Reload this Page >

Are Superbowls available on DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-08-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the Redskin Superbowls on DVD.

Is there anyplace I can get this?

I think the Superbowl box set that was recently (or not so recently) released only has highlights, not the games themselves.
Old 02-08-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...365613-5615005
Old 02-08-05, 10:19 AM

There are some older Superbowls available as well, but it's only the recent couple of discs that contain the entire game. I believe the only way to get the Redskins games is through the NFL Films Compilation sets.
Old 02-08-05, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Do those NFL Superbowl sets contain ALL of the superbowls (I guess up to XXX) in their entirety?

I don't want highlights, I want the whole game.

The descriptions are unclear if that is what they offer.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alien Redrum
Do those NFL Superbowl sets contain ALL of the superbowls (I guess up to XXX) in their entirety?

The descriptions are unclear if that is what they offer.

Thanks!
just highlights, I believe. each is 1 hour, though, so who knows. here's one of the negative reviews:

"I will not give the NFL a single red cent until they crawl out of their hole and release the complete unedited broadcasts of the entire games. They are wasting a great opportunity. How great it would be to watch every play, with all those great players of the past, to actually relive those great games. Who wants another edited rehash with some overpaid talking head pontificating about things every football fan already knows. Please do not buy this garbage. Make them do the right thing! "

you might want to read them or do a search. this information isn't that hard to find
Old 02-08-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alien Redrum

Sorry, just highlights.
Old 02-08-05, 10:38 AM

Damn.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty close to ordering it.
Old 02-08-05, 02:11 PM
Suspended

What the NFL needs to do is follow in the footsteps (even if its baby steps so far) of the NBA and start releasing full games on DVD. The NBA did it with the Lakers Dynasy Series and Bulls dynasty Series, both contained regular games, playoff games and finals games uncut. While this is just the tip of the iceberg, I hope we get more and that the NFL does the same thing.

Best thing I can suggest now is hit up ESPN classic or NFL network and cross your fingers.
Old 02-08-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animalmystic
Best thing I can suggest now is hit up ESPN classic or NFL network and cross your fingers.
But even those channels don't play complete games. The specials may be 90 or 120 minutes long, but there still highlight shows.
Old 02-08-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animalmystic
What the NFL needs to do is follow in the footsteps (even if its baby steps so far) of the NBA and start releasing full games on DVD. The NBA did it with the Lakers Dynasy Series and Bulls dynasty Series, both contained regular games, playoff games and finals games uncut.
That's not exactly true. So far I've only watched one of the games from the Lakers Dynasty Series set (the "Magic Baby-Hook" game), but that game was not uncut. About 2 or so minutes of playing time from each quarter was cut from the original broadcast. Maybe the original source material was damaged in some way, but since almost the same amount of time was edited from each quarter - I kinda doubt it.

Now, having said that, the parts they cut out were not critical at all, and I'm still overjoyed to be able to own this set!
Old 02-08-05, 03:34 PM

I never understood why they didn't release the full game. All they need to do is go on ebay to see the number of auctions from people selling dvds of the full game to see how big the market is. I remember trying to find a VHS of the Giants - Bills Super Bowl 10 years ago for my brother and not being able to find it.
Old 02-08-05, 08:15 PM

animalmystic, do you do your research or homework? You said the NFL needs to START releasing the entire games on DVD. Do you have the DVDs of Superbowls 37 or 38? Have you ever seen them? I didn't think so. The DVDs have the typical NFL Films stuff with the narrator, the music, the slo-mo shots, etc., which continue to be some of the best stuff ever produced, but a bonus feature of the DVDs are the entire games as broadcast with the original TV broadcasters calling the games. Every moment is there except for the commercials and, in the case of Superbowl 38, the halftime show. I'm sure Superbowl 39 will follow suit. If you want the entire games on DVD, start there.
Old 02-08-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Admiral7
animalmystic, do you do your research or homework? You said the NFL needs to START releasing the entire games on DVD. Do you have the DVDs of Superbowls 37 or 38? Have you ever seen them? I didn't think so. The DVDs have the typical NFL Films stuff with the narrator, the music, the slo-mo shots, etc., which continue to be some of the best stuff ever produced, but a bonus feature of the DVDs are the entire games as broadcast with the original TV broadcasters calling the games. Every moment is there except for the commercials and, in the case of Superbowl 38, the halftime show. I'm sure Superbowl 39 will follow suit. If you want the entire games on DVD, start there.
Sure, but don't the Redskins suck now?
Old 02-08-05, 11:01 PM
Suspended

Relax there buddy, don't be saying stuff that you don't know is true or not about me. For your info I have seen these. I don't personally own them, but I have. As for my comments, I was simply referring to OLDER games/Superbowls. Personally i would love to own Superbowl where Montana and Rice demolish Elway and the Broncis 55-10 I believe it was.
Old 02-09-05, 07:13 AM

These videos have the whole game? I have the Super Bowl XXXVIII and it doesn't have the complete game - the running time is only 95 minutes. Am I missing something? Did they just do this once with Super Bowl XXXVII (the Bucs Superbowl?)
Old 02-09-05, 10:43 AM

