Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Projector should I buy?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-14-05, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to buy a projector in the next month and I am currently looking at the Sharp XV Z2000 and the XV Z10000. Anyone own either of these or have some insight?

I have never seen the XV Z2000, but I have seen the XV Z10000. I want DLP and this will go in a Media Room with complete control over the lighting.

The best price I have seen on Z2000 is $3000 and $5300 for the Z10000. Is it worth the extra cash for the better projector? Will I notice a difference in quality?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 02-14-05, 10:16 AM

I have the Z2000. No complaints: quiet, bright, easy to use, HDMI input, HD ready.
Old 02-14-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the XVZ10000 in my theater. I have not seen the Z2000. I have had my 10K running since June of 2003 and have not had any problems. You can see the projector in my theater by following the link in my sig.

I project from ~13 ft onto a 100" Dalite HCCV 16x9 screen. I have and continue to be very pleased and satisfied with this projector on aq variety of signal sources including dvd, HDTV, Laserdisc and DVD recorder material.

The projector was easy to setup and configure.

If I had any complaints at all, the fan noise is noticeable during very, very quiet portions of films.

Ask any other questions you may have and good luck!
Old 02-15-05, 07:18 AM

Brian Shannon: how noticable is the fan noise? This is something I did not consider. And during the course of a normal movie can you hear it? My room is 17' and I was thinking of going with about 105'' to 110'' screen. Do yo see any issues there? 100'' screen good at 13'? Any regrets on screen size?

medavidson: How big of a screen and what is the size of the room?
Old 02-15-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The fan noise is noticeable during very quiet parts of films. If I don't think about it I usually do not even hear it. I would not consider it a deal killer but all projectors have some type of fan. Some people build a hush box to house their projector to lessen it.

I like my screen size and I have no regrets. If I went to a 106" I would have been much closer to my left and right speakers.