Reload this Page >

Opinions on this DVD-Practice

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-08-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who searches libraries all over the county borrowing OOP/rare DVD's, claims he lost it, pays the cost of replacing it and sells it on ebay for MUCH more...Is this a bad practice or is he a genius? I am very conflicted. Is this ethica?l...I mean, nothing has been stolen. Any opinions??

Last edited by paulringodaman; 02-08-05 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-08-05, 01:23 AM

Why does this sound like a homework question for an ethics class?

I think this practice is a bad thing to do. It deprives the community of rare DVD's. The library is there for everyone's benifit, not one persons profit. By taking out of the collection DVD's that can't be replaced, he harms the community by depriving everyone from that DVD.

The only good thing I can think of is most librarys stamp their DVD somewhere which pretty much ruins it as a collectors item.
Old 02-08-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is pretty unethical. I mean the guy is lying about losing DVDs. Granted he pays the original MSRP for them, but the library has no way of replacing them at that costs.

I'm sure that this thread will get locked/deleted soon due to the nature of the subject matter.
Old 02-08-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only isn't it ethical, but your friend is pretty lame. Depriving that community of those dvd's just to make a buck is just...eh. Kinda goes against the whole principle of a library wouldn't you say?
Old 02-08-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's an easy way to think of it: if I took rare DVDs from your collection and did the same thing, would you be happier with the money or the DVD back?
Old 02-08-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not ethical in the slightest and seems like a big fat waste of time on your "friends" part.
Old 02-08-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
How often can he do this? The library must realise his losing more tha 1 dvd is a bit
lame.
The practice is disgusting.
Old 02-08-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's unethical.

If there was a way he could legally buy the disc from the library, then sure, it'd be fine.

I'm more curious as to which library this is, that doesn't know it has so many OOP discs and doesn't feel bad about one guy who loses them all the time.
Old 02-08-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe somebody would even have to ask if the practice is unethical or not.
Old 02-08-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why do i get the feeling that the friend may just be the op trying to justify it
Old 02-08-05, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It is not ethical in the slightest and seems like a big fat waste of time on your "friends" part.
didn't I read in another thread that you did this? Oh wait, it was actually, you would lose accidentally "lose" the DVD from a rental place and keep it for yourself. Link

Last edited by Dabaomb; 02-08-05 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-08-05, 05:25 AM

How can you say that nothing has been stolen? It's clearly unethical and certainly theft as well - it's just that the "crime" part of it is covered by his lie about 'losing' the materials. These days, libraries are much more networked with other libraries than ever before, so "problem patron" patterns emerge pretty quickly. If a library ever looked into one of his "lost" DVDs and discovered the truth, he could easily be prosecuted. In Maine, at least, we have a specific state law defining theft as it relates to library and museum materials - and this scenario clearly falls within that definition.
Old 02-08-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unethical all the way!
Old 02-08-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would be scummy to say he lost and keep it for his collection. To sell it for a profit just makes him a true waste of space, trash. Why would anyone have to ask if this was OK. If he offered to purchase it, and the library agreed, that would be ok, but he is basically stealing it and depriving other patrons of the said work. If he was my friend I would tell him to stop and if he did not, turn him into whatever authority is appropriate. If there was a good way to turn people in for pirating movie, I would turn in some of the people I know as it really erks me that people are to cheap to buy a movie.
Old 02-08-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pot meet kettle.

Define "lost". Cause there was a couple of BBV OOP dvds that I seem to have the bad luck of "losing".
Old 02-08-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine these DVDs are in great condition. Anything I've ever seen from a library has had some extent of scratches.
Old 02-08-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

unethical -- perhaps your friend can pilfer from collection boxes as well.
Old 02-08-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I have a friend...
Every great DVDTalk post starts this way.

DJ
Old 02-08-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by speedyray
If he was my friend I would tell him to stop and if he did not, turn him into whatever authority is appropriate.
you've gotta be kidding me. I can only imagine that you don't have too many friends
Old 02-08-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe the OP even has to ask this question.
Old 02-08-05, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by matome
I can't believe the OP even has to ask this question.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 02-08-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoever found that Jackskeleton posting stuff contradicting himself is really sharp.

1.) I can assure you that this is not an "I have a friend..." story which is actually about myself. It all started when the library "legally" offered to sell me The Beatles' "Help!" movie from them for $4.99. It was in semi-good condition with only an easy peal barcode (no stamps/stickers) and I knew that I wouldn't be seeing an updated version for years. Hearing this, my friend, who I consider a shrewd businessman (who has found some funny ways to make money -- all being legal (this was the most 'unethical' thing he has ever done)), saw that prices of Help! being sold on ebay, and decided to try his luck with other movies.

2.) I'd never do this...I'm more worried about depriving anyone of movies than legal ramifications. Even though I would never want to get it in trouble. I was really interested in opinions but I can see now that he is unethical. I will make sure to tell him.
Old 02-08-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With regard to your last post, you seem to be conflating illegal with unethical. They are not the same. Smoking pot is illegal but not unethical. Cheating on your spouse is unethical but not illegal.
Old 02-08-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,409 Likes on 905 Posts
You know, some libraries have a Rare Books room. He could check them out, "lose" them, sell them for hundreds of dollars each, and repay the library whatever pittance they originally spent on the volume. That would be a much more shrewd course of business than merely stealing DVDs.
Old 02-08-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I have a friend who searches libraries all over the county borrowing OOP/rare DVD's, claims he lost it, pays the cost of replacing it and sells it on ebay for MUCH more...Is this a bad practice or is he a genius? I am very conflicted. Is this ethica?l...I mean, nothing has been stolen. Any opinions??
Wow, if you even have to ask this...

I also have a question for everyone... Is it ethical to randomly approach old people on the street, beat the crap out of them, and take all their money? Any opinions??

Last edited by Al_Tahoe; 02-08-05 at 10:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.