Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Losing interest in DVDs due to HDTV?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-08-05, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or are any others out there seriously losing interest in DVD format since getting HDTV sets and services? I know I am. Why should I buy or pay to rent DVDs when I can see the same movies with better quality on HDTV broadcasts? It was one thing when DVDs were better than broadcast SDTV but now they are worse than broadcast HDTV. I just dont want to buy them because I can cleraly see they are inferior to HD. Seems like a short term solution and a very bad long term investment. I think I will be one of those first in line to buy HD-DVD because at least Im not buying something already obsolete and known inferior if I buy HD-DVDs unlike DVDs.
Old 02-08-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope.
Old 02-08-05, 07:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
it's just you!
Old 02-08-05, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually I'm losing interest in DVDs since I already pretty much have/have seen everything that is currently out that interests me, and the new releases that interest me have been sparse. In fact I'm almost completely caught up w/ my back log of unwatched DVDs, commentaries and special features after which I'm not sure what I'm going to do
Old 02-08-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I haven't slowed down because of HDTV, but with a new DVD format on the horizon, being either HD or BluRay, I have mostly started renting instead of buying DVDs... I can hold out a year or two until the new format on most titles I really want... except for the odd few where I pick them up now regardless... some stuff like Old TV shows, I don't think HD will make look any better, so I won't wait for those...but for the most part, I've gone from 3 dvds a week to less than 3 a month.

MATT
Old 02-08-05, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by hifisapien
Is it just me or are any others out there seriously losing interest in DVD format since getting HDTV sets and services? I know I am. Why should I buy or pay to rent DVDs when I can see the same movies with better quality on HDTV broadcasts? It was one thing when DVDs were better than broadcast SDTV but now they are worse than broadcast HDTV. I just dont want to buy them because I can cleraly see they are inferior to HD. Seems like a short term solution and a very bad long term investment. I think I will be one of those first in line to buy HD-DVD because at least Im not buying something already obsolete and known inferior if I buy HD-DVDs unlike DVDs.
do you know for a FACT that dvds are obselete already? no, you don't. it's just you. have fun spending $1000+ for a hd-dvd player.
Old 02-08-05, 07:47 PM

actually, I have to admit I have slowed down a little. that discovery channel is addicting.
Old 02-08-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, I'm enjoying my DVD's right now as I did my laserdiscs 10 years ago. Ten years from now, I'll probably be saying the same thing about HD-DVD when that gets replaced by the next format. I don't view them as investments.
Old 02-08-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Not losing interest at all. I still get excited over a new release of a great movie.

It's going to be at least 5 years before HD/Blu-ray becomes a serious contender.
Old 02-08-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Not really slowing down, but it's pretty much stopped my double dipping (I'll just be content with the version I already own). I never double-dipped much anyway but now it's down to none.

I won't be first in line buying a new player. If current plans for two competing systems continue, one of them is already obsolete out of the box (plus, I'm cheap, so I won't probably ever be an early adopter--I'm grateful, though, for those of you that are).
Old 02-08-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
I have slowed down a bit...I haven't passed on any movies I'd really like to own, but I have found myself pushing titles of more marginal interest to the side more often than usual.

It's not that DVDs are unwatchable to me now that I have access to HD channels so much as that now I'm actually watching movies on TV, something I hadn't done in years and years. That's eating into my DVD watching time, so I don't feel as compelled to buy as much as usual.
Old 02-08-05, 08:26 PM
Banned

I wouldn't say that Im' losing interest. I would say that I'm MUCH more excited about whichever HD format comes out because of the potential. anything HD kicks DVD's butt easily.
Old 02-08-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not at all.
Old 02-08-05, 08:28 PM
Banned

Well, to be honest, most of my purchases are TV show sets. I probably buy probably on a TV-movie ratio of about 6:4 (60%-40%). And as mdc3000 said, most shows will never benefit from HD because a lot of them are limited to tape masters.

As for movies, eh? Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to replace all my movies with HD eventually, but I'll just be happy to finally be able to use Progressive Scan and perhaps up-convertence to 720p. I'm still stuck in Interlaced Land with my standard Flatscreen TV.
Old 02-08-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It has slowed me down. First double dipping slowed me down, then used stores/great deals I have found from this website (made me wait for a movie to go cheap), now HDDVD/Blu Ray. DVD's have made me paranoid.
Old 02-08-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My interest in DVD hasn't slowed any due watching HD broadcasts because depending on the channel and the source sometimes the HD isn't much better. HBO many times will upconvert and zoom in to fill the 16:9 screen. After doing this the result isn't much better than a well mastered DVD. If they would show everythng in OAR and use HD masters then it would be different. HD on other channels like TNT and the locals is still edited and interrupted with commercials so even the the image is better the experience is ruined.

I will say that I find myself watching a greater variety of programming now that I've added all of the new channels that digital cable has to offer over analog but when I want to watch a movie I still turn to DVD.
Old 02-08-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You're right - I'm NEVER going to buy anything again, 'cause it will always have a new and improved version snapping at its tail.

Hell, I'm not even gonna do my laundry again, because I know that there'll be a better detergent if I just wait a bit.
Old 02-08-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
You're right - I'm NEVER going to buy anything again, 'cause it will always have a new and improved version snapping at its tail.

Hell, I'm not even gonna do my laundry again, because I know that there'll be a better detergent if I just wait a bit.
Totally agree with you...if we all thought like that nobody would be buying all these fancy graphics cards and such because 3 months later a new better one always comes out...
Old 02-08-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by scott1598
it's just you!
yep...it is just you.

Pro-B
Old 02-08-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hifisapien
I have yet to see an HDTV broadcast that is superior to DVD playback. Background info:
Toshiba 34" HDTV 16:9 flatscreen tube attached to a Pioneer DV-578A Progressive Scan DVD Player via high-quality component cables. HD Cable receiver attached to same HDTV via another set of high-quality component cables.

I subscribe to HD channels with my cable provider. And although the image is sharper than digital cable, it still isn't noticeably different than DVD playback, maybe slightly WORSE than DVD.

I'd LOVE to see an HD picture better than DVD.
Old 02-08-05, 10:07 PM

I don't have HDTV, but to me the 2 main reasons I got into dvd's were......

#1 Widescreen versions of movies were more plentiful VS. VHS which rarely had Widescreen versions released.

#2 DVD is a more permanent longer lasting media than VHS.

There have been many movies that I own that have been re-released in various versions on DVD, but as long as I'm happy with the quality of the transfer and the extras are ok I don't upgrade to a better version, because there will always be another better version that will come along eventually. The fact that I know my dvd will last a long time means more to me than anything. I'm glad I waited to really start collecting movies until DVD came along instead of getting into Laserdiscs, which never really caught on. I always knew that buying VHS meant that it might get caught in a machine and get destroyed someday, so I never bought very many. With DVD's I know this will never happen.

As far as the future goes, I'm gonna hold onto my dvd's as long as possibe, because from what I read HD-DVD will be backwards compabitle anyway, so our dvd's will be safe for years to come. Until they stop making machines that will play them, I'm keeping my regular DVD collection as is.

HDTV may be able to produce a better image, but you can only watch the movie when it airs on TV and you don't get any extras that the DVD's have. On the other side of the coin I think that buying movies on DVD, HD-DVD, etc.... will become a thing of the past sooner or later. Eventually there will probably be a vast database that we can all access though our cable system that will allow us to view any movie, extra features, etc.... anytime of the day. This would then eliminate the need for a collection if you can access anything at anytime.

Last edited by stickz2; 02-08-05 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 10:17 PM

I bet the OP got rid of his VideoDisc collection , too......
Old 02-08-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've slowed down, mostly I just rent now. Hell, I still have maybe 50 dvds that I bought and still haven't watched.
Old 02-08-05, 10:49 PM

In a word: NOPE!!!

Keep in mind, alot of people don't have HDTV. And as far as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats go, I personally will wait and see which format comes out on top when all the dust has settled before I even think about purchasing a player. And I will wait even longer after that for the prices to come down on them!! I can't see shelling out a GRAND for a player!!

Take care all!!
Old 02-08-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I have yet to see an HDTV broadcast that is superior to DVD playback.
Either:

1) there's something wrong with your equipment chain
2) there's something wrong with your eyesight
3) there's something wrong with your cable provider

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.