Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on how Netflix counts box sets?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I've been gone too long, so much has changed in last year. I went to add Superman the Animated Series to my queue and they count it as 3 discs!!? So I fooled around with other box sets and sure enough its like double the disc count amazon says. Anyone know reasoning for this? I take it they are counting flippers, but why? Alot box sets sell for $30 something now. So if movie is $15-20 for single queue slot I dont see why I should be punished with like 5-8 slots! I dont understand why they doing this now.
Old 02-07-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've noticed that Netflix often has "For Rental Only" discs of their Warner titles, especially. I wonder if that is what's causing the issue.

It's not a universal thing, though. The Reba: Season 1 (a FOX show) set was three flippers, and that came out fairly recently.
Old 02-08-05, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

Netflix is getting its own pressings of DVD's. They are a grey color and not for resale. I noticed this with West Wing. For the season one, Netflix rents out 4 DVDs. The episodes are on 3 flippers. For the second season, Netflix has their own set of 7 DVDs available for renting while the retail box has only 4 DVDs.
Old 02-13-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,223 Posts
But at least Netflix sends the series discs in order, unlike Blockbuster apparently.
Old 02-14-05, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustinS
But at least Netflix sends the series discs in order, unlike Blockbuster apparently.
It will if you add series discs "as a set". After you add the first disc, click on the "would you like to add the whole set?" button and that should take care of the problem.
Old 02-14-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's exactly how I do it, and I often don't get the sets in order.
Old 02-17-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just started looking into Netflix never having used any online rental services before. The primary reason I'm considering Netflix is my local rental stores do not have a very good selection of older titles and TV series which I'd like to watch.

If I sign up for the 3-out plan at $17.99 and I see various TV season sets which are listed as 4-DVD sets (or more), it sounds like I can request the entire season or individual discs in each season. If I say I want the entire season then as each DVD in the season set becomes available they will send it to me mixed in with the other titles in my queue. In other words, even though it says 4-DVD set they actually count it as 4 separate DVDs which might ship individually. Is this correct?

Reading some other threads, people said users who sign up for the 2 week trial get first priority (to make them not want to cancel the trial) and that the first DVD of season sets are the most popular. Therefore, does it make sense to request a bunch of disc 1's of season sets during the trial, and once I subscribe to request the remaining discs in the sets? I assume they allow you to request individual discs rather than only the first disc or the entire season?