Chooch, you might wanna check your DVD out again. The main feature of the DVD is the NFL Films treatment, which I personally LOVE. As a bonus, the entire game as originally broadcast is on there as well.
Old 02-09-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
Have YOU watched the DVDs? These AREN'T the broadcast versions of the games...they are non-network footage of the plays with radio announcers doing the play by play and they only show the actual play - none of the in-between-the-snap stuff. The result is VERY unentertaining to watch, IMHO.
Old 02-09-05, 11:32 AM

Shannon, perhaps you should read my post. I was speaking on Superbowls 37 and 38. The bonus feature of the DVDs IS the entire game. The main feature is the NFL Films treatment as I've already stated several times. NFL Films has won numerous -- probably dozens -- of emmy awards over the years for what you consider "VERY unentertaining to watch." However, on the last two DVD releases of Superbowls 37 and 38 ONLY, and probably 39, which comes out in 3 weeks, the entire games ARE on there . . . ONCE AGAIN.
Old 02-09-05, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Have YOU watched the DVDs? These AREN'T the broadcast versions of the games...they are non-network footage of the plays with radio announcers doing the play by play and they only show the actual play - none of the in-between-the-snap stuff. The result is VERY unentertaining to watch, IMHO.
As far as I know the NFL has an exclusive contract with the NFL Films company. NFL games can only be "rebroadcast" by NFL Films, including Super Bowls. That's why you never see NFL games as broadcast on ESPN Classic for example. They only show the NFL Films version of games, which personally I can't stand. All the crazy closeups, weird angles, silly cuts, etc. I just don't like 'em.

I would love if the NFL would show actual broadcast versions of games, much like each and every sport does. As it is now I have to seek out old NFL games on videotape from people who happened to tape games. So far I have copies of 4 of the 5 Super Bowls that the Steelers played in. It ain't easy finding copies of Super Bowl broadcasts from 25-30 years ago. The VCR was not common at all.

Brett
Old 02-09-05, 11:36 AM

However, on the last two DVD releases of Superbowls 37 and 38 ONLY, and probably 39, which comes out in 3 weeks, the entire games ARE on there . . . ONCE AGAIN.
Wow, really? I didn't know that. I might start picking these up if they include the original broadcasts. I have to agree with the original poster, I don't like the NFL Films treatment compared to an original broadcast. The NFL Films treatment taken alone is OK I guess, just not my kind of thing.

Brett
Old 02-09-05, 01:26 PM

Chooch, with the running time being only 95 minutes, what do you think an entire game would be if it weren't for timeouts, commercials between possession changes, etc.? When you consider than the clock only runs for 60 minutes for the entire game (4 quarters of 15 minutes each), then an extra 55% of the actual clock time would constitute the entire game minus commercials -- football games have LOTS of commercials. Think about it . . . a 60 minute game takes 3-3 1/2 hours to broadcast. That's a lot of commercials.
Old 02-09-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chooch, you might wanna check your DVD out again. The main feature of the DVD is the NFL Films treatment, which I personally LOVE. As a bonus, the entire game as originally broadcast is on there as well.
I have the Super Bowl 38 DVD that you are talking about and it NOT the entire broadcast. Its every play, but all of the time between plays is cut out. Thats why its only 95 minutes (I think that total includes the NFL Films stuff). On top of that, its from the "world broadcast" with different announcers, and of course, its in fullframe (what I wouldnt give for a 16:9 DVD of the CBS broadcast).
Old 02-09-05, 02:30 PM

Admiral7,

I understand that, but I assumed the 95 minutes included the 60 minute highlight treatment, and the other 35 minutes are the bonus features. Apparently I didn't pop this one in the player. I am going to check it out when I go home though.
Old 02-09-05, 02:48 PM

Chooch, 95 minutes always refers to the actual feature of the disc, and does not take into account "bonus features."

ENDContra, I shall watch this again when I get home. I WAS, in fact, very irritated to read at the bottom on the back cover that it was presented in full frame in the aspect ratio of its original theatrical presentation. I thought, "That wasn't the original ratio presentation in MY house."
Old 02-09-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
Shannon, perhaps you should read my post. I was speaking on Superbowls 37 and 38. The bonus feature of the DVDs IS the entire game. The main feature is the NFL Films treatment as I've already stated several times. NFL Films has won numerous -- probably dozens -- of emmy awards over the years for what you consider "VERY unentertaining to watch." However, on the last two DVD releases of Superbowls 37 and 38 ONLY, and probably 39, which comes out in 3 weeks, the entire games ARE on there . . . ONCE AGAIN.
I WAS speaking of 37 and 38...they aren't the network broadcasts and they aren't the complete games (they are only the plays - you'll see nothing that happens in between the snaps). I did some more research on this and discovered what I thought were Radio announcers is actually the "International" broadcast of the Superbowl...what people in other countries listen to. But it's not the crew from ABC, NBC or FOX (whomever was broadcasting the game that year). And just to clarify, it's THIS feature that I find very unentertaining...NOT the NFL FILMS production of the Super Bowl highlights, which is always entertaining (even if the game was a blowout).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.