Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bloc Party

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-05, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Bloc Party

I have been reading about this band and have their EP on order from Amazon, my question is, what do these guys sound like? Who would you say they could be best compared to?
Old 02-08-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard that New Order is one of their influences.
Old 02-08-05, 12:27 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I don't really know how to categorise them Giles

I like them and then I don't like them. They remind me of a mix of the thrills and the cure or the smiths.

Some songs are very poppy other more heavy and doves like, I'd even go so far as to say they are ethereal. I don't think you'll be dissapointed at all.

I've been listening to the album for a few weeks now.

Latest buzz from my friend in eng-er-land is the bees. in at nr 5 with some groovy tune called chicken payback.

Also ambulance ltd.
Old 02-08-05, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I don't really know how to categorise them Giles

I like them and then I don't like them. They remind me of a mix of the thrills and the cure or the smiths.

Some songs are very poppy other more heavy and doves like, I'd even go so far as to say they are ethereal. I don't think you'll be dissapointed at all.

I've been listening to the album for a few weeks now.

Latest buzz from my friend in eng-er-land is the bees. in at nr 5 with some groovy tune called chicken payback.

Also ambulance ltd.
Yeah, their sound is kind of hard to pin down - the songs are so varied. I'd agree that they sound like the cure or the smiths, maybe add an 80's guitar sound like joy division or talking heads.

That Bees album is pretty good. It's very retro-60's sounding. Kinda like a funky Small Faces or Kinks. I love that Ambulance Ltd album, there's not a bad song on it.
Old 02-09-05, 02:40 AM

their biggest "hit" thus far, Banquet (which might also be my favorite of their songs) is very Interpol-ish, Gang of Four inspired, with the whole angular guitar post-punk thing going on. but it also has a very dancey beat to it, sort of Franz Ferdinand-ish (minus the smug self-awareness, of course). but other people are right in that their songs do vary a lot, oftentimes even using a different singer. they also have songs that do take a sort of almost ambient, ethereal quality. at times they're not quite as melodic as i would have liked, but when they hit the mark they're really great. on the whole, i'd say their sound is very 80s inspired angular post-punk (whatever that means). their lyrics are oftentimes political also, but in a very abstract, subtle way.

they came to LA a few months ago and played 3 low-key shows in 3 days- i was fortunate enough to go to 2 of them. this was right before the tidal wave of hype hit, so i was one of the lucky ones. at the first show even kele (the lead singer) was just hanging out on the floor as the opening band played- he's a very nice guy. if he did that now i'm sure he'd be bombarded by little girls in baby-t's and emo glasses. what's really striking about them (other than they play a great show) is just how young they are- all are early 20's, and could pass for younger. it's really mind-blowing to think where they'll be in another 5 or 10 years. then again, hype is a very powerful and addictive drug...

overall i'd tell you to imagine a more punk, sparse, political, and beat driven but far less darkanddreary Interpol, if Interpol was fronted by a more traditionally punk Damon Albarn, who just happened to be a black man.
Old 02-10-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I first heard Banquet awhile back it isntantly reminded me of very early Cure. Like others have said already that really doesn't help since there songs all sound so different. Their EP has been playing a lot in my MP3 player. I absolutely love it and I can not wait for their full length. I am afraid that it won't be nearly as good as the EP is though.
Old 02-10-05, 02:09 PM

Having their EP and their full length I can assure you it's just as good if not better!!!

Bloc Party caught my attention with banquet somewhere in the summer of last year, and I've been into them since. Saw them at the Reading festival, and last november in Amsterdam.

Apparently they're gigging in holland again in march sometime, I will be present once more.
Old 02-10-05, 04:36 PM

Did you get the full length with the DVD? I think I am going to pick that up. If so what exactly is on the DVD?
Old 02-10-05, 05:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
This is a great band.

I first saw their video for Banquet on MTV2 a while back and instantly loved it. The video is so sparse, and cheap feeling that it just conveys a realness that most of these 'post-punk' bands can't achieve. I agree with most everything that has been said, and I won't describe anymore. I'll just say that reading what everyone else has written...no one can pin it down to one distinct influence/sound.

The drummer is great mixing very basic straight forward beats with some really inventive stuff. And I love the fact that the singer is black. The EP is good, but their first LP is better.

They are a band like many of these other current, next big thing bands...but they give off something that makes you not aren't afriad of saying you love them. Ransom
Old 02-15-05, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by fnordboy
Did you get the full length with the DVD? I think I am going to pick that up. If so what exactly is on the DVD?
The DVD:

1. Positive Tension (Recorded live at Heaven)
2. Banquet (Recorded live at Heaven)
3. So Here We Are (Recorded live at Heaven)
4. She's Hearing Voices (Recorded live at Heaven)

So far the only online store that is sold out of the 'limited edition' CD/DVD is the UK's HMV website.

any of you have the 'Helicopter' CD-single? How is the Minotaur Shock remix of 'Tulips'?
Old 02-15-05, 10:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

That's the 1st track I heard from them, and I really like it, I got it as part of the Warchild Tracks

http://www.warchildmusic.com
Old 02-22-05, 10:51 PM

My copy of Silent Alarm finally arrived today. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but from what I have listened to of the album I am loving it. They definitely seem to have lived up to the expectations that their EP set up for them.

Old 03-13-05, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

The first four tracks on "Silent Alarm" are amazing - I especially enjoy 'Like Broken Glass.' Good stuff.
Old 03-20-05, 09:16 PM

Anyone know of any deals on Silent Alarm?

I didn't see any in the usual ads. Are there any good online or in store deals
Old 03-21-05, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

When I first started listening to the album I immediately fell in love with the first four tracks. Those were the most catchy to me, and probably the only ones that had names I could remember. Those first four slowly grew into the first six songs (Blue Light and She's Hearing Voices are brilliant), too. I also think Price of Gas and Compliments are on par with the first dozen. Good stuff.

As far as the b-sides and EP tracks, The Answer and Little Thoughts are my faves.

Can't wait to actually pick up the album tomorrow.
Old 03-22-05, 11:38 AM

I've been listening to the album a lot since I got it. It blows away the EP IMO, which I just didn't think was possible.
Old 03-22-05, 01:00 PM

I actually didn't care much for the EP, but the full-length is (IMO) terrific - definitely the best of the recent crop of "bands that at least sound a tiny bit like Gang of Four."
Old 03-25-05, 05:38 PM

I finally picked this up today and am very impressed. I like it a lot, but I imagine I will like it even more after a few listens.
Old 04-13-05, 08:02 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they are touring again. Got a pre-sale notice for tickets to the Fillmore in SF On June 1.
Old 04-14-05, 09:21 AM

well that's good news maybe this time they can play the larger 9:30 club, I got sick last Saturday night and couldn't make the show
Old 04-14-05, 09:23 AM

oh and the new NME has a compliation CD, that features a remix of one of their songs -sorry I'm being vague, but I'm having a senior moment.
Old 04-14-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
By the way, "Banquet" is available as a free download in MP3 format from Amazon.
Old 04-14-05, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
By the way, "Banquet" is available as a free download in MP3 format from Amazon.
the upcoming UK single Bloc Party - Banquet

is coming out on the 25th of April

can't wait to see what the B-side songs are.
Old 04-14-05, 04:54 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

M83 Remix of Pioneer
Old 05-09-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've listened to this album at least a dozen times now and it's definitely rising above the rest of the ones I have gotten recently. I have a secret fear that one of these songs will be used by ABC during an NBA Finals segment and these guys will go the Franz Ferdinand route of overexposure. Not that I would completely mind.

While Banquet is incredibly catchy, the sound on that song is similar to the rest of the album, so it is definitely worth picking up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.