Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How anal are you about your DVD's? (what's your story thread)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-08-05, 07:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

I know some of us are so OC about our collections that we swear we are going insane sometimes. I know for me I will check and re-check to make sure DVD's are in line with one another and really can't stand some Special Edition boxes that protrude ever so slightly so that the DVD's do not look like they are even all sitting there pretty all in a row.

It is a sickness I know.

So what's your story...Caffeine
Old 02-08-05, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest thing is to make sure the disc is in the case holder with the picture/title displayed straight! I also always remove the black plastic security strip that is inside the case. My friends/family think I am nuts......

John
Old 02-08-05, 07:45 PM
Suspended

my biggest thing is that i make sure each disk can actually play the fucking movie.
Old 02-08-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate when the outer paper sticks out past the plastic. That's how the paper gets torn and worn out. Really bugs me.
Old 02-08-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by natevines
I hate when the outer paper sticks out past the plastic. That's how the paper gets torn and worn out. Really bugs me.
Relating to that, I hate when the security stickers along the top/bottom stick to the part of the cover that may be protruding past the plastic, and then peel off the cover art when removed.
Old 02-08-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by zidane349
my biggest thing is that i make sure each disk can actually play the fucking movie.
Yep, same here. I always open it and play it a little bit to be sure it seems to work okay. I'll even preview the extras.

It only takes a few minutes to have a little peace of mind.
Old 02-08-05, 08:44 PM

I feel better now knowing I'm not alone
Old 02-08-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to keep all advertisements for-ev-er that were included in the case next to the insert.
Old 02-08-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All long as mine in are alphabetical order, and there is not scratches on the discs or damage on the boxes, I'm happy.
Old 02-09-05, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by natevines
me too...i hate that. sometimes companies produce the cover art longer than the case and i don't get it.

also, need the slipcase to be near perfect. they are very fragile and wear so easily. a lot of mine have nicks and such over time and that bugs me, but there really is nothing i can do.

also, if buying from B&M stores have to get the best one in terms of slipcover, even going so far as hiding the best in an obscure place if i can't buy it right away, like i did yesterday with "Malcolm X"...and to top that off the MX slipcase is shorter than the actual DVD case...that kills!

i know, sickness!
Old 02-09-05, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JSwarce
I also always remove the black plastic security strip that is inside the case. My friends/family think I am nuts......

John
just curious as to why you do this? wondering if the magnetic strip might do something to disc...hope not or another thing i'll be going crazy over.
Old 02-09-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to have all my single disk in a keep case, no snappers. If I can't find a custom cover, I scan the snap and make one myself. Sometimes I double dip just to get the keepcase version. I keep the wrapper on box sets buy just cutting the open side and reinforcing the wrap with clear box tape. I'm not worried about inserts but need a clean cover. I can't stand damaged keep cases. I give them to 'Good Will' and purchase new ones by the box. I like clear but black is ok.
Old 02-09-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm anal about most things. With DVDs I'm only worried about the physical condition of the disc as well as the case. It really bugs me when I get a cardboard case or boxset that has banged up corners. Unfortunately I've had to live with a few damaged boxes that were bought online because an exchange wasn't worth the hassle. It bugs me at first but once they've been on the shelf awhile I forget about it. It's just a tradeoff for some of the great deals I get online.

I take the security strip off too if I notice it, but it's not something I have to do.
Old 02-09-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
well obviously it has to play on my player. but other than that I am really anal about physical condition. when I buy DVDs I check (as others have mentioned) to make sure the paper jacket isn't sticking out so that it is stuck to the security stickers. I've had a couple occasions where the tape has torn off parts of the cover. with boxsets or digipaks I just check to make sure there aren't any dings or tears.
Old 02-09-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
When I'm ni the store buying a disc, I grab a handful (5-7) copies of the DVD and look at their spines. I choose the one where the lettering is centered best.
Old 02-09-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The physical condition of the disc gets me annoyed the most, since I examine it very carefully before I play it. The first sign of any scratch and I go in for an exchange. That's the pitfalls of boxed sets; it almost always seems to have a higher incidence of scratches -- one disc out of six will have scratch, and when you exchange it, it'll be a different disc that has the scratch, or worse.

I also don't like it when I come home and find there's deep crease/scratch on the spine of the case -- the kind that's deep enough to also put a crease or scratch on to paper sleeve of the art work. These are usually harder to detect due to the way the shrinkwrap is sealed.
Old 02-09-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Sensormatic tags are what gets me the most. I can't stand them and have to get them out of my cases ASAP. The thing that really irks me is when they're in box sets underneath the tray. 9 times out of 10 I can use a small knife and a pair of tweezers and get it out, but every once in a while, it'll start to rip the artwork, and I have to leave half of a mangled tag there or do more damage than it's worth.
Old 02-09-05, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
just curious as to why you do this? wondering if the magnetic strip might do something to disc...hope not or another thing i'll be going crazy over.
One concern is that over time, it is possible for the strip to unstick from the case and re-stick itself to the disc.

Of course, it doesn't happen too often and when it does, it can usually be removed without much, if any, damage, so there's really not much cause for concern. However, we all know that's never stopped anyone around here.

But really, it is just easier to throw the thing out the first time you open the case.
Old 02-09-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't stand a DVD case with UPC code sticker on top of the one covering up the original UPC code from the cover sheet. I always have to use my GooGone to remove the sticker. Anyone know why they put a UPC sticker on top of the original UPC sticker? I checked the UPC code and noticed they are always the same number.

Another thing I get really annoyed is scratches on my DVD. Especially annoying when I play the disc, and then noticed certain scenes pauses and skips. Why can't they make discs without pauses and skips?

Yet another thing I get really annoyed is that sometimes when I buy a new DVD, I would notice the cover art is inserted slightly crooked. So part of the top or bottom of the cover art is outside the plastic sheet of the DVD case. What happens is that a lot of times when I tried to remove the security sticker, it would rip up the cover sheet. Very annoying. Anyone have solution to this problem?

Last edited by mookiemeister; 02-09-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-09-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JSwarce
I also always remove the black plastic security strip that is inside the case. My friends/family think I am nuts......
John
Add me to the list for this habit. My wife just laughs at me, but I have to take them out.
Old 02-09-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im glad to see Im not alone.

Friends and family bust my chops because of the care I take in keeping and selecting DVDs.

Damaged packaging or damage disc all are no sales for me. Hell last week all nine (9) copies of Wonderfalls at Frys were dinged, warped, or ruined. I still have not found a 'mint' copy yet.

It took me two (2) months to find a 'mint' copy of the first season of The Family Guy.
Old 02-09-05, 12:14 PM
Banned

Has long has the disc plays, I'm happy. I do like to keep them neat and in order.
Old 02-09-05, 12:25 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before purchasing a DVD I've got compare 3-5 copies, making sure:

1. The cover paper does not go outside of the outer plastic and there are no rips etc.
2. The shake test to ensure the disk is not loose.
3. There are no scatches on the case
4. The case has not been opened and the it doesn't look like the store has taped on the outer plastic.
5. Making sure the thing is Widescreen

I probably look like a dufus holding 3-5 copies and going over them, but its the way I am.
Old 02-09-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do the shake test too, and get strange looks from people sometimes

I also never remove the plastic protection until im about to watch it.
Old 02-09-05, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
Before purchasing a DVD I've got compare 3-5 copies, making sure:

1. The cover paper does not go outside of the outer plastic and there are no rips etc.
2. The shake test to ensure the disk is not loose.
3. There are no scatches on the case
4. The case has not been opened and the it doesn't look like the store has taped on the outer plastic.
5. Making sure the thing is Widescreen

I probably look like a dufus holding 3-5 copies and going over them, but its the way I am.
me too...i always thinking people are looking at me so i try to be sly and take 1 or two copies at a time and then put them in the back and keep checking one at a time until i find the best. it drives me mad!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.