Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help with HDTV question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey-

First off, I know this has probably been answered elsewhere, but I am not good with this technology, and I would really appreciate an answer in lamen's terms. *I searched but could NOT understand the lingo*

I have a Mitsubishi HDTV Upgradable (or whatever it is called -- it is NOT HD Built-In) TV purchased in Dec. 2002. There is NO DVI or HDMI on the back of the TV. If I want to get HDTV broadcast or play HD-DVD/Blu Ray movies, how is that going to work? Aren't component cables analog which defeats the purpose of even getting HDTV broadcast or HD-DVD/Blue Ray...Do I have to buy a new TV? Does this 'tuner' that cable companies give for HD broadcast convert analog to digital 100%??

Thanks to all
Old 02-10-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman

I have a Mitsubishi HDTV Upgradable (or whatever it is called -- it is NOT HD Built-In) TV purchased in Dec. 2002. There is NO DVI or HDMI on the back of the TV. If I want to get HDTV broadcast or play HD-DVD/Blu Ray movies, how is that going to work? Aren't component cables analog which defeats the purpose of even getting HDTV broadcast or HD-DVD/Blue Ray...Do I have to buy a new TV? Does this 'tuner' that cable companies give for HD broadcast convert analog to digital 100%??

Thanks to all
Here is a tutorial on connections

http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/dec-cable.asp

There are different kinds of DVI connections as well.

This 3-cable connection allows the chrominance (color) and luminance (brightness) portions of a video signal to be processed separately. S-video works similarly, but component video improves color accuracy further by splitting the chrominance signal into two portions.

Component video connections are found on most DVD players and HDTV tuners, and on a growing number of TVs and A/V receivers. However, this type of connection can vary in bandwidth from unit to unit. To pass progressive-scan DVD signals without noticeable softening of the picture, a component video connection should have bandwidth of 12 MHz or higher; passing HDTV signals without softening requires bandwidth of 30MHz or higher. If you are only slightly shy of the required bandwidth for the signal you're viewing and your TV is 36" or less, the picture softening may be extremely subtle, or even unnoticeable.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS..._glossary.html

I suggest you worry about "HD-DVD" when there is actually a player or receiver on the market with actual specs and connections to evaluate.

Unless there is a DVI output, using component cables is the preferred method of connecting any display device. YPbPr outputs are widely available on all progressive scan DVD players, HDTV set top boxes, and video game consoles, as well as on most digital cable/satellite boxes and newer DVD players. It is important to note that 3-RCA cables are only used for analog YPbPr component signals. Purely digital signals use DVI cables, which we will discuss shortly.

http://www.optomahometheater.com/howto/b8_3.asp

As for what your cable company gives you, you would need to ask them about their hardware.
Old 02-10-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks! im gonna read all this stuff
Old 02-11-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use component cables on my HD Broadcast. I have the same MITS too...probably. I love the HD channels.
Old 02-12-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I may completely wrong on this, but I believe if you are using component with HDTV you are usually only getting a 480p picture. DVI using HDCP is necessary for true HDTV 1080i or 7?0p pics because of protected content.

Is the Mits TV upgradeable to HDTV by adding an internal HDTV tuner? Or is it one of the sets that has to use an external tuner?
Old 02-12-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by renaldow
I may completely wrong on this, but I believe if you are using component with HDTV you are usually only getting a 480p picture. DVI using HDCP is necessary for true HDTV 1080i or 7?0p pics because of protected content.
That is wrong, component cables are perfectly fine for handling 720p or 1080i. That isn't to say that on a lot of sets, HDMI or DVI shows a substantial improvement in picture quality.
Old 02-12-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
That is wrong, component cables are perfectly fine for handling 720p or 1080i. That isn't to say that on a lot of sets, HDMI or DVI shows a substantial improvement in picture quality.
OK, that's good to know.