DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek The Animated Series pushed back til 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Trek The Animated Series pushed back til 2006

From the digital bits rumor mill

Finally today, there's been a lot of talk in the last couple of days regarding Star Trek: The Animated Series. Last June, our industry sources began hinting that The Animated Series might finally be released on DVD this year, concurrent with the recently announced release of Star Trek: Enterprise on DVD. Our sources are now telling us that the DVD release of The Animated Series has been pushed back to 2006. We've confirmed that it's definitely still planned, but it's now unlikely to arrive this year. Which is fine with most of you fans I'm sure. One Trek series on DVD a year is more than expensive enough. ;-)
Old 02-11-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, at least it's coming out sometime. But, I was really looking forward to watching these again.
Old 02-11-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And here I was looking forward to a Star Trek series under $100. Well.. okay, I was assuming it would be. Hey, one can hope!
Old 02-11-05, 08:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure it won't cost too, too much (I hope) but damn, I was really looking forward to getting this to go along with my TOS dvds. I hope they clean it up so the colors really pop!
Old 02-11-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Probably a good move on Paramount's part - considering that this and the Enterprise series is all they have left to release on DVD (although I'm sure new and improved Next Generation season sets are somewhere on the drawing board - perhaps for HD DVD) and the fact that there won't be a TV series or feature movie for at least 3 to 5 more years (at the least).

The animated series never held that much appeal for me, since I don't consider it "canon" (I know many do, but I don't). But I'll probably still pick up the set when it's finally released. Assuming it's not $100!
Old 02-11-05, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought TAS was great: it had some superb storylines including that very important piece of Spock history that has formed the basis of quite a few novels. It was all pretty sophisticated stuff for a "children's" show.

Most people certainly seem to regard it as canon...in fact I can't see why you wouldn't.

It is demonstrably the same ship with the same leading characters...aside from the additional alien crew members - which TOS could never have achieved - I don't think they took any real liberties with the continuity at all.

After all, they were even voiced by the real thing.

Only real liberty was the crummy theme music. Shame they couldn't use the original for that.

A little bird at Paramount (UK) told me to expect to see TAS here in r2 on DVD. No idea when though. Pity, I'd rather have had TAS before Enterprise, though it seems the thing these days to shove stuff out on DVD practically the day after it's transmitted. Maybe they want to sell while it's fresh in people's minds. And they knew the fate of Enterprise anyway.