first couple of episodes to see though I never stick with this show once my favorites are booted.
Old 02-17-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
Actually, the other rumor to the start of the game is:

Spoiler:

10 tens of 2 people are created randomly, and the last team to arrive at their destination (each team will be given a map, a la The Amazing Race twist, and have to make their way to their destination) will be given the boot, which then cuts the field to 18 players, and then the 3rd person who gets the boot is cut at tribal council for the losing tribe.
Old 02-17-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It usually takes me at least half the season to remember the names of everyone who is left.
Same here. Except for last season. They were so bland, I never really did learn who everyone was. In fact, I'm not exactly sure I remember who even won. I think the final show sat on the Tivo for a week or so before we ever watched it.
Old 02-17-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead
there was a preview on the tvguide channel. Ian something mentioned that he is 6 feet 8 inches tall. I'll tune in for the first couple of episodes to see though I never stick with this show once my favorites are booted.
Wasn't Mitchell really tall?
Old 02-17-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Patman & automator both said the same thing, so I will defer to their spoilers as probably being correct and mine is not. We won't have to wait very long to know for sure.
Old 02-17-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I don't care for the way they get rid of the first 2 people this season.It has to be pretty embarassing for them to not get picked.Just leave it at 18 castaways and let the people get voted off like it should be.

ps:Stephanie is hot!
Old 02-17-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is one of those tribes named oolong?

Some pretty interesting stuff so far!

Last edited by nevermind; 02-19-05 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty good premiere.

What was up with that dude (I think it was James?) who was expecting breakfast instead of the start of the game.

Wacky Wanda was exactly like one of my elementary school teachers.

Hope the tribe finds their trunk of flint.

Last edited by BlackCapTen; 02-17-05 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like my rumor was wrong, but I liked it better than how it played out tonight.

I can't believe James the redneck is from my hometown, it's almost embarassing to listen to him talk. Geez...

Spoiler:
The crazy song lady was an easy target to be left behind in the first boot-off, while John was just a little too over-eager to jump ship.

You also knew that Jolanda's big mouth and bossiness sealed her fate.
Old 02-17-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Patman & automator both said the same thing, so I will defer to their spoilers as probably being correct and mine is not. We won't have to wait very long to know for sure.
We stand corrected.

Good premiere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.