Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivále - The Road to Damascus - Sunday 2/13/05

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnivále - The Road to Damascus - Sunday 2/13/05

The troupe breaks bread with another carnival and Samson makes a deal with an old friend named Sabina; Iris and Justin prepare for their most difficult sermon yet; Stumpy panics as Rita Sue goes on a charity mission; Jones and Stumpy both try to defend Libby's honor; Lila makes a new friend; and Ben and Sofie dance around family issues Don't miss the all-new episode, "The Road to Damascus" Sunday, February 13th at 9PM ET. In case you missed the last episode catch up in our episode guide.

VERY cool episode tonight. It was more laid back ala S1, but very good and awesome. The fight was very good but I was hoping Sumpy woulda held up a little better. Anyone else notice Lilas new friend was the bus driver from Speed? Oh and the new additions to the cast is very cool. The shemale looks very familiar though.

Anyone else think the Lodz eyes were very cool on Ruthie? And the part with Appy yelling no to Sophie during the sex scene freaked me out. I wonder whats going to happen now that she left the carnies.

Oh and damn whoever guessed Dolan would take the fall! Next weeks looks fantasic with the finding of Scudder.
Old 02-13-05, 10:10 PM

Things have gotten a bit icky if the Ben/Sofie being related theory pans out! Good episode, more character driven than the intense recent ones.
Old 02-14-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decent episode, and I'm sure that wasn't the last we'll see of Sophie. The Iris/Dolan thing was rather obvious... Poor Stumpy.

On a non-episode related note, I was thinking earlier... I guess we'll never find out who Hawkins killed before he met up with the Carnivale. It seemed to be inferred the murder was related to his powers in some episodes, but I'd say at this point considering where the story is going, that plot thread was either forgotten or shelved.
Old 02-14-05, 01:21 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Well, it's not like like Justin and Iris have never done some stuff together. I kinda adds a balance to things if Sophie and Ben still turn out to be half-siblings.
I wonder what the chances are that Sophie has gone to meet Justin after hearing his sermon?
Old 02-14-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Yeah, I was sort of wondering if Sophie wasn't going to be heading toward California (and Justin's ministry), too. Hope she doesn't end up like Celeste...

For a bit, I thought Justin was going to pin the fire on Balthus since he would unable to defend himself.

The sex scene between Ben and Sophie was pretty hot, even with the possibility of incest. (Though they still haven't come right out and revealed that Scudder was the Tattooed Man/Usher.)
Old 02-14-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I am starting to think they are not siblings. Surely with Ben's powers he would have picked up that Sophie is her sis, plus I took the symbolism of rain, during the Dust Bowl, to be a good thing, especially when it ends the instant Brother Justin comes on the radio.
Old 02-14-05, 09:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Must...resist...reading...this.

(Recorded last night's episode -- will watch tonight.)
Old 02-14-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The show is getting very hazy with Ben's powers.

Wasnt it inferred during S1 that he CAUSED the dustbowl drought just by existing (and possibly misusing his powers as a child)
Old 02-14-05, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Wasnt it inferred during S1 that he CAUSED the dustbowl drought just by existing (and possibly misusing his powers as a child)
I never picked that up. Whered you get it from, as in what scenes in S1 made you think that? Either way, its a damn interesting concept.
Old 02-14-05, 11:48 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
I never picked that up. Whered you get it from, as in what scenes in S1 made you think that? Either way, its a damn interesting concept.
I think that was actually just speculation that someone said in a thread here last season. I'm fairly certain that the show has never implied that. I could easily be wrong,though.

Edit: Yeah, it was speculation made in the pilot thread. 1st page, last post:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=Carnivale

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 02-14-05 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I know Ben didn't cause the dustbowl, but he can affect the weather. Remember the episode last season where Lodz stranded himself and Ben in the middle of nowhere and told Ben he could stop the dust storm if he wanted to.
I just assumed that Ben unconsciously caused the rain last night after he and Sofie had sex. I'm sure he was pretty happy.
Old 02-15-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by collven
I know Ben didn't cause the dustbowl, but he can affect the weather. Remember the episode last season where Lodz stranded himself and Ben in the middle of nowhere and told Ben he could stop the dust storm if he wanted to.
I just assumed that Ben unconsciously caused the rain last night after he and Sofie had sex. I'm sure he was pretty happy.
Yep, it was in "Black Blizzard"

Lodz and Ben's mysterious journey, the ferocious sandstorm has also caught with them as howling winds surround and rock their truck, Ben decides to try to sleep it out, but has barely closed his eyes when he hears Lodz walk out into the violent blast of dust. Chasing after him, he is choked, and has nearly drowned in dust when he blunders into an abandoned cabin. Inside, while the "Black Blizzard" rages on, Lodz finds an opportunity to probe into Ben's abilities and his past.

Lashing out, Ben screams for him to stop. And immediately the violent storm ceases. "You did that," Lodz tells him, and when Ben says "No..." the winds immediately start again. Lodz replies "you did that too", "Only God can make the weather stop" yells Ben. Further testing Ben, Lodz sears a hot poker from the fire into Ben's face, and within moments, the boy has healed. "You have the gift..." utters a now convinced Lodz. "Let me help you..."
While Ben didn't cause the dustbowl. Sampson implied in his monologue from the 2nd season opener that Hack Scutter did.
Old 02-15-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Yes, but remember Ben healing the little girl, and killing all her crops in the process. Add to this that his mother REFUSING to let Ben heal her because she KNEW some bad shit was gonna happen.

Basically, can we agree that either Ben, Scudder, or Justin is causing the drought?
Old 02-16-05, 08:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Finally watched this week's episode. I loved the scene with Ruthie at Lila's door with Lodz's eyes, "Where's the boy"?

I knew that thunder would roar during Ben and Sofie's intimate scene, but still effective. I wonder what the Scorpion lady and the "he-she" are going to add to the show?