Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinead O'Connor returning to music career

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that Sinead O'Connor did an interview with Hot Press today and said she's returning to her music career. She's supposedly working on three albums concurrently, and that her music will now be more "spiritualized" than in the past, in the sense that it'll be "roots/gospel/chant" oriented. I'm not a subscriber to Hot Press, so I couldn't access the entire interview on their web site. But, if anyone else out there is...

I never took her retirement very seriously--always figured she'd be back eventually. I think she's great, so i'm really glad to hear this.
Old 02-10-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That broad really needs to make up her mind. I love her, and have everything she's done, but she's one flaky gal.
Old 02-11-05, 12:46 AM

At least she's not predictable like Titney Spears et al!!!
Old 02-11-05, 07:54 AM

Yes, and unlike Spears, et al, Sinead has talent--lots of it.

And in terms of her being "flaky', well, to me she's honest. I don't think she really changes her mind, or rethinks her priorities, any more than most people; she just talks about it openly all the time. That may be a mistake sometimes, I guess, because she gets shit from people for some of the things she says and does, which just complicates things for her, but at least she has the courage to be herself, regardless of what other people think. And I really admire and respect that. I don't always agree with what she does or says--like her appearance at Dylan's 30th anniversary celebration; it wasn't about her, it was about him, but she turned the focus on herself--but with Sinead there's no pretense, no phoniness, and no posturing. And to me that's really refreshing because it's so rare among humans, famous or not.
Old 02-11-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sarcasm - HOORAY! - /sarcasm
Old 02-11-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike harnish
And in terms of her being "flaky', well, to me she's honest. I don't think she really changes her mind, or rethinks her priorities, any more than most people
I really don't think that most people go from hetero to lesbian, from layman to priestess, from musician to retired to musician (not to mention from hairy to bald to hairy ).
Old 02-11-05, 02:50 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

02-11) 12:27 PST LONDON, United Kingdom (AP) --

Irish singer Sinead O'Connor was quoted as saying Friday that she is returning to the spiritual music scene.

O'Connor is best known for her haunting voice, eclectic spiritual views and public actions such as shredding a picture of the pope on live TV, as well as her version of the Prince song "Nothing Compares 2 U."

Two years ago, O'Connor announced she was retiring to raise her three children. She also disclosed that she was battling a debilitating and painful fatigue illness called fibromyalgia.

The magazine Hotpress quoted her as saying she will perform on stage in the next few months at a special appearance in Belfast.

O'Connor reportedly said she was already working on material for three different records.

"I want to at least aim my records at a more spiritualized market," she was quoted as saying. "Religious songs with bad words, that's the best way I could describe it," she said. "I've been thinking for years the religious area of music has a huge gap in it. Needs a bit of punky filling."

In 1999, O'Connor was ordained as a priest in the Latin Tridentine Church by a rebel bishop. She then adopted the name Mother Bernadette Mary.

She said her friends and family had a strong influence on her comeback decision. "I like the idea of building musical bridges. So that's what I am up to," Hotpress quoted her as saying.

The British news agency Press Association reported O'Connor plans to sign a record deal with a New York-based company.

Old 02-11-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Hopefully she will also return to putting out good music (a la her first 2 albums) as opposed to the shit she mostly put out after that.