Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a question about how they censor songs for radio play.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard this song on the radio tonight. It was No Surprise by Theory of a Dead Man. The song had the words "fuck" and "shit" in it. The first fuck was cut out completely. Then shit was allowed and the second fuck or fucked rather was uncut and completely noticable. Why do they cut out some words and leave others? This wasn't a raw track from a CD the DJ was playing because they said it was the band's newest single. Any insight?
Old 02-13-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone fucked up.
Old 02-14-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
A question I've always had, was how is it done? Does an artist record two versions, or does someone else go in and 'cut and paste' for lack of a better phrase.

I suppose this could apply to movies as well.
Old 02-14-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mndtrp
A question I've always had, was how is it done? Does an artist record two versions, or does someone else go in and 'cut and paste' for lack of a better phrase.

I suppose this could apply to movies as well.
Usually the record company will send a censored version out to the radio stations for airplay. All of the elements in the song (vocals, live instruments, synths, etc) are usually recorded separately and then mixed together, so it is easy to cut out a single word or two in the vocal track without interrupting the flow of the song. Other times the station will edit out the words by reversing that word or section that contains swearing (usually done with rap music)

Movies are similar; the dialogue is re-recorded to a separate stem on the mixing stage, which is also handy for redubbing the movie into a separate language. That way they can cut in a new line without cutting up the music and sound effects.

Last edited by FinkPish; 02-14-05 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-14-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I heard this song on the radio tonight. It was No Surprise by Theory of a Dead Man. The song had the words "fuck" and "shit" in it. The first fuck was cut out completely. Then shit was allowed and the second fuck or fucked rather was uncut and completely noticable. Why do they cut out some words and leave others? This wasn't a raw track from a CD the DJ was playing because they said it was the band's newest single. Any insight?

not thread crapping, but there was a thread recently about how profanity is "bad" on the radio, but some classic rock songs (the who comes to mind) have curse words... it might give you more info
Old 02-14-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Has anyone heard a censored rap album (like they sell at Wal-Mart)? I borrowed a friend's version of The Marshal Mathers LP, not realizing it was edited. It was completely unlistenable, like Emenem's mic was broken. Furthermore, every "shit" was allowed, so he was still cursing like crazy, even though you had no idea what he was rapping about.
I have no idea why they produce edited CDs like that. I understand cleaning things up for radio play, but if you like the music enough to buy the album, why get that one? It's still not appropriate for kids and it sounds terribly disjointed with all the silences.
Furthermore, I never understood why Wal-Mart insisted on selling those edited albums only. I mean, they're no worse than an R rated movie, and they have those in gross flowing out of their $5.50 bins all over the store. What's the difference? Why the hypocracy?

Last edited by Decker; 02-14-05 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-14-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I have no idea why they produce edited CDs like that.
WalMart. That's the only reason. They are such a high % of the market that labels must cater to them specifically.
Old 02-14-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Has anyone heard a censored rap album (like they sell at Wal-Mart)?
Years ago I bought Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) off of BMG, but didn't know that they only offered the edited version. All of the swears are replaced with clashing swords and other kung fu movie sounds. At least the edits fit in with the group's theme.
Old 02-14-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Years ago I bought Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) off of BMG, but didn't know that they only offered the edited version. All of the swears are replaced with clashing swords and other kung fu movie sounds. At least the edits fit in with the group's theme.
That's pretty funny.
Old 02-14-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought Walmart was going to start testing "Parental Advisory" cds in certain stores. If that becomes the norm, then they're going to take even more business away from other retailers.
Old 02-15-05, 03:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
WalMart. That's the only reason. They are such a high % of the market that labels must cater to them specifically.
Yep. Walmart has such incredible buying power in the music market that they can basically make or break an album just by refusing to sell it in their stores. They've also done this for some bands in the past, so they're not afraid to use that power.

And the reason they have that power is, oddly enough, because they do indeed sell one hell of a lot of music. Parents prefer to buy edited albums of their kids favorite artists, which will get smashed once the kid realizes that they are edited. It's a vicious circle.