DVD Spot Is Down

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Spot Is Down

Old 02-10-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Spot Was Down

The DVD Spot website is down. This is what it says:
This Account Has Been Suspended. Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.
It's not my particular account because I never logged in previously. Does anyone know what happened? Sounds like someone didn't pay their bills?

Last edited by jarofclay73; 02-10-05 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 10:28 AM

I just saw this too.. hopefully it's nothing serious and it'll be up soon

Last edited by TheEdge21; 02-10-05 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never mind, folks. It's back up.
Old 02-10-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The reason:
Another fun morning in the life of running a website. Today members were greeted with a lovely message that said "This Account Has Been Suspended". After fighting my way into the helpdesk of DVDSpot's web hosting provider to find out what was going on, I was told our forums were under attack, so they shut us down. Apparently the version of phpBB (forum software) we run has a vulnerability that makes it susceptible to this attack. After finding this out I got them to help me upgrade it and we seem to be back online.

It looks like it wiped out some of the customizations I did so I will be accessing what needs to be redone. Thanks for sticking it out, all is good now.
Posted by Croy over on the DVDspot forums.
Old 02-10-05, 11:34 AM

Croy, DVDSpot's founder, just posted an explanation to the forums:

Another fun morning in the life of running a website. Today members were greeted with a lovely message that said "This Account Has Been Suspended". After fighting my way into the helpdesk of DVDSpot's web hosting provider to find out what was going on, I was told our forums were under attack, so they shut us down. Apparently the version of phpBB (forum software) we run has a vulnerability that makes it susceptible to this attack. After finding this out I got them to help me upgrade it and we seem to be back online.

It looks like it wiped out some of the customizations I did so I will be accessing what needs to be redone. Thanks for sticking it out, all is good now.
I was rummaging through the sofa cushions to see what I could send - now it looks like I can wait until the next payday.

Ma yi bo wa.