Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is causing these waves on my screen? Why can't someone figure this out?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've discovered my one month old display (Sony KP-57WS520) is causing faint, "dancing" waves most notable on darker backgrounds -- these are annoying!! The are kind of colorless -- kind of a grey color if anything. They look like "noise." They usually move left to right, though occasionally move from the lower left of screen to the upper right of screen (ripple effect). They also vary in intensity. The disappear for a minute....then come back...the go away for a few seconds, etc. However, if you sit sloe to the screen, they seem to always be there to at least some degree. Initially I thought this was noise interference. However, I hooked up another display I have (Sony KP61V80)to the same outlet, to the same player, etc. and the waves are not there.

I've tried different cables, different inputs, different DVD players, removing speakers away from TV, separating cables, plugging TV into five different outlets in house --- I've tried everything except powering my TV from a source independent from my house. Maybe I should buy some kind of power backup thing and power the TV from there and see.

I'm told these waves are not a ground loop wave -- as that's different in nature (more horizontal and upward in movement).

My house was just built last year and I live in a newer sub. I've experienced no other kind of power issues at all. I also have a Monster Stage 2 surge protector and power conditioner. The waves still appear regardless of whether the set is plugged into it or not.

Is this probably my TV's fault? And if so, what of my TV would need to be fixed or replaced? I suspected my the TV's power supply needs to be replaced --- does this sound plausible?

Any advice please. I'm getting frustrated as you can tell. I've posted this on my other forums and I get little if any response. It's frustrating because I had a tech come out the other day. He didn't know either. He thought I should just boost my contrast to 100% (no lie!!). He called Sony -- they told him nothing. So, I called Sony and escalated the matter --- so I should be hearing by the end of the week. But, I am trying to investigate this matter to talk to them about it because I get the feeling Sony is trying to weasle out of it.

Last edited by DavidH; 02-09-05 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-09-05, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say excellent way to limit out things by tring many different sources, other TV and different outlets as well as using the power conditioner. I can think of nothing other then it being a problem with the TV since you have limited so much else out and would continue to push hard with Sony. I used to have a similar problem with a TV in CA but ended up being power problems during the summer from the brownouts and a power conditioiner solved that. I will ask a guy I work with if he ever has seen this, he used to fix TV's before he started working where we are now.
Old 02-09-05, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the issue is present even with nothing connected to the TV, it's obviously the TV. The TV is a month old, so it's under warranty. Why are you trying to diagnose it further? Take it back and get it replaced.

RichC
Old 02-09-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with rdclark.

I have a KP-57WS500 and have had all three CRTs replaces once for the "flicker" problem, and a week or 2 ago had the blue CRT replaced again for blue curved lines on a dark screen. I believe many have had problems with the CRTs in the 520 as well.

Unless you got an excellent deal on the Sony, I would take it back, otherwise wait and see what Sony has to say. The number for SAYS is 888.779.7669, and that is who I called to get my CRTs replaced the first time.
Old 02-09-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I've had the TV for about 45 days now. Where I bought it from (ABC Warehouse) only had a 10 day return policy anyway.

jon-w9,

Fortunately, the flicker problem is not present in the 520 series. From reports on Sony forums (Home Theater Spot, etc.) the 520 has actually been a good set.

I will push them --- I should be hearing back from them by the end of the week.

Last edited by DavidH; 02-09-05 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sony called me back today. They recommended a different servicer come out --- so I have a different place coming out Monday. So, we'll see.
Old 02-09-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you tried www.agoraquest.com , my bookmark isn't working, so I don't know it the site is down or not.

Or ********:
http://www.********.com/voice/forumd...php?forumid=12

I see some people experience the problems with the 500, 510, 600, and 700 series, it is possible for the 520 to have problems too. Let me know how it works out. Did you get a service plan or anything?

EDIT: I didn't know it was a banned site, let me know if you want it or not...

Last edited by jon-w9; 02-09-05 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

jon-w9,

Thanks for the links. I just posted my problem there.

The infamous "flicker" problem was happening because of the type of (impregnated) CRTs they were using; basically the material used to impregnate the cathode attached itself to another section of the electron gun and cause a mild brightness fluctuation or change in hue; they do not use these kind of CRTs on the 520 series.

I did buy the extended four year service plan; however, everything is covered under the standard warranty.

Last edited by DavidH; 02-09-05 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something to remember too, is getting it fixed through the service plan counts towards their "lemon" rule usually. My Best Buy plan is if I get something fixed 3 times, then the 4th I get a new TV. I am currently halfway there.
Old 02-10-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does it have to be for the exact same problem with each 'fix'?