Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - Any News?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-10-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any update on when this doc will be released on DVD?
Old 02-10-05, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea, but they're making number 3 as we speak, so probably before that.
Old 02-10-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see a box set after 3 comes out (which I'm guessing is leading to Damien Echols' execution) and maybe have a 4th disc of unreleased stuff, the first two docs were amazing and I'm hoping the 3rd will be just as good.

Lets just hope they continue to use old Metallica music
Old 02-10-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. I had no idea that they were working on another chapter in the saga. I have held off seeing part 2 becuase I really wanted to see the original again beforehand. Hopefully the news of a new doc (part 3) will lead to a release of the first.
Old 06-14-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just ordered a Region 0 2 disc dvd set from this site - Warp Films . I've never purchased from this site, so I can't vouch for it.

This is what the site says, "FORMAT: NTSC, REGION: 0. THIS DVD WILL PLAY IN ANY REGION ON BOTH STANDARD DVD PLAYERS AND COMPUTERS. CUSTOMERS FROM THE UK AND EUROPE MAY HAVE TROUBLE PLAYING THIS DVD ON TELEVISIONS MANUFACTURED BEFORE 1990, IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS WE'LL HAPPILLY EXCHANGE THE DVD FOR A FULL REFUND."
Old 06-14-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Part 3 coming? Sa-weet!

The first two are, by far, some of the most compelling and intriguing documentaries I've seen. Looking forward to it!
Old 06-14-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any update on the case? are they still trying to do the DNA testing? it seems like they been trying for a couple years now, they havent raised the money yet? the website doesnt seem to give much info that i can find.
Old 06-14-05, 07:15 PM

www.wm3.org has updates on the case. So far nothing. I think Damien is either out of or almost out of appeals. As long as they are in Arkansas, they will not be let go. I would love to know what I missed that was proven to the jurors. They're releasing a 2 disc set in the UK of part 1 and 2 if it's not out already.
Old 06-14-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
www.wm3.org has updates on the case. So far nothing. I think Damien is either out of or almost out of appeals. As long as they are in Arkansas, they will not be let go. I would love to know what I missed that was proven to the jurors. They're releasing a 2 disc set in the UK of part 1 and 2 if it's not out already.
Like I said in my post above, I pre-ordered the 2 disc set today. It will be released on June 20.
Old 06-14-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 315 Likes on 208 Posts
I actually corresponded with Damien for a while. He seemed pretty overwhelmed by all the legal stuff--like it was so depressing that he just wanted to pull back and let his wife and the people who support him handle the details (can't really say I blame him).

If I remember correctly the evidence presented in court that didn't make it to the film was a green fiber and a black hair that resembles Damien's. The green fiber didn't seem conclusive to me (not that rare since it was from a children's shirt sold at Walmart). The hair is what they're trying to get DNA evidence on--it wasn't possible at the time, but now they can test hairs without the root. The whole science of studying hair (not the DNA, just the characteristics) is bogus and should have been thrown out, imo.

FWIW, I am not a supporter of freeing the West Memphis Three--I have no idea whether they're innocent or guilty, but I firmly believe that evidence such as reading horror novels, reading about the occult, and fashion sense has no business in a courtroom. What they need is a new trial or trials in a different venue.

The whole case has changed how I view police too--while I support being respectful (and tasering those who fight back or resist arrest) I would be pissed off as a parent if the cops interviewed any of my children without a lawyer and a parent present (can't believe that's legal ). I would be pissed and consult a lawyer if this happened for a few minutes, much less several hours as it did in this case.
Old 06-14-05, 11:46 PM

yeah but the UK version I mentioned would not be NTSC
Old 06-15-05, 08:10 AM

yeah but the UK version I mentioned would not be NTSC
"Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Lost 2", being released by Warp Films, are both NTSC. As far as I'm aware, this is the UK version.
Old 06-15-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattgoble
"Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Lost 2", being released by Warp Films, are both NTSC. As far as I'm aware, this is the UK version.
Yes, my original post says that it is NTSC Region 0 being released in the UK.
Old 06-15-05, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I just ordered a Region 0 2 disc dvd set from this site - Warp Films . I've never purchased from this site, so I can't vouch for it.

This is what the site says, "FORMAT: NTSC, REGION: 0. THIS DVD WILL PLAY IN ANY REGION ON BOTH STANDARD DVD PLAYERS AND COMPUTERS. CUSTOMERS FROM THE UK AND EUROPE MAY HAVE TROUBLE PLAYING THIS DVD ON TELEVISIONS MANUFACTURED BEFORE 1990, IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS WE'LL HAPPILLY EXCHANGE THE DVD FOR A FULL REFUND."
the site and the service are faultless. warp is one of englands longest surviving indepent record labels (about 16 years old) and the website has been retailing stuff out for maybe 6 years easily. i use them regularly, never had a problem. highly recommended.

you will also recieve an email if you find it necessary to contact them to ask questions directly. use without concern.
Old 06-15-05, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by joefrog91
Yes, my original post says that it is NTSC Region 0 being released in the UK.
JoeFrog, I was clarifying this for Compulsive DVD, hence me quoting him.
Old 06-15-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattgoble
JoeFrog, I was clarifying this for Compulsive DVD, hence me quoting him.
Sorry, I was beginning to think my post wasn't clear enough.
Old 06-30-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received the DVDs and they are pretty much what I expected for a region free disc. There was only one glitch I noticed on the first disc. It may have been my player though. I have an older Toshiba that won't play right sometimes. I enjoyed the commentary on the first movie. Definitely worth picking up.
Old 06-30-05, 05:09 PM

How wrong I was. It's strange that they would have an NTSC only dvd released in the UK. I ordered one from amazon uk for £14.14 total. Their shipping usually takes less time than our amazon.com. I can't wait to hear the commentary. I saw both of these movies theatrically and can't wait for the 3rd.
Old 07-04-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's strange that they would have an NTSC only dvd released in the UK.
a little strange, yes, but it has happened before. The first season of Sex and the City was released as a Region 2 NTSC in the UK.

back on topic, I need to consider getting these discs.....
Old 08-20-05, 01:03 PM

Paradise Lost comes out on October 25th from Docurama.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills is presented in fullscreen and Dolby Digital 2.0, and features 45 minutes of exclusive new footage, a timeline of events, trial updates and filmmaker bios. Retail is $26.95.
Old 08-20-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any word on the sequel?
Old 08-20-05, 02:32 PM

Paradise Lost 2 has been available on DVD for a long time.