Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

evangelion definitive box set

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-09-05, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anybody tell me what is the complete and best boxset available of the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series? is it widescreen? are they coming out with a newer version soon? thanks
Old 02-09-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is currently only one box set available-the Perfect Collection. However, ADV is currently releasing this series in a Platinum Edition with very much improved audio and video quality over the Perfect Edition. There are seven volumes in the Platinum Collection and volume 5 is about to be released. I would recommend getting the Platinum over the Perfect Collection. BTW, it is presented in full screen, which is the OAR. The only widescreen version for Evangelion is the theatrical movie, "End of Evangelion". Unfortunately, this movie is not anamorphic.
Old 02-09-05, 02:46 PM

End of Evangelion is the second theatrical movie. The first, Death and Rebirth, is also non-anamorphic widescreen. (It's also almost completely pointless, being comprised of a series recap and then the beginning of EoE, but it exists nonetheless.)
Old 02-09-05, 03:03 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The definitive boxset is the R2 release of Renewal of Evangelion, which includes remastered video and DD5.1 of the TV series, plus the two movies and tons of extras.

For us in R1, get the individual Platinum Edition releases now. There may eventually be a PE boxset but don't count on it. The TV is licensed by ADV and the movies by Manga. So don't expect a boxset that has all of them.
Old 02-09-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But it's not cheap at all
Old 02-09-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
For us in R1, get the individual Platinum Edition releases now. There may eventually be a PE boxset but don't count on it.
You can buy Vol. 1 of the "Platinum Edition" remasters with a box that will store the subsequent volumes as you collect them.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 02-09-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The region 2 (Japan) Evangelion movies are anamorphic and they're even available with DTS. No English subtitles, but the picture quality is excellent.
Old 02-10-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I was cheap and got the Perfect Collection set for $40 shipped from RightStuff.com. It was just too good to pass up.
Old 02-10-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Platinum DVDs get a full thumbs up for me. The extras may be somewhat lacking, but really, so what? The audio and video is fantastic. And in an era where inserts have pretty much gone the way of the dodo, having a 12 (is it 12?) page booklet with each volume is a very nice touch.
Old 02-11-05, 04:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777
I was cheap and got the Perfect Collection set for $40 shipped from RightStuff.com. It was just too good to pass up.
But you're missing the director's cut on last few episodes though.