Reload this Page >

Anyone have "Degrassi Junior High" S1?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-16-05, 11:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

(not 'The Next Generation') And can comment on the picture and audio, any extras, how the DVD set is as a whole and if it holds up now. Also, I couldn't find any reviews, perhaps some Canadian site, but I haven't found it.

This was one of my favs growing up and want to know if it is worth it. Usually, I don't do the TV sets thing and they just keep going, but may consider.

Thanks for helpful comments on all...
Old 02-16-05, 07:41 PM

nobody has this?
Old 02-16-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope, but i plan to sometime. just prioritizing and seem to be spending money on other dvds at the moment. too bad Columbia House doesn't carry this. I would've had it by now.
Old 02-16-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got it...Picked it up at right when future shop opened on release day. As far as it goes, I'm just happy it's degrassi. Picture isn't very good, but the show was always kind of shitty and grainy looking with a real lack of vibrant color. The sound's dolby 2.0 and is decent for what it is. There's three discs and each disc has a twenty minute segment of 'degrassi talks' (which by the way has a so-lame-it's funny theme song sung by kathleen and some other guy) where the members of the cast would go talk to teens about teen problems...The three segments are on drugs, sexuality, and teen sex..they've also got some teaching materials i havent checked out and wallpapers for your comp...there's 13 episodes all together... all in all, it's pretty much what i expected as far as the quality not being that great, but I'm such a huge fan (being canadian and all) i had to have it...if this show is one of your favs, you won't be let down or anything..
Old 02-16-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone on amazon says that the public tv station thats releasing the dvds in the states are edited versions from the original canadian versions due to certain topics the american censors didn't like
Old 02-17-05, 03:32 AM

someone on amazon says that the public tv station thats releasing the dvds in the states are edited versions from the original canadian versions due to certain topics the american censors didn't like
According to this site, only parts of the first two episodes of Season Four were cut by PBS. The site also mentions that PBS aired the full 30 minutes of each episode, while CBC shortened them to 22 minutes to fit in commercials.

I'm lovin' the DVDs. The picture quality ain't great, but for some reason I remember it that way. Like a fuzzy memory from childhood. Each episode is as good as I remembered them. The acting and dialogue oozes with 80s cheese but it grows on you like a fungus. The subject matter is obviously not as shocking today as it was 15 years ago, but it's dealt with realistically and head on. The consequences are shown, which is what separates it from most teen shows, even today. Kids suffer on Degrassi.

This DVD is essential if you loved the 80s (I liken it to "Sixteen Candles" and "Fast Times in Ridgemont High" - the gritty parts, at least). Fans of the show should already have this, while the curious should give this classic show a try.

Only negatives: sub-par pic quality, no scene selection, no subtitles (use TV captions), it's only 13 episodes per season (you'll want more!)

Last edited by happyblue; 02-17-05 at 02:48 PM. Reason: fact checking
Old 02-17-05, 08:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by happyblue
According to this site, only parts of the first two episodes of Season Two were cut by PBS. The site also mentions that PBS aired the full 30 minutes of each episode, while CBC shortened them to 22 minutes to fit in commercials.
so... I'm a tad confused here, all the episodes on the DVD are the 30 minute versions, right?
Old 02-17-05, 12:15 PM

Yes, since it is released by PBS.

Last edited by happyblue; 02-17-05 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 12:29 PM

degrassi quality

Im a big degrassi fan going way back and am impressed with the dvds.
The biggest factor being Degrassi Talks which were aired after the high school era shows ended.

Caitlin and Tim sing the theme song, and though its cheesy.. Caitlin at least has a good voice.

Its really dated, and a fine time capsule of how teens looked in 1991.

I borrowed Degrassi talks from the toronto public library and couldnt dub them due to the damage done by years of lending.. so Im excited to have them on dvd.

The episodes look as good as they did on CBC/Showcase, so what do you expect. I never watched the original PBS versions because I didnt have access to them.. but have the entire series run on tape.. and downloaded them all last summer. It will be interesting to do a comparison between pbs and cbc versions.

The menu's are pretty simple, and no chapter stops in the episodes kinda bites. But its Degrassi, and thankfully due to the success of "the next generation" we are getting the originals on dvd!

my site:

http://www.fu-manchu.com/morbidaj/degrassi/
Old 02-17-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

"You got a weird thing for Canadian melodrama.

I got a weird thing for girls who say, "Aboot." "
Old 02-17-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz

"You got a weird thing for Canadian melodrama.

I got a weird thing for girls who say, "Aboot." "

how long did the show run?
Old 02-17-05, 08:03 PM

Degrassi Junior High (1987-89) - 3 seasons, 42 episodes
Degrassi High (1989-91) - 2 seasons, 28 episodes.
Degrassi School's Out (1992) - movie
Old 02-17-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm currently in the middle of The Dead Zone S1 & King of Queens S1, but I've been dying to crack this set open and violate my non-interruptus TV on DVD viewing schedule.
Old 02-18-05, 03:15 AM

I have two more episodes to go. Just finished the episode which centered on Spike and Shane. I welled up. I haven't been moved this much by a TV show in long time.
Old 02-18-05, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by happyblue
I have two more episodes to go. Just finished the episode which centered on Spike and Shane. I welled up. I haven't been moved this much by a TV show in long time.
When might we hear news on the other seasons? That is the thing that prevents me from buying tv sets..so many damn seasons and so costly, but these are only a few and not too bad and i always yearned to watch the show when i could find it on PBS.
Old 02-18-05, 08:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
wasn't there a show before 'Degrassi Jr. High'
Old 02-18-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
wasn't there a show before 'Degrassi Jr. High'
I'm pretty sure there was, I vaugely remember it being called "the Kids of Degrassi Street" or something to that effect.
Old 02-18-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I'm pretty sure there was, I vaugely remember it being called "the Kids of Degrassi Street" or something to that effect.
Yes, that was the name.
I believe that the character of Wheels was the only one in that show that moved to the latter series. However, I'm no expert on all thing Degrassi.