Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Sting: Bring On The Night" DVD on the way!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-14-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good news from stingus.net!

http://www.stingus.net/nieuwsuk_comm...id=388_0_2_0_C

Sat Feb 12 2005 | BRING ON THE NIGHT APPEARS OFFICIALLY ON DVD
Bring on the Night is to be released on DVD, and will come out on March 29. Directed by Michael Apted, the movie centers around Sting's solo debut lp, "The Dream of the Blue Turtles". "Bring on the Night" provides the viewer with a rare behind-the-scenes glimpse of the band at work.
Old 02-14-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrific news - my VHS copy is exhausted!
Old 02-14-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts
Awesome! Was very high on my most-wanted list. Will definately get that one hext month.
Old 02-14-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts
Cool, I have bid on the laserdisc a few times, and had a SVHS copy of the laserdisc that I have watched a bunch, but will def buy this!
Old 02-14-05, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there more songs on the DVD than on the album? Some of the best "Blue Turtles" songs were never on the album.
Old 02-14-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as we get 5.1 or DTS, I'm happy.
Old 02-14-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
Are there more songs on the DVD than on the album? Some of the best "Blue Turtles" songs were never on the album.
I recall "Shadows In The Rain" and an acoustic version of "Message In A Bottle" also on the video, which aren't on the cds.. Not sure if there's more. Maybe someone who's seen it in the past 5-10 years can help more.
Old 02-14-05, 01:13 PM

I'm excited about this title too. An obvious song that's not on the album is "Bring on the Night."
Old 02-14-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joshua B
I'm excited about this title too. An obvious song that's not on the album is "Bring on the Night."
Sure it is, it's just part of the awesome medley of "Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down You Make The Best Of What's Still Around".. possibly the longest title in music history.
Old 02-14-05, 01:57 PM

Then I'm confused about what we're talking about. Music in the film that is not on Dream of the Blue Turtles...no?

And as for long titles, what about the Orb's, "A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain that Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld"?
Old 02-14-05, 02:14 PM

That's cool! Now when can we get 'The Synchronicity Concert' on DVD? I have a bootleg of it taped off a VHS tape, and that's not good enough.
Old 02-14-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
It's about damn time.
Old 02-14-05, 03:29 PM

emhello,
The Synchronicity concerty you reference, is that the one filmed in Atlanta and produced by Godley and Creme? If yes, that is a great concert, that I too had on VHS once. Sadly I've lost it and would love to have that on DVD much more than Sting's solo venture. The Police are one band that could reform today, and still be relevant. A tour would be akin to Pink Floyd, complete sellouts wherever they go.
Old 02-14-05, 03:49 PM

Do a DVD search on amazon for 'Rock Masters'. Would love to have that old 79 Police show as well. I'm assuming a lot of legal issues are holding up those old 70s TV concerts. It's a shame because those are like holy grails to us music fans. There are a lot of older MTV concerts, Austin City Limits, Old Grey Whistle Test, Musikladen, Fridays, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, etc. which are amazing. I'm dying for them to clean all these up and release them someday.
Old 02-14-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been loving the CD set for as long as I can remember...will be great to own this on DVD
Old 02-15-05, 03:56 PM

I like the first half because of the gret look at a band putting together new songs and arrangements. One of the funniest things now (besides Sting's agent who is still an over-the-top personality) is one of the interview pieces with Darrel Jones (Bass Player) where he make a comment like, "I'm not sure if you can really call this a "band" in that everyone has an equal say as to how things are done, but I am interested to see if it becomes that." I just find it funnier now as I am sure he has a GREAT deal of input in to the direction of his current "band", the Rolling Stones.
Old 02-16-05, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua B
Then I'm confused about what we're talking about. Music in the film that is not on Dream of the Blue Turtles...no?
I suspect the confusion stems from the fact that a double CD of live music (also) called "Bring on the Night" does exist. For instance, "Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down" and "Shadows in the Rain" are in that CD set, but aren't part of "Dream of the Blue Turtles".
Old 02-16-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chris Camfield
I suspect the confusion stems from the fact that a double CD of live music (also) called "Bring on the Night" does exist. For instance, "Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down" and "Shadows in the Rain" are in that CD set, but aren't part of "Dream of the Blue Turtles".
I think that's where it was coming into play. But.. "Shadows In The Rain" was on "...Blue Turtles", and not the live discs.

"Wait, wait! What key is this in?"
Old 02-16-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by emhello
Do a DVD search on amazon for 'Rock Masters'. Would love to have that old 79 Police show as well. I'm assuming a lot of legal issues are holding up those old 70s TV concerts. It's a shame because those are like holy grails to us music fans. There are a lot of older MTV concerts, Austin City Limits, Old Grey Whistle Test, Musikladen, Fridays, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, etc. which are amazing. I'm dying for them to clean all these up and release them someday.
This one pisses me off! It was set for release, and the RARHOF induction delayed it (Rumored). I ended up getting a copy, but would LOVE to buy the thing officially. It was released then went Out Of Print in Japan.

The Rock Masters show was the first time they played Message In A Bottle in front of an audience.
Old 02-16-05, 10:58 AM
Cool New Member

Im a bigSting fan but never warmed up to "Bring on the Night" I would however shit myself if that "Ten Summoners Tales" where he runs through the album at his castle..or "Summoners Travels" concert....these i would die for
Old 02-16-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
The Rock Masters show was the first time they played Message In A Bottle in front of an audience.
Is THAT what that is? I taped it off the radio a long time ago and just thought it was some cool concert the station had aired at one time or something. That concert had the most awesome version of "Fallout" I've heard.

After the Police concert, the radio played like three or four songs from a Sting concert, which I later.. um.. found on cd. I don't know what it is really. It's not an American release, but I don't think it's a bootleg either. I found it at the Jersey shore in a store on the boardwalk.

Okay, I'll try to curtail my postings in this thread.. hehehe.
Old 02-16-05, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
This one pisses me off! It was set for release, and the RARHOF induction delayed it (Rumored). I ended up getting a copy, but would LOVE to buy the thing officially. It was released then went Out Of Print in Japan.

So is this why ALL of those Rock Masters DVDs won't be coming out for several years still!? (The 77 Billy Joel, 77 AC/DC, etc.)
Old 02-17-05, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally, that wonderful performance of Sting, Branford and Kenny playing The Flintstone's Theme. My VHS has been missing for at least a decade.