Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Best of Intercontinental Championship (WWE)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-05, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of The Best of Intercontinental Championship (WWE) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14325 and...I thought it was a waste of time. He acted as if this was originally planned to be a brand new compilation DVD. It was meant as a re-release from the beginning, something that a lot of WWF fans are clamoring for. This review will do nothing but deter the WWE from putting out other re-releases.

BTW, all of the matches are watcheable. Just because these matches aren't ROH spotfest crap, doesn't make them unwatcheable, by any means.
Old 02-06-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for reading, and sorry you didn't agree...I wouldn't have reacted so strongly if the WWE would have exercised truth in advertising. As I said in the review, they weren't a terrible batch of matches overall, but they were hardly the best IC matches that the WWE has locked away in the vaults. They had a perfect opportunity to build a dated release into something more substantial...and they just got lazy.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 02-06-05 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 02:02 AM

My two cents

A bit silly I had to create an account just to post a reply, but since I had my two cents to offer, I registered and will post a reply anyway (even if this is the only time I post on these boards).

I already knew this was a re-release of an old WWF VHS tape, as they've been doing this a lot lately with videos that use the old "block logo" that doesn't present them any legal problems with the World Wildlife Fund. Up until now they had only picked videos that showcased stars who were still with the now WWE, such as Undertaker's "He Buried Them Alive" and Shawn Michaels' "Boyhood Dream." I came across this review when I was researching the copyright date of the original release, because when I add the videos to my collection I like to note the old date as well as the re-release date (yeah, I know it's a bit anal).

Anyway, I have to disagree with the comments made by the other user about this review - I think it was spot on. On the plus side I didn't pay as much for this DVD as the reviewer did (I think it was either $5.99 or $6.99 at Best Buy) but on the minus side it's not worth one cent more than I paid. Although I knew this was a re-release I did not own the original tape in my collection, so like the reviewer I had somewhat higher expectations of what an "Intercontinental Title" collection would be. What this collection offers is five mediocre matches all from a 1 year period that do nothing to establish why the IC title has such a prestigious 25 year history in the WWF. Everyone from Pat Patterson to the Honky Tonk Man to Razor Ramon to Steve Austin to The Rock to Chris Benoit has held this belt. Why then are we watching a reject jobber from the early 90's WWF named "Skinner" in a title match? What right did he even have to a title match at all? And this is the "Best" of the Intercontinental Title? That's laughable.

Honestly, I do applaud WWE for re-releasing old videos in their archive in DVD format, and I will continue to support their efforts by buying each one that comes out. In fact I would recommend "Andre the Giant" over this DVD. It came out the same week, and it's a reprisal of the rare 1985 video of the same name with a bevy of matches many of today's and even yesterday's WWF fans have probably never seen starring this mammoth athlete. As annoying as Lord 'Awful' Alfred Hayes usually is, his narration is actually appropriate to the era this is from, and in this case highly welcomed. "Best of the Intercontinental Title" is not for anybody but the diehard WWF/WWE fan though, because it hardly lives up to the name, and feels more like a showcase for a showboating Shawn Michaels than the true tribute this title deserves. Somewhere in their library there must be a video they can re-release which would do better justice to the belt than this, and if not, then they should spend the time and money to make one.
Old 02-08-05, 09:48 AM

Yea, maybe it wasn't the best set of matches, but I just don't want Vince and co. to read a review that blasts the DVD and for them to stop putting out Coluseum Video DVDs. I know there's a truckload of great, exclusive CV content out there(such as the Supertapes and a couple Wrestlefests) that were practicly events all to themselves.