DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Installed new RAM into notebook - odd results

mgbfan
02-08-05, 12:42 AM
So I installed a new 256MB ram SODIMM into my wife's Toshiba Sattelite A65 laptop today. I'm new to this, but it seemed pretty simple. Got it in, booted it up and got to the user select screen. When I selected, the thing crashed, couldn't get windows to get going. Obvious problem. Shut down and started over a few times. Kept having problems.

Finally, decided to just stick it in there good. Make sure everythign connected. Bam - worked. Got a few error messages, but I attribute that to all the bad restarts and shutdowns. It was going fine, much faster. Seemed to be a success.

Now, though, it's back to crashing when you get into the user select. I didn't touch the RAM since it had been working. Any ideas out there? I'm a total newbie to opening a computer up and adding stuff, so I just don't know.

Alvis
02-08-05, 01:53 PM
Take the new ram out and see if things return to normal.

mgbfan
02-08-05, 11:05 PM
When I take out the RAM, everythign is fine. Tech support is no help at all. They told me to exchange the unit, which I did. Not fixed.

The most confounding thing is that it worked for a little while. But now ... it just won't, no matter what.