Reload this Page >

Where's 'The White Shadow' ?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-07-05, 11:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great 80s show. Ken Howard (wig and all) was terrific as the coach. Very believable character.

Its unfortunate that its creator, Bruce Paltrow, passed away. We'll never see the extras that could have been.
Old 02-08-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin Hooks (Thorpe) and Tim Van Patten (Salami) are two of the best directors in television today, and I'd kill to hear some audio commentary from them (although it would never happen). I also can't imagine Ken Howard is being kept busy by not appearing in a Crossing Jordan episode for almost a year now. Of course, in the unlikely event this ever does hit DVD, it will almost certainly be as bare bones as possible.

das
Old 02-08-05, 11:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget that Thomas Carter (Hayward) directed the features 'Coach Carter' & "Save the Last Dance'.
Old 02-13-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 587 Likes on 338 Posts
This was a great show, and very different for its time. I'd snap it up if it ever came out on DVD!
Old 02-13-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, and it was cool because the "Warren Coolidge" character apperead every so often on "St. Elsewhere" as a hospital orderly. Guess he moved to Boston.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-13-05 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-13-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Imdb

Trivia for "The White Shadow" (1978)

*Coach Reeves attended Boston College, which is where he met principal Willis, who was on the basketball team with him.

*After graduating from Carver, Goldstein joined the Marines, Hayward went to college majoring in pre-law, Gomez became a mechanic and got married and Reese became a cab driver while pursuing his dream of becoming a singer. Coolidge moved to Boston and worked as an orderly at St. Eligius Hospital (AKA St. Elsewhere).

*The character of Jackson never graduated from Carver because he was killed when he accidentally walked into a store while it was being robbed.
Old 02-13-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More Imdb:

"This show was by far one of the best shows ever. Set in an inner city, the directors worked hard to make it realistic. And they did. Jackson got killed. Thorpe and Coolidge got herpes from the same woman. Reese fell victim to an unscrupulous high school coach. Salami had an affair with a teacher. Hayward's cousin died of a drug overdose. Goldstein struggled with his faith. Coach Reeves struggled with the death of a player during practice. Gomez joined a gang. The show's honesty and wonderful direction and script was so good it was even played on public television in some areas."

Old 02-13-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 494 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Yeah, and it was cool because the "Warren Coolidge" character apperead every so often on "St. Elsewhere" as a hospital orderly. Guess he moved to Boston.
There was an episode that Tim Van Patten guest starred in. When Coolidge saw his character he asked,"Salami?" then said,"Sorry. I thought you were someone else."
Old 02-13-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe the connection is that Bruce Paltrow worked on both shows. That's it I'm starting a similar thread for St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues.
Old 02-13-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ken Reeves: [Coach Reeves has just pulled all of his starting players from a game except his center] I'd pull you too Coolidge but you're so fat, you need to run.
Old 02-13-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just wishing for this last week. It pick it up for sure!