Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

AVP director's cut up in smoke?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-08-05, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I read a while back that the theatrical AVP was significantly watered down and de-clawed from Director Paul Anderson's original cut. I understood that his preferred version would eventually be out on DVD, probably some time later as a special edition. Now I'm reading everywhere that the version just now out on DVD(which is pretty much the theartrical cut with just a new opening segement that doesn't amount to much) is the end of it, there will be no other extended version.
Is this just hype to trick us into buying the current release? Any recent word on whether that extended cut will ever surface or not?
Old 02-08-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was smoke to begin with.

What I am to understand from teh countless other threads you could have read - Anderson lied to cover his hide in the face of fan's backlash. He claimed the studio watered it down and made him cut out bloody scenes, acting the victim. The crew he worked with do not back his claims, and such parts were never filmed.
Old 02-08-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup. P.W.S.A was just blowing smoke up everyone's asses to begin with.

He's said the same thing about Event Horizon for years. He was escaping mob justice from the Q&A session.
Old 02-08-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought a Spec.ed of Event was announced recently. I wish there would be a definitive closure to the AVP story. I hate going on what one guy on the internet says.
Old 02-08-05, 11:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. I guess I somehow missed the threads that discussed this. Last I knew there was high expectation that Anderson's extended version would eventually appear on DVD and be a vast improvement.
The irony is that I basically liked the movie just as it was in the theater. Certainly nowhere near the class of the alien series thru 3, or the original Predator, but it was entertaining and fun to see. Silly that Anderson would make up such a story since the truth was bound to come out.

Well I guess I'll go ahead and dip for the current release.
Old 02-09-05, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by digiboy
I'm sorry to hear this. I guess I somehow missed the threads that discussed this. Last I knew there was high expectation that Anderson's extended version would eventually appear on DVD and be a vast improvement.
The irony is that I basically liked the movie just as it was in the theater. Certainly nowhere near the class of the alien series thru 3, or the original Predator, but it was entertaining and fun to see. Silly that Anderson would make up such a story since the truth was bound to come out.

Well I guess I'll go ahead and dip for the current release.
Well, there's apparently a R2 2-disc SE coming out sometime. A R1 version probably isn't far behind.
Old 02-09-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any 2 disc will just be extra extras. there isn't any sort of deleted scenes, especially any that would qualify in making this R rated or gore fest like PWSA described it.
Old 02-09-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts
I just got around to watching this movie last night and find myself in the minority of people(well,of internet people at least) that liked it.
Old 02-09-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 494 Likes on 250 Posts
I thought someone messed with Cheech and Chong's first film.
Old 02-09-05, 01:03 AM

Bummer about the lies. I was hoping for a SE version as well. But I feel this movie will make it to the 2 for $20 or 2 for $15 bins by summer.
Old 02-09-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't believe a thing this guy says (PWSA) because he promised an "Uncut" Resident Evil too and when the new disc was announced it was just extra extras and no extended version. The only 2 directors that have not lied about extended editions of there films coming are Guillermo Del Toro & Kevin Smith
Old 02-09-05, 06:37 AM

and don't forget Peter Jackson
Old 02-09-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I already own the 2-disc R3 version of AVP. The first disc is basically the same as the R1 version. The second disc has several more minutes of deleted scenes that the R1 version doesn't have though (nothing really gory though). There also several pretty good documentary's on the pre-production, production, post-production. There's also a really cool featurette on the history of the AVP comics which I really enjoyed.

I read somewhere on the net that the whole interview with Paul Anderson talking about his directors cut of this movie was completely fabricated, so I don't expect a DC any time soon.
Old 02-09-05, 09:49 AM

So, how many seconds *were* there in an Aztec minute?

RichC
Old 02-09-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
So, how many seconds *were* there in an Aztec minute?

RichC
Good question. Lemme check the instructions on the clock.

(effortlessly reads thousands-of-years-old composite language)

Yup, about sixty. Weird, huh?