New James Dean Box Set, East of Eden, Rebel without a cause 2 disc, Giant

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-08-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the digital bits

More big release news today: Warner Bros has unveiled The Complete James Dean Collection for release on 5/31 (SRP $68.92). The box set will include East of Eden (available for the first time on DVD), a new 2-disc Rebel Without a Cause: Special Edition and the previously released 2-disc Giant: Special Edition. The set will feature new documentaries, audio commentaries, deleted scenes, "behind-the-scenes" featurettes, screen test footage and much more. All three titles will also be available separately for SRP $26.99 each.

from yahoo

''The Complete James Dean Collection'' Available on DVD May 31
Tuesday February 8, 2:00 pm ET
"East of Eden," "Rebel Without a Cause," "Giant"

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 8, 2005-- On May 31, Warner Home Video will celebrate the iconic film star, James Dean with the release for the first time ever of his complete motion picture legacy. A DVD Gift Set will include "East of Eden" (available for the first time on DVD), "Rebel Without a Cause" (new two-disc Special Edition) and "Giant" (two-disc Special Edition).
DVD special features include new documentaries, commentaries, deleted scenes, "Behind the Scenes" segments, screen tests and more. "The Complete James Dean Collection" will be available for $68.92 SRP. "East of Eden," "Rebel Without a Cause," and "Giant" will also be available individually for $26.99 SRP.

A yearlong multifaceted global celebration is planned to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Dean's death with events spanning the globe including a commemorative concert featuring major music artists and a "James Dean Fest" promotion in Dean's hometown of Marion, Indiana.

"East of Eden" - Unavailable on VHS since 1995, "East of Eden" is the first of three films that make up James Dean's movie legacy. Playing off the haunting sensitivity of Julie Harris, Dean's performance earned one of the film's four Academy AwardŽ nominations.

"Rebel Without a Cause" - James Dean plays Jim Stark, the new kid in town whose loneliness, frustration and anger mirrored those of postwar teens - and still reverberates 50 years later. Nominated for three Academy Awards, this landmark film was chosen as one of the all-time Top 100 American Films by the American Film Institute.

"Giant" - In his final film role, Dean stars as wrangler turned oil baron Jett Rink. Directed by George Stevens, this sprawling epic received ten Academy Award nominations including a Best Actor nod for Dean. Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and Dennis Hopper also star.
Old 02-08-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No East Of Eden by itself?
Old 02-08-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
No East Of Eden by itself?
"All three titles will also be available separately for SRP $26.99 each."
Old 02-08-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure I'm excited for Warner's Classic Comedies set and Musicals set and Controversial Classics set, but this - this is the one I've been waiting for. "East of Eden" is one of my most-wanted titles on DVD and I've been holding off on "Rebel without a Cause" in hopes of a special edition for several years now.
Old 02-08-05, 10:29 PM

Oh yes. I am all over this one! I held off on Rebel and never got around to buying Giant.

And finally, East Of Eden is coming!!!
Old 02-08-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool. I hope Rebel Without a Cause includes the supplemental material from the current DVD, which was quite good.
Old 02-08-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The collection is mine for sure. My EOE tape has been dying a slow death for some time now. This is great news indeed.
Old 02-08-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marty888
"All three titles will also be available separately for SRP $26.99 each."
I’m dyslexic you damn dirty bastard…

Thanks.
Old 02-09-05, 03:34 AM
Suspended

Yeah awesome news ... The JamesDean.com website also adds this ... "The box set will also include “James Dean: Forever Young,” a new documentary on Dean’s life and career. After several years in the making, “James Dean: Forever Young” will have its debut at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2005." ..... swwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeet ...

I've decided to go to the James Dean Fest as well ... June 3-5 in Marion, Indiana. Booked my hotel today ... woooooooooooooooooo. Man, what a year for James Dean and his fans.
Old 02-09-05, 08:45 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Sounds great!
Old 02-09-05, 09:53 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Does the MSRP seem a little high to anybody considering the recently announced Errol Flynn and John Wayne sets that have almost twice the movies?
Old 02-09-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've made my week!
Old 02-09-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news! I've been waiting a long damn time for EOE.
Old 02-09-05, 10:57 AM

Best news in a very, very long time!

The DVD version of EoE on a 92" screen is going to rock so damn hard. James Dean is one of my favorite actors of all time, and it's about time a DVD box in his name gets released.

I've never been so sure about a pre order in my life.

Crow331:
That sounds really cool! What's going to happen at this James Dean Fest? I'm so glad that people still appreciate Dean's work, not just the popular icon he has become.
Old 02-09-05, 12:18 PM
Suspended

I don't even know yet !!! HA .... Every year they have a "Remember James Dean" festival in Fairmount, Indiana and I have always wanted to go. 5 years ago I decided that for the 50th Anniversary of his death I would finally go figuring that it would be some huge event. Well apparently some very big things are planned and they moved it out of Fairmount (where Jimmy grew up) and put it in Marion, IN (his birthplace about 20 minutes from Fairmount) ... the festival will be held at the local airport which they will shutdown to accomodate the large number of people expected. I don't know anything about what is going to be there yet but if anyone is interested there is a website that should be updated in the next couple days www.jamesdeanfest.com

I figure the festival will be very cool no matter what and since Fairmount is so close I can go visit his hometown, the James Dean Memorial Gallery, the Fairmount Historical Museum, James' old haunts and his gravesite. Should be pretty cool.

Last edited by Crow331; 02-09-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I already have Giant I will have to buy the other 2 titles separately.
Old 02-09-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm all over EOE and Rebel. Already have Giant, and knew that a Rebel 2 discer was inevitable.

In EOE,
Spoiler:
the final scene with his dad takes your breath away. Ditto when he tries to repay his dad for the spoiled lettuce.

It's incredible to see his acting style vs someone like Rock Hudson in Giant. IIRC, he was really wasted in the "speech at the airport dedication" scene. Talk about method acting!

Dean was amazing--think of his legacy..the guy was only in three films!!!
Old 02-09-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hope they release Giant in a keepcase this time
Old 02-10-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love Warner Brothers.
Old 02-10-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can check out the cover art and more details here:
East of Eden
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...5819&n=1&burl=
Rebel Without a Cause
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...5820&n=1&burl=

I am not sure if I will double dip on Rebel. Maybe if the transfer is improved I will consider it.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 02-10-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Natalie Wood and Jim Bachus do the commentary on Rebel Without a Cause.
Old 02-10-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty sad that its the COMPLETE James Dean collection. Rebel Without a Cause looks like a digipack.
Old 02-10-05, 09:12 PM

Those are some nice looking covers I gotta say, especially Rebel.

I wonder though, it looks like East Of Eden's in a keepcase, but the picture of the Rebel Without A Cause cover doesn't really show what kind of case it is. Since Giant's in a digipack already, are they gonna re-release that in a keepcase for the set or what. It would be kinda silly to bundle them all together and have all different cases, cause it'd look as bad as the Harry Potter set.

Oh well, I'm still buying the movies either way, and that's what counts.
Old 02-11-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I love Warner Brothers.

same....warner brothers is amazing
Old 02-11-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Grandmaster C
Those are some nice looking covers I gotta say, especially Rebel.

I wonder though, it looks like East Of Eden's in a keepcase, but the picture of the Rebel Without A Cause cover doesn't really show what kind of case it is.
Actually the Rebel cover appears to look like the new Chariots of Fire DVD recently released. It's a keep case but it also has an external slip over cover.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.