Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Layer Change data?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Layer Change data?

Old 02-12-05, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Layer Change data?

Hi. I was wondering if there's a site out there that records when a layer change occurs on a particular disc? Sometimes I'm not sure if it's a layer change or a glitch on the disc..
Thanks
Old 02-12-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This data is sometimes in a DVD review... most reviews on thedigitalbits.com have this data for sure.
Old 02-12-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about every dvd player I've had, has featured a display that shows where the laser is tracking on the disc and the point it switches. I love this feature and wish all players had it.

You can always just list the dvd you're concerned about here as a thread. This will always be checked out by some members who have it...and then you'll know.
Old 02-12-05, 07:06 PM

Hey.. Yeah, I guess I should have listed the title I was wondering about in the first thread. It's King Arthur.. It was at the grave yard seen as Guinevere turns away from Lancelot to walk toward Arthur.. It seems kinda of an odd place for a layer change..

Is the feature that tracks the layer change called something? Might have to look at my manual to see if it has it..
Thanks
Old 02-12-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting question... I was wondering the same thing myself. I was watching Angels With Dirty Faces today and noticed a funny 'hiccup' in Chapter 14, when one of the Dead End kids was shooting pool. The frame skips once or twice just briefly, which doesn't seem at all like the typical freeze frame layer change I see on most disks. I played the movie on two players and it does the same thing.

Anyone have any insight into this particular example?
Old 02-12-05, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Just about every dvd player I've had, has featured a display that shows where the laser is tracking on the disc and the point it switches. I love this feature and wish all players had it.

You can always just list the dvd you're concerned about here as a thread. This will always be checked out by some members who have it...and then you'll know.
My player just briefly displays the word "Search" during a layer change.
Old 02-14-05, 12:38 PM
Cool New Member

johnsun,
The layer change on King Arthur (Director's Cut) occurs at 01:27:25 in chapter 9. That is the scene you are describing.

oxonce
Old 02-14-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Interesting question... I was wondering the same thing myself. I was watching Angels With Dirty Faces today and noticed a funny 'hiccup' in Chapter 14, when one of the Dead End kids was shooting pool. The frame skips once or twice just briefly, which doesn't seem at all like the typical freeze frame layer change I see on most disks. I played the movie on two players and it does the same thing.

Anyone have any insight into this particular example?
Yes, that was just God warning the kids that pool halls are evil and that they should follow the priest to the gym. I think I might have noticed a bolt of lightning too.

Hadn't noticed it the first time but there is a short freeze/stutter occuring in chapter 14 at 0:58:46
Considering the age of the film, my guess is that glitch is due to the source material and not to a DVD defect.
Old 02-14-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Yes, that was just God warning the kids that pool halls are evil and that they should follow the priest to the gym. I think I might have noticed a bolt of lightning too.

Hadn't noticed it the first time but there is a short freeze/stutter occuring in chapter 14 at 0:58:46
Considering the age of the film, my guess is that glitch is due to the source material and not to a DVD defect.
Thanks for checking on that, eXcentris. I was worried it might just be my copy that was bad, and was debating an exchange.