Reload this Page >

Nausicaa on DVD... Questions..

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-14-05, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question about this supposedly eagerly awaited title.

If I'm not mistaken, this movie came out back in 1984 under the name "Warriors of the Wind" in the US, as a badly editted version too I might add.

OK, back in the days (read: late '80s) when I was taping everything and anything off of HBO (the only pay channel we had then) I recorded what I thought was "Warriors of the Wind", and I remember enjoying it as it was a really wierd anime.

Well, here's the question... what I remember from the movie is that is was a post-apocalyptic story that had these strange balloon-type aircraft and stuff, along with some strange city dwellings in sort of a hive of such. But what I don't remember was this plot thing with these exotic bugs or something, which makes me think that Nausicaa isn't the movie I'm thinking of.

So is this the same movie I'm thinking of, or isn't it?

PS- I tried looking for my old VHS recording of it to check for the title, but couldn't find it, nor my log book (what I kept my movie list in...way before DVDAficionado, if you know what I mean...)
Old 02-14-05, 01:35 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sounds right, although I think it was the singular "Warrior". I have the VHS around somewhere, too, but I don't remember the editing being that bad. Your description matches my recollection, since the story is a post-eco-disaster fable.
Old 02-14-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the R3 dvd of this film, I don't know how the version you saw was edited but the bugs are definitely a major part of the plot and it is indeed Nausicaa.
Old 02-14-05, 03:20 PM

Look here http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/vid.../#e_vhs_disney

For info on past releases of Nausicaa. They cut a lot of the movie for the Warriors of the Wind but yes it is the "same" movie. If you liked it I suggest you get the new DVD version.
Old 02-14-05, 05:27 PM

I'm probably wrong but, to me, your description sounds more like Laputa(Castle in the Sky) than Nausicaa.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/laputa/synopsis/
Old 02-14-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by thunnus
I'm probably wrong but, to me, your description sounds more like Laputa(Castle in the Sky) than Nausicaa.
No bugs in Castle in the Sky.
Old 02-14-05, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
No bugs in Castle in the Sky.
Yes and that's one of the reasons why I thought he might be thinking of Laputa. Read the original post please.
Old 02-14-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From IMDB:

Also Known As:
Kaze no tani no Nausicaa
Nausicaä
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds (USA)
Warriors of the Wind (USA)
MPAA: Rated PG for violence. (edited version)
Runtime: 116 min / USA:84 min
Old 02-14-05, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thunnus

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/laputa/synopsis/
No, I'm sure it's not that. I distinctly remember the "of the Wind" or "Warriors" part of the title, I can't remember which, so I'm pretty sure that this Nausicaa is the movie I'm thinking of. I just don't remember the bugs part of it.

I haven't seen the film for almost 20 years or so. So my memory is definately not accurate on the details here...I just remember these big air ships of some sort.

I guess I may buy this Nausicaa disc, because I actually looked for this title a while back on IMDb with no success because I didn't have a clue what it was called. But the US title for Nausicaa rang a bell when I read it.
Old 02-15-05, 02:23 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A better, literal translation of "Kaze no Tani no Naushika" is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

Kaze = Wind
no = 's
Tani = Valley

It goes...Wind's Valley's Nausicaä
Old 02-15-05, 03:43 AM

the nausicaa original negative was resotred sometime in the 90s, and shown in america at festivals... the cut is much longer than the original USA (and UK) release called "warriors of the wind"... yes a major part of the story is about giant bugs, and miyazaki films mostly if not always contain the theme of flying in them...

i highly recommend seeing not only this cut of the film, but this dvd... i bought the R2J in november 03 when it came out and its a truly astonishing experience.
Old 02-15-05, 11:13 AM

Legend of the Battle of Windaria
maybe?...
Old 02-15-05, 12:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
A better, literal translation of "Kaze no Tani no Naushika" is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

Kaze = Wind
no = 's
Tani = Valley

It goes...Wind's Valley's Nausicaä

also confusing since I have also seen the title translated as:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/nausicaa/
Old 02-15-05, 12:49 PM
Banned

Well, I guess I'll pick this up then. I used to watch my recorded copy of Warriors of the Wind from time to time because it was a pretty cool story, although butchered